Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 06-30-2005, 03:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Organizing help for toys in my living room

We live in a small place but it is 2 levels with steps. The problem that Im running into is that my kids bring their toys downstairs to play ( I cant expect them to stay in their room all day) and they get scattered everywhere from the living room, up the stairs into their room. Also, I hate the idea of my 2 yr. old carrying her toys up and down the steps.

Im going to place a toy basket in the living room but it is still unsightly. Should we get into practice of taking the basket back upstairs every night or should I try to find a place downstairs to "hide" the basket?

Any ideas?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-01-2005, 06:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Could you get a nice basket with a lid (like a big picnic basket) that you wouldn't have to "hide?"

Otherwise, as you understandably don't want your little one carrying toys on stairs, you could just use one of those big buckets with handles. The kids could put their toys in that, you could carry it up, and they could help put away when they are upstairs. If you needed a quick cleanup (guests are coming...), put everything in the bucket and stash it someplace.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:21 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

What about using one of those ottoman footrests that have a lid that opens and can be used for storage? They can store the toys when not in use. My other suggestion was to use a picnic basket (but someone already said that! )
Old 07-01-2005, 02:10 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have a smaller toybox down stairs for the downstairs toys *and for when relatives & Friends come over to play*
A storage tote would work too..and you could always throw a cute lil blanket over it and a lil throw pillow..that would be cute..

A Bench that opens too!
Old 07-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

A friend of mine uses a plastic cart with wheels that fits under one of her end tables. She makes a game out of picking up the toys so the kids enjoy helping too.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

A bench that has storage would be perfect if I could find one that didnt cost a fortune.

A picnic basket of sorts wouldnt be big enough. Im talking things like little people and their cars and house, my sons race cars ....etc.

I gave away 2 cedar chests before I moved because I didnt have room in our moving truck for them.

Thanks for all of the ideas!!

Tami

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 07-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Tami, Have you seen the Animal Hampers?? My dd has 2 of them, one is an elepphant, one is a teddy bear, the head part is the cover,and theyhold alot,and fit great in a corner, also if you have any flea markets or yard sales, you can always find those wooden wagons,take the wheels off(or you dont have to) and the toys go in there, and look cute, I even have a smaller type wooden wagon (full of teddy bears of course) in a corner of my living room. Another thing you can get the tall baskets with covers,(about 3feet tall) in walmart,they dont look out of place anywhere, and like my dd says, so what if it looks out of place, thats what makes my house unique, and comfortable for everyone!! I dont know what you have for windows, or if dh is handy, but you can do a window seat with a cover for under $20,dd has 2 in the kids bedroom, and I covered them for her. Just some ideas!! Have fun with it!

Hugs Sandie
Old 07-02-2005, 03:20 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing Toy organization

I am in the same boat you are in. I have a 20 month old baby who has way too many toys! I had to hid 2 basketfuls of them in my bedroom closet. Baskets have been helpful for me, though I guess fewer toys would be best - oh, well !!

- Missmansmommy
Old 07-02-2005, 07:13 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I ended up buying a couple of big plastic totes (21 gallon). When I know we have company coming I run them upstairs to their bedroom! Now mind you this doesnt cover all the toys lol. I have a third tote that is in the spare room and I rotate them. It is crazy all the toys we have! I also keep their hotwheels and matchbox cars in a plastic smaller storage box.

Leighann
Old 07-02-2005, 07:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Tami, Have you seen the Animal Hampers?? I havent seen these. Where did you buy them? They sound cute

Another thing you can get the tall baskets with covers,(about 3feet tall) in walmart,they dont look out of place anywhere, and like my dd says, so what if it looks out of place, thats what makes my house unique, and comfortable for everyone!! Are these plastic or wicker or ?? Sounds like they would fit into a small place but I wonder if they could get stuff out without having to dump it all out? Tell me more, I would like to check them out.

I dont know what you have for windows, or if dh is handy, but you can do a window seat with a cover for under $20,dd has 2 in the kids bedroom, and I covered them for her. Just some ideas!! Have fun with it! I would love this but I just dont have room to do that the way the room is set up.

Thanks for all of the ideas!!

Hugs Sandie[/QUOTE]

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus