Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Getting Organized > Organizing > Kitchen/Dining Room Organization

Old 03-09-2002, 06:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Upgrading and investing in kitchen "stuff"

Hello!
When I return from working outside my home, I plan on "gettin' serious" with cooking...Can anyone suggest some helpful gadgets & goodies that I may not already have? I'm not a big cook yet, but I have a strong desire to be! Forgive me for being very basic here; I don't want to miss anything!

Here's what I have:
1. Crock Pot
2. Rice Cooker (standard Asian cookery!)
3. Breadmaker (1.5#)
4. Indoor BBQ Grill
5. Outdoor BBQ Grill
6. Wok
7. Dutch Oven
8. Roasting Pan (Turkey-Size)
9. Basic Pots & Frying Pans
10. Measuring Cups & Spoons
11. Plastic Mixing Bowl and Spoons
12. Bread, Muffin & Cake Pans (Need to upgrade, what sizes can I not live without?)
13. Cookie Sheets
14. Electric Mixer (need upgrade, any suggestions?)
15. Grain Mill
16. Blender
17. Waffle Maker
18. Electric Grill (the kind you cook pancakes and such on)

I would like to be more of a baker too, I have a friend who does Pampered Chef, are they any good?

Thanks!
Myra
Old 03-09-2002, 07:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Myra,

It sounds like you have quite alot of stuff already! Of the things you mentioned replacing, here are some of the items I really like.

1. Electric Mixer- I have a KitchenAid and LOVE it! I have the one that the bowl comes up to the beaters. Wouldn't want to function without it!

2. Baking Pans- I really like having a Bundt Pan. It makes a very nice looking cake, that looks pretty on a glass pedestal. I like how the cakes are for every day consumption too, no fussing with icing.

3.Muffin Pan- I like the ones with 12 muffins. They usually do a whole recipe without any empty places.

4.I like to have a Hand Mixer, for making whipping cream, etc., so I don't have to get out the big mixer just for a small amount.

5. If you plan to make alot of cookies, I would suggest a Silpat. It is a silicone-sort of mat that you put down on your cookie sheet, so that the cookies can't stick. They are really great and just wash up with a little soap and water. They are reuseable for many years. Rather pricey though.

6. I noticed that you already have a Crockpot. If you didn't, I would really suggest you buy a 5 or 6 quart size, since it seems that alot of recipes require this size.

Good Luck with your cooking and baking! Enjoy!

Jenna
Old 03-10-2002, 03:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

It seems you have it covered. If there are other items you need, you can always pick them up

One last thing... cookbooks or cooking sites with recipes
Old 03-10-2002, 06:31 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Myra

These articles may be helpful! They tell you what tools you'll need for a basic kitchen, and the other for a more advanced basic kitchen. I've also included a link to the basic pantry essentials!

The Basic Kitchen
http://www.thefamilycorner.com/famil..._kitchen.shtml

The Advanced Basic Kitchen
http://www.thefamilycorner.com/famil..._kitchen.shtml

The Basic Pantry
http://www.thefamilycorner.com/famil...c_pantry.shtml

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 03-14-2002, 06:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

If you are a coffee drinker, there is nothing better in the coffee world than grinding your own beans each time you make a cup of coffee so I would ad a coffee grinder to the list!
Old 03-24-2002, 07:14 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Again, along the cookie line, I would suggust AirBake cookie sheets for quality, even cooking and less-likely-to-stick. And get some of those stacking cookie-cooling racks--they only take up the space of one cooling rack when used, but you can stack several high.
A good stanless colander, too.
Buy quality, since you already have so many basics, and you won't be buying the same thing again in a few years.
Old 04-08-2002, 03:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I just bought a bunt pan and love it!! My next purchase will be a mini muffin pan! Sometimes a plate of the smaller muffins look nicer on a plate....especially when doing a buffet style brunch! I have purchased many Pampered Chef things including the stone wear pans! I love my PC bar pan from for pizza (dough I make in bread machine!) and turns out so awesome every time! I also love my garlic press from Pampered Chef. I use my cake decorating tools a lot...okay not quite a tool or appliance...but just the other day I had some girls over and filled celery with cheese whiz using a star tip to add to my veggie tray!! They loved it and was so easy. A crinkle cutter is cute for cheese and cucumber. Let us know what you add to collection. I have a very basic kitchen and think I should add too!
Old 04-25-2002, 02:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Two additional items to consider

I have about all the kitchen appliances and gadgets any cook could want, but two of my very favorite are fairly inexpensive and such a help! I have had both of them about five or six years and have used them so much that the brand names are worn off of them, although I believe both were Betty Crocker appliances.

The first is a little grinder (electric) that does away with the necessity of hauling out the big appliance. I think it was about $15 (maybe more, maybe less) and it grinds everything from onions to green pepper, ham bits, cheese, celery, bacon, nuts, makes bread crumbs, and on and on. That is the number one indispensible appliance in my kitchen!

The second is a vegetable steamer (electric). I think it was less than $20 and I use it almost every day. It has two baskets. The timer has long since been worn out so I have to use my oven timer, but the appliance itself still works like a dream.

I have used both of these little appliances so much that there is not one bit of writing on either appliance ... and when they go down, I will immediately buy them again! They are the handiest appliances ever.

Another one I really like is the egg poacher, which can also be used for hard boiling eggs. Works like a charm.

Sandie
Old 07-19-2002, 09:32 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hey eternalEfit
O.K. so I am a little biased , but I love Pampered Chef tools!! O.k. yes I sell them, but one of the reasons I do, is because I love them so much. When I started selling PC I never cooked!! Hated it!:mad: mostly b/c I wasn't any good at it. Well, now 2 years later, my 8 yo told me yesterday, "Mom, now that you've learned to cook, maybe you should start a restaurant". WEll, it isn't that I've learned that much about cooking, it's just now that I have the tools I need to make it easier and more enjoyable.

The nicest thing about PC is the price (compared to Crate N Barrel or William Sonoma) and the warranties that you get w/ your product. Not to mention , hopefully, the support of your consultant.

Good luck w/ your kitchen!!
Old 08-11-2002, 08:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Pamper Chef has some great products, but too pricey for me...I do own a PC whisk. lol

I like the Good Grip kitchen tools...it is great for people with sore hands...I have quite a selection of them and the best ICE CREAM SPADE!!! no more scoops for me. It really gets that rock hard ice cream out of the container!!! Check it out next time you are looking at kitchen tools.

janet