Winter itchy legs? - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 11-18-2002, 09:04 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky Winter itchy legs?

Does anyone have a simple solution for itchy winter legs? When I put on lotion, it makes me feel like I am going to blow a gasket, like I am suffocating....... any idea?
Like maybe something to add to my bath water or something.....

Karen
Old 11-18-2002, 08:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

a milk bath sounds soothing to me,when running your bath water add about 1/2 to 1 cup of milk,right from your frig,and then ,just relax in it,and its so soothing and refreshing,and you skins feels so smooth , after wards,put on baby oil, and pat your skin dry,,dont rub the oil off,just pat lightly,,
i no my legs get so dry in the winter time and very itchy,,but i just also use a moisturizing lotion,and that helps me,,

sorry wish i could have been more help,
Old 11-19-2002, 04:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Itchy legs can be such a problem...one thing I have learned is not to take hot, hot showers in winter....I also think it is important to apply lotion as soon as you get out of the shower...it is easier to go on with the moisture already on your legs.

Now if you take tub baths...I have used oatmeal, right out of the kitchen, I would put a heaping amount in a hankie, or clean rag, washcloth and use a rubberband to close....as you are bathing, use the oatmeal pack you just made to glide over your skin. Oatmeal is a natural cleanser.

I wouldn't use baby oil in the tub...I have seen many people who got hurt this way and it makes the tub slippery, the mat and you really have to scrub the tub out to get the oil out.

janet
Old 11-19-2002, 05:31 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Winter Itchy Legs?

I always thought I had a dry skin problem, especially in the winter. My legs would get so dry and scaly. I haven't had any problems in almost 2 years, and to mention a great repsonse to the Oatmeal Milk and Honey.... in a bar soap. What I learned is that my skin problem was due to the soaps I was using. When I started using the Oatemeal Milk and Honey Soap, and I was using less amount of lotion. This was putting moisture back in my skin. I also love the grapeseed oil bath fizzies as well. When I have time to take a bath! It depends on the soaps you use, i personally think. I am now going on my second year with these products i use! They are also glycerin based. The Satin Shea Body Butter moisturizing cream is also great for the winter months.
bunnymom

[edited by moderator]
Old 11-20-2002, 06:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I work pt in a healthfood store. One lady had psorraisis (sp?) and she said she put straight echinecea tincture (a few drops) on the itchy area and it stopped immediately. She had extreme itching. I haven't tried it yet here, but I will try on my husband's shins this winter when he starts digging till he bleeds. :-(
Old 11-26-2002, 10:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dry skin

Karen,
I too have very dry skin and what really helps me is baby oil. After my shower, and while still wet, I'll cover all my dry spots with it. I pat it gently to dry and I find this really helps! Good luck.
Old 11-26-2002, 11:02 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have the same itchy dry skin problem.. although a milk bath is a good idea to soothe your skin the best thing i have found that worked for me. is Cetaphyl lotion it is kind of pricey but it does the job. My husband refused to go out with me because i couldn't stop digging at my legs.. he said that he was afraid people were going to think that i had bugs *lol*
if you use baby oil put it on after you use the lotion since the oil just stays on the top layers of your skin it doesn't soak completly in.
hope that helps
Old 11-26-2002, 11:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Any lotion or oil you apply after a bath, don't dry off completely. Apply it over slightly damp skin. It isn't the lotion itself that is "moisturizing" -- what it's doing is sealing IN moisture, i.e. water. This applies if you're moisturizing your face too.

Another thing is that if you are in cold weather and running the heater or central heat in your house, the air is getting dehumidified and that is drying to your skin. A humidifier in the house can help matters.

And thirdly, a diet that is extremely low-fat can trigger or aggravate dry skin. Adding "good fats" (like fish oils and cold-pressed olive oil) can be a huge boon to that dry skin.

Rani
Old 11-26-2002, 12:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Aveeno is similar to oatmeal and it comes in packages with just the right amount to add to the bath water. Use only warm water - not hot, and showering is even better. Lac-Hydrin is a very good lotion, but it has to be prescribed by a doctor (my dermatologist did it), and Gold Bond has an extra strength lotion which really works fast!

Just don't linger in the bath or shower, and my doctor said not to take a shower every day.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:25 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

The problem is you are using products with mineral oil and waxes that is just coating your skin instead of adding moisture. So as soon as your lotion wears off then you are really dry again. I've had that problem for years and now my legs feel great. During my shower I use a sea salt scrub and then I moisturize with a good body lotion.