Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 08-21-2003, 09:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Lifestar [/
The only thing I can't realy re-invent is left-over fish. It either gets reheated and eaten by "yours truly"...or it gets wasted. No one else seems to like it and I can't think of any ways to re-cycle a bit of remaining tuna, swordfish. scrod, or salmon. Funny thing, is, there never seems to BE any left over shrimp!

Any suggestions on this one? ( and please don't bother including cheeze sauces...I can't seem to palate the taste of fish and cheese together )

Lifestar:
I recycle fish all the time. Salmon is our favorite. I will grill the first night then have it the next day Italian Style. Just dump a can on Italian Style tomatoes on top with some onions and bake. mmm good.

Or flake it into a salad or pasta salad with a little lemon juice. I do the same with leftover tuna. Or with tuna you can always mix into leftover mac n cheese with a tablespoon of miracle whip for a mac n cheese salad. My step son loves this one!! He is now even getting where he wants to add cajun seasoning to it.

As far as other make over meals I do:

whole roasted chicken with potaotes and carrots one night is chicken pot pie or chicken soup the next. We also always seem to have leftover biscuits from breakfast so now I don't cook them all. I will keep 3 out to make chicken pot pie crust and top for that night. also keep all broth from any cooked chicken. I use the ice cube trays as someone else said. I also use ice cube trays for leftover wine. (Never cook with a wine you wouldn't drink) I then just throw a cube or two in my homemade sauce or soups. Flaked chicken also great for chicken salad.

echrich sausage gets grilled one night then cubed in a casserole dish with bbq sauce the next with kidney beans and shredded cheddar on top. Mmm good.

Italian sausage always gets grilled first then cubed up for salad or pasta salad or even a pasta casserole with left over veggies or thrown in a baggie to mix with homemade sauce.

All veggies get put into a baggie for chicken pot pie, soups, or shepards pie.

left over hot dogs get cut up in mac n cheese with miracle whip and cajun seasoning.

mashed potatoes get made into potato patties and thrown in skillet or used to top shepards pie.

left over boiled potatoes are mashed into mashed potatoes or added to soups.

left over baked potatoes are made into twice baked potatoes.

stale bread is saved for homemade stuffing (or to feed ducks by our house) stale crackers, ritz, etc are also good for this as well as breading for chicken cutlets.

stale corn flakes are used to make corn flake chicken. oven chicken that tastes like fried.

That is all I can think of right now.

TX Chef Fran
Old 08-21-2003, 10:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

after Thanksgiving casserole

Turkey Apple Casserole
from More-with-Less Cookbook by Doris Jantzen Longacre

Preheat oven to 400
Saute
2T margarine
3T minced onion
Stir in 1/2 t garlic poder
2T curry powder
1/4 c brown sugar
1 1/4 c turkey broth
2c pineapple juice
Heat almost to boiling. Add
2c soft bread crumbs, or use stuffing and reduce broth
3c diced unpeeled red apples (from the ones I hollowed out
for candleholders)
3c cubed turkey
Turn into a casserole dish. Sprinkle with
1/4 c buttered bread crumbs
Bake 20 minutes
Old 08-23-2003, 04:09 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I am still new to this Family Corner group and I am branching out now. ran across this one and glad I did.

OUR budget right now is low, due to alot of health problems for my husband so all the help I can get will come in handy, for he was the Left over King in our Kitchen. for he can take about whatever and turn it into something and it turns out good. He is a big help when it comes to left over cooking.

mom of 4 it does turn out good, we have done this and got hamburger meat and throw it into the veg, or to make a stew of of it. I would strongly sugest that you make sure the stuff you are using you use in a week, or put in freezer and use for later.

left over vegatables can also be stired into hamburger meat and add whatever to creeate a meal.

we have used left over pinto beans and turn it into a dish and use that as the base and can continue to add things to stretch it out for a week at times.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks!

Fran, that is a great suggestion for the salmon! I never thought of going the salad route, because I was thinking "hot foods"!

And just today, my Sunday paper had a reallly good looking salmon and cucumber salad recipe in their magazine. It had a sourcream and dill dressing.... I'll post it if you are interested.

Val
Old 07-27-2005, 07:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
This is an oldie but a goodie thread!!

Let's see if we can get some more ideas posted here!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-30-2005, 05:57 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I am one of those weirdos who detests left-overs. DH LOVES them though. He too has to take lunches to work, so I put left-overs in his lunches. So, in order for me to eat left-overs I re-invent them. Here are some of the things that I make:

potato patties (same thing as potato cakes) except I also use eggs. I put onion in mine too. They are also good with cheese.

chicken soup (I use the left-over carcass of a baked chicken.)

Stew (When I have left-over veggies and meat that isn't enough for a meal, I throw it into a container in the freezer. When the container gets full, I thaw and make stew.)

bread pudding (I make when there is left-over stale bread)

fritatta (I take left-over ham and also I can use the left over cheese pieces and veggies that are about to go bad.)

twice bake potatoes (These can be made if you have left-over baked potatoes)

breakfast burritos (Put left-over veggies or meat with eggs. Cook the eggs together with left-overs and scramble. Put in tortilla with grated cheese.)

Well, that's all I can think of at the top of my head.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 07-31-2005, 04:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Left over sausages become sausage and sauce sandwiches for kids school lunches.

Left over roasr becomes shepherds pie. (Just add veggies, maybe gravy or sauce) and top with mashed potato and cheese. Heat in oven. (Actually this is a planned leftover, I always try to buy a big enough cut of meat to accommodate sheperds pie!

Other left overs sometimes become dogs dinner, sometimes stews etc.

Veggies nearing their end usually become soup!
Old 07-31-2005, 08:59 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I pulled some pork roast out of the freezer and DH has been eating on it for a couple of days. I need to do something with it tomorrow. So, I am going to take some leftover veggies that I've been adding to a bowl in the freezer and add it with the roast and make a stew with it. I don't know what it'll taste like, but it'll use up all my leftovers.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 02-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Nine Year Member

Been using campbells condensed soups to add my leftovers too. There are so many varieties to choose from. The minestrone makes a great base for left over pork & chicken. So does the clam chowder over fish. They now have lower sodium levels which is great for your health.
Buying them when they are on sale is a great way to stock up on all of them.
_______
Sueanne

Old 02-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

When I can, I use many of the left overs as a casserole dish.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins