Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 08-20-2002, 01:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks for the tips! I will serve them over mashed and gravy tonight and tomorrow...I think I'll try the Brunswick stew mentioned on this site.
Old 08-29-2002, 02:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Brunswick Stew was great!

MKS,
Just had to thank you for sharing your Brunswick Stew story and recipie. I've managed to make it two seperate times this month and my family loves it. I have to also tell you that the first time around I used 2 cans of regular corn (no creamed corn in pantry) (with leftover pork loin) and it was even better than with the creamed corn that I used the second time. I'm making a brisket tonight and I'm already thinking of trying the Brunswick Stew with those leftovers! Thanks again--Mari
Old 08-29-2002, 02:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

mrs107 - That is so nice to hear that you liked the Brunswick stew! Did you drain the regular corn before putting it in? It's surprising that your family won't eat casseroles, but will eat the stew. Are people funny?
MKS
Old 08-29-2002, 06:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

MKS, I did NOT drain the canned corn. I figured the water would be a nutritious addition. And yes, it is funny that my family won't eat casseroles! They do not think of stews (which we all love) as a casserole. Isn't that odd? As a matter of fact I cannot mention the "c" word for any dish however, they will eat meals that other cooks refer to as casseroles! I just have to ensure that I refer to the meal as a "stew" or "bake" etc.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I was reading the treads this morning thank I needed a good chuckle.... At my house I tell mine your getting food, enjoy

Lastnight we had homemade soup made from left over stewbeef I put in the freezer after the boys were done grazing...

I get to start out fresh today no leftovers planing to fix sloppy joes. Homemade stlye no cans stuff here ,they want eat it .got them spoiled I guess

This be Tree
Old 06-26-2003, 06:39 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky Spaghetti Sauce Leftovers

I saw this recipe on tv one day. I never found out what the name of it was but my kids call it "Chili Pods". And they love it.

Using two Po Boy Bread buns, cut a V section out of the top of the bread and remove. You will only need a shell. You might need to peel out some more of the bread to make a nice hole. Coat the bread inside and out except for the outside bottom with butter or margarine. Sprinkle garlic salt over the butter lightly inside and out. Combine about 3 Tablespoonsful of spaghetti sauce with about 1 Tablespoonsful of cutup leftover meat and about 3 Tablespoonsful of your favorite cheese. We like cheddar and mozarella. (This usually stuffs 2 bread shells.) Stuff the sauce/cheese mixture into the bread. Sprinkle some mozarella cheese on top of the stuffed bread. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until the bread has browned. Serve warm. My son made the ones in the picture.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2003, 08:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
K9, Oh my that sandwich looks good....especially right now!! Ive been sitting here telling myself that I dont need any more fat grams or calories tonight. Thanks a lot!!! ;-)

I would have no problem eating that!

They look similar to what they called pizza burgers for school lunches.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-27-2003, 05:53 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle Thanks

My children have never said they have had it in school so I don't think they serve it here. I think the correct term for the bread I use is called Pistollettes. But I think you can use any kind of bun that you can make into a shell. My sister-in-law says they sound like there is too much cholesterol in them but I believe it is just what you want to put into it. They are really quick and easy to make.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:01 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Wow, all you ladies are very creative

The only thing I can think of right now is using mashed potatoes to make potato cakes. These are a little different than the usual recipe for Potato Cakes, this one has no eggs. I had read about potato cakes when dd was little and one day I just decided to experiment and she absolutely loved these. This half Irish child who hates potatoes-(I'm sure her ancestors are rolling in their graves right now)-loves these and will eat them before she would eggs and bacon. I even gave these to my nieces and they ate it up and asked for more.

Simple Potato Cakes

Leftover Mashed Potatoes-homemade or boxed with milk and butter/margarine in them.

flour

Mix the flour into the m. potatoes to form a stiff dough. Shape into a patty. Fry in bacon grease or oil with a little bit of bacon grease. Press each patty down as it fries. Brown and drain. Serve immediately.

You can add onions to it if you like, but my dd doesn't like un-guns-(onions)-as she says.

These aren't low-fat, obviously, but they are worth it!
Old 08-21-2003, 03:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Your Recipe sound similar to my but I fo use and egg.

this be Tree