Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 08-02-2002, 05:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Our leftovers usually go into soup, casseroles, burritos, omelettes, strata, stir fries, or fried rice.
Old 08-02-2002, 06:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Leftovers

I generally don't have too many leftovers since I have a Hoover upright fo a son. We generally have Kitchen Roulette on the night before trash is taken out. That's where I take all those bits of onions, peppers, potatoes, veggies and make a stir fry or omlette.
Sometimes there is a bit of meat, but that hardly ever happens. I've recycled leftover fish into seafood fajitas. Those were very good.

Stay Cool!

If you are coming to see me, come any time! If you are coming to see my house, make an appointment.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I keep a gallon size zipper bag in my freezer. Any left over veggies, pasta, rice, or beans go into it. When it is full enough, I make soup or stew out of the contents. I also add left over beef, or gravy to the bag. Sometimes all it needs is some additional beef broth to finish the dish. If you have left over grilled meat, fajitas don't use much meat and are quick and easy. Just saute some onions and green peppers, warm a flour tortilla and there you go. Dinner in a flash.
Old 08-02-2002, 02:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Tonight it wasn't WHAT we had left over but HOW we ate our left overs that was wonderful...

Here in the northeast, we have been having thunderstorms every week...it's like a bad horror film out there...torrential rain...heavy winds and thunder and lightening. I expect Bella Lugossi to drop by any moment. Needless to say, we haven't been using the fire pit very much. The kids miss the summertime feel of cooking outside, so tonight we had an indoor cook-out.

I had left-over hot dogs. Boring, right? Not when you have an "Indoor Campfire". I let the kids put the hot dogs on skewers, and "roast" their hot dogs over the gas range top as the wind and rain howled outside. We set up our coleman lanterns, and spread a blanket on the livingroom floor. We ate the dogs right off the skewers with chips and pickles and cut up veggies with ranch dressing for dipping. They loved it. Then yes....we had "Stove-top S'mores" I'll admit, the marshmallows weren't quite as tasty as they would have been if they were grilled over a wood fire, but what could be wrong with a gooey S'more no matter where it comes from?

So for left over hot dogs, we had a pretty fun meal!
Old 08-03-2002, 08:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

leftovers

Waste not want not! Making ends meet, especially on the grocery bill is an art. Leftovers, or planned overs as I like to think of them, is the creative part of the process. Ever thought of using KFC chicken to make the best noodle soup you've ever had...simmer leftover pieces of original recipe in enough water to cover them, then add onions you have sweated in a little olive oil or butter. After a rich broth has been made, remove the pieces and take the meat off the bone. Set this aside. Add noodles (extra wide egg noodles) cooking til done to taste. A little more water may be needed to accomodate the noodles. (dumplings are another option or maybe wild rice) Stir in shredded or cubed chicken and enjoy.

Another is to make steamed hamb. followed by macaroni and hamb. with onions; followed by chili mac; and then Italian soup. Leftover veggies can be added to a container and frozen til you are ready to make the Italian soup...leftover potatoes make an excellant thickener for cream soup. Keep a large selection of herbs and spices on hand and don't be afraid of trying them. Start out with package mixes i.e. Hamburger Helper (tm) or a similar product and doctor it up with additional veggies and noodles...read cookbooks for similar combinations; they'll help you learn what to add....goodluck. Try manufacturers websites for combinations. i.e. cakemixes make excellant cookies!
Old 08-04-2002, 06:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

leftovers

I have to tell my childhood story. When we needed to use up leftovers we would make Hungarian Goulash. We used a pound of ground beef, a can of mixed veggies then scoop the mold off the rest of the leftover veggies in the fridge & toss them in. Yes, this is true. My father grew up during the depression & was raising 5 kids on a teachers salary. We did not throw out much.
Today, I cook extra because my husband takes lunches to work. When I cook a basic meat & have leftovers, I love to make Brunswick Stew... my Dad's recipe:
2 cans cream corn
1 can tomatoes (I use tomato sauce because family complains about chunks of tomato)
1 onion, chopped
1 & 1/2 pounds meat (half being pork)
2/3 C ketchup
1/4 C worchestershire sauce
1/8 C vinegar
Salt & Pepper to taste
juice of 1 lemon
3 diced potatoes
Cook covered on low for 2 hours.
I vary things from time to time & I bet I could add some leftover veggies to it too. I might try that.
john11v5a
Old 08-04-2002, 06:41 PM
Nine Year Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainequilts
I use leftover taco meat for taco pizza or a taco salad for lunch for just me! I've mixed leftover meatloaf into taco meat.

My mom's favorite leftover dish was boiled potatoes, diced, fried with a little onion, salt and pepper. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

Place a scoop of leftover mashed potatoes on a slice of bologna, top with a piece of cheese, and place in the oven until warm and cheese is melted. We actually used to have that for hot lunch!
Ilove to add the potatoes,peppers & onion to leftover sausage it is my favorite. Sueanne
Old 08-20-2002, 05:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi All,
Lifestar had some wonderful suggestins for Leftovers! I'm struggling with how to use one big pork loin that I baked this past Saturday (I made 2 for a dinner party and the second one was not eaten). My dh & ds are very picky eaters and they will not eat casseroles (:mad: )! I've already served several pork sandwiches the last few days and I was thinking of slicing & freezing for future meals (in what though?).

Any ideas/suggestions would be extremely helpful

thanks-Mari
Old 08-20-2002, 08:41 AM

How about slices of pork in gravy over biscuits or mashed potatoes? I make this with turkey.

Stir fry or fried rice. Kabobs, grilled enough just to heat it up.
Old 08-20-2002, 09:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Treat them like chops

Other than the re-inventions already offered....When you re-serve the loin..treat it like chops. Slice it into loin chop sizes and just pan fry and serve. ( I like mine with saurkraut and caraway seeds ) You could even put a breading on it and fry them or oven bake them to re-heat them if they are not too well done at this point. Serve with any side dishes your family likes.

Or you could braise them in any recipie that has enough acid content to keep them tender ( tomato, wine, balsamic vineger, citrus, etc) and just go from there. <?>

I liked rainequilt's suggestions very much. The kabab idea sounded great. Makes me wish I had some leftover loin of pork!