Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 01-04-2005, 02:46 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

any ideas for home pedicures and dry skin

My feet and hands get dry and the hand creams just dont work very well. I have heard there are some home remedies that do well. I dont go to the salon often. I would appreciate any advice you have.

have a happy day
diane
Old 01-23-2005, 11:50 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

For my skin I use sugar and olive oil mixed together. Just mix together in a container and apply in the tub. Just be careful because it can make the tub extra slippery. For my son's eczema I use pure glycerin instead of any kind of lotion. You can buy it at the drug store in a 4 oz container for about $2.50. One container lasts a really long time. Just pour a little into your hands and rub in really well. This is about the best thing I have used for him and I tried many things. It doesn't burn either like lotion does on dry skin. I hope this helps out!

Shannon
Old 01-23-2005, 12:30 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Treat for Feet

My favorite is what my mother taught me: soak feet in warm water with baking soda in it. It's good for dry skin AND tired feet. I have also read that a paste of baking soda is good for your face. May be for hands also. (it's used as a "scrub" but it's soft.) And it certainly is cheap and non-toxic.
Try the foot soak.You'll like it, I'm sure. Pam
Old 01-23-2005, 01:19 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Here is one I got off some website, forgot which one. It is really great. Gave some to my friends for Christmas and they have all raved about how good it is. I use it as an overall lotion.

2- 9 oz. bottles of baby lotion (any brand)

1- 7.5 oz. jar of petroleum jelly (any brand)

1- 2 oz. bottle of vitamin E oil ( you can get this at Wal-Mart by the vitamins.

I added a fragrance oil to the second batch I made.

Put all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well with your mixer.

Put in jars with lids.

May seem a little greasy at first but after a few minutes the skin soaks it up.

Hope you enjoy.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:48 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Smoothe feet now

Thank you all for the tips for the dry skin. I knew there are some great home remedies that work better than the lotions. we all need to remember to take time out to pamper ourselves sometimes.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

This isn't a home remedy but My dh bought me some Burt's Bee's foot cream and it has worked miracles on my feet. It has a real thick petroleum type base- it is great!

Good Luck!
Old 01-24-2005, 03:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ohhh, I just love soaking my feet! Feels soooo good!

Here's an idea for when you have a few extra minutes: You don't need a fancy, bubbling foot spa (however, they are nice if you can swing it) just a dish tub filled with medium hot water. Pick up an inexpensive box of Vaseline Intensive Care Moisturizing Bath Beads and sprinkle generously into the water. About 2-3 TBSP. You can even add marbles in the bottom of the tub to rub your feet on. Don't need to cover the bottom with the marbles, just enough to rub your feet across.

Soak for about 5 minutes, then pull out a foot and pat it dry. Put cuticle oil on a cotton ball and rub it on the dry areas of your foot. Then resoak that foot. Repeat with other foot, and then soak for 10 minutes.

Pull feet from tub and dry off. Rub with a mixture of body cream and vaseline. Then put feet in separate plastic bags. Heat plain white socks in the microwave~~~but be careful! They can scorch if heated too long! Place your plastic bagged feet in the warmed socks. Leave on for 10 minutes. Remove and reapply mixture of body cream & vaseline. Put on socks again for the most benefit.

This really isn't a lot of trouble, just lengthy to type it all out! Plus, you DON'T need to buy the fancy, high priced creams, lotions, etc, just store brands or Suave, if you can find it. I buy the cuticle oil at a local beauty supply store, and it is less than $2.00 for the bottle which lasts a long time. The Vaseline Bath beads are about $2.00 a box at Walmart and also last a long time, and you can get a box of cheap baggies at the Dollar store.

Now, for the hands......

Boil a pot of plain water on the stove. Once it has come to a nice rolling boil with lots of steam, hold your hands in the steam and rub together. Be careful not to burn yourself!!! Rub until they begin to feel "moist", and then rub some more! Only takes a few minutes. Immediately follow with cream or lotion. Don't dry hands before you put on the cream, just rub it in with the moisture on your hands from the steam. You won't believe how quickly it works!

Good luck, and I hope these work as well for you!!

You miss 100% of the opportunities you don't take.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:48 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi, all of these sound great!
I saw the one about the sugar. Martha Stewart says she does this.
I wanted to make some of the sugar scrub to give as Christmas gifts , but, maybe I'm just silly, I wondered if you need x # of parts of sugar to x # of parts of the oil, and fragrance, too! How do I mix this and how long would it keep? Oh yeah, I have OILY skin, so...would this be recommended for oily skin?

And can you think of any other "home made spas" that I could put together for my friends? If you can, recipes for these spas would be greatly appreciated! Maybe I'm just too perfectionistic . I just want to get it right and give something that works the way it is suppost to!

Thanks y'all!
Katie
He cannot bless an indecision.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Kadee_diid!! Welcome to FC!! You will love it here!

Check out this website for some homemade skin recipes:

http://www.kitchencraftsnmore.net/bath3.html

I have tried several, and they are all wonderful so far. Good luck!!

You miss 100% of the opportunities you don't take.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:07 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thank you, so much, Debbie ! I took a quick look at the recipes, and they look Great! I can't do anything with them today . My husband is off today so that means, Christmas Shopping ; then we're taking our daughter to see Narnia when she gets off from school!

I especially liked the sound of the brown sugar scrubb!
Thanks,
Katie
He cannot bless an indecision.