Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 07-30-2002, 08:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi all,

Two things...

First the peanut thing...Peanuts are not true nuts, they're "legumes"...they grow underground, as the root of the peanut plant. Kids with peanut allergies can often eat "true nuts" like wallnuts, almonds, hazlenuts, etc...the ones that grow on trees... ...but manufactuers often mix peanuts in with "nut" products because peanuts are cheap... so beware...

Now leftovers...

I often will turn leftover meats, such as beef and pork, and fresh veggies of all kinds into Asian Stir-Fry. (Terriaki sauce, some ginger, garlic, a can of sliced water chestnuts, bamboo shoots and some hoisin sauce or red bean paste and you've got the makings of a Chinese meal ... My kids like canned baby corn and straw mushrooms too.)

I turn leftover mashed potatoes into croquequettes<sp?> or into cream of potato soup. They also top a sheppard's pie very well...and this is also where the left over canned or frozen veggies go.

Chicken or turkey leftovers becomes pot pies with the addition of leftover veggies, a can of cream of mushroom soup, and a pie crust...

Left-over meatballs or chicken cutletts, get parmiganna-ed the next night, either on a hero, or in a casserole... and sausages get paired with fried onions and peppers and put on a hunk of good Italian bread and served with cold beer... (but not to the children! LOL!)

Meatloaf becomes sandwiches or gets cut up into a spaghetti sauce...and tacos become a nacho platter.

The only thing I can't realy re-invent is left-over fish. It either gets reheated and eaten by "yours truly"...or it gets wasted. No one else seems to like it and I can't think of any ways to re-cycle a bit of remaining tuna, swordfish. scrod, or salmon. Funny thing, is, there never seems to BE any left over shrimp!

Any suggestions on this one? ( and please don't bother including cheeze sauces...I can't seem to palate the taste of fish and cheese together )

Old 07-30-2002, 11:31 AM
Nine Year Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lifestar
Hi all,

Two things...

First the peanut thing...Peanuts are not true nuts, they're "legumes"...they grow underground, as the root of the peanut plant. Kids with peanut allergies can often eat "true nuts" like wallnuts, almonds, hazlenuts, etc...the ones that grow on trees... ...but manufactuers often mix peanuts in with "nut" products because peanuts are cheap... so beware...

Now leftovers...

I often will turn leftover meats, such as beef and pork, and fresh veggies of all kinds into Asian Stir-Fry. (Terriaki sauce, some ginger, garlic, a can of sliced water chestnuts, bamboo shoots and some hoisin sauce or red bean paste and you've got the makings of a Chinese meal ... My kids like canned baby corn and straw mushrooms too.)

I turn leftover mashed potatoes into croquequettes<sp?> or into cream of potato soup. They also top a sheppard's pie very well...and this is also where the left over canned or frozen veggies go.

Chicken or turkey leftovers becomes pot pies with the addition of leftover veggies, a can of cream of mushroom soup, and a pie crust...

Left-over meatballs or chicken cutletts, get parmiganna-ed the next night, either on a hero, or in a casserole... and sausages get paired with fried onions and peppers and put on a hunk of good Italian bread and served with cold beer... (but not to the children! LOL!)

Meatloaf becomes sandwiches or gets cut up into a spaghetti sauce...and tacos become a nacho platter.

The only thing I can't realy re-invent is left-over fish. It either gets reheated and eaten by "yours truly"...or it gets wasted. No one else seems to like it and I can't think of any ways to re-cycle a bit of remaining tuna, swordfish. scrod, or salmon. Funny thing, is, there never seems to BE any left over shrimp!

Any suggestions on this one? ( and please don't bother including cheeze sauces...I can't seem to palate the taste of fish and cheese together )

I love leftover Salmon. Can either add to stirfry veggies & rice or mix it into chopped lettuce & tomato. Add some mayo and make a delicious salad. Hope this helps? Sueanne
Old 07-30-2002, 02:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

LifeStar - I agree with you on recycling leftover fish....except I do not like it reheated in the microwave. I can only eat it if it is wrapped in foil and reheated in the oven.

I usually take any leftovers and make "tv dinners". I freeze some for my family but mainly for my dear FIL since he can't cook but has mastered the microwave!
Old 07-30-2002, 07:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Mrs

My husband makes any leftover fish into a sandwich. I haven't tried it but it looks good. He especially likes leftover salmon for this but uses any kind we happen to have. Also I sometimes use little bits of leftover fried fish in fried rice.
Mary
Old 07-30-2002, 07:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Question Hmmmmmmmmmm

Have never had "Fish Fried Rice" before.

Sounds interesting.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:00 PM

I use leftover taco meat for taco pizza or a taco salad for lunch for just me! I've mixed leftover meatloaf into taco meat.

My mom's favorite leftover dish was boiled potatoes, diced, fried with a little onion, salt and pepper. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

Place a scoop of leftover mashed potatoes on a slice of bologna, top with a piece of cheese, and place in the oven until warm and cheese is melted. We actually used to have that for hot lunch!
Old 07-30-2002, 09:36 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Mrs

well, one of my favorite (and very simple) meals is fried fish, fried rice and sliced tomatoes, so guess it makes sense that I don't mind a little leftover fried fish in my fried rice. LOL
Mary
Old 07-30-2002, 10:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I like the Stir fry fish idea...it never occurred to me to do this to the fish! DUH!

Fish tacos...I've heard of them, but never eaten one...is it like a big tartar sauce & lettuce on a tortilla thing, or is it really "Mexican"?
Old 07-30-2002, 10:54 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Mrs

I ate a fish taco once in a little restaurant in the San Francisco Bay area....can't remember name of the restaurant but a travel book recommended going there for fish tacos so we did. It was in a tortilla but just had fish in it instead of other meat. It was pretty good.
Old 07-31-2002, 05:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Fish Tacos

On the "Whats for Dinner" thread, CulinaryJen posted a recipe for Catfish Tacos.

I have not been able to try it out yet but it sounds really scrumptious.

I am going to try it ASAP!!!