Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Getting Organized > Organizing > Kitchen/Dining Room Organization

Old 08-29-2008, 08:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I keep our favorite family recipes in a 3 ring binder and sort them by categories. I keep a folder for the recipes I want to try soon, and then there are the books and collections. When I try a new recipe (and it is a keeper) I take a picture for the record and make variation comments. The reason for keeping the recipes in a separate binder is so that my children will not have a difficult time finding the recipes they want to share with their families in future.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:47 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have a pile of recipes unorganized too. I started separating them into categories and put them in a very large 3 ring binder in sheet protectors. I'm still not finished and I don't think the binder, which is a 3" thick big one, will hold them all.

I saw an idea somewhere recently where they said to put the recipes you have tried and want to keep onto recipe cards. You can then put them into a photo album that has the pocket sleeves for 4x6" pictures. The recipe cards will slide right in and when you need it slide it out and you won't have a big book to deal with. I'm working towards this, but I'm constantly printing recipes, so I don't think I will ever be completely organized. It's turning into a huge project!
Old 08-30-2008, 07:21 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi to ALL~
I use the computer and "notepad" to keep track of all my loose recipes. I type these into the notepad, then when I've got so many on the hard drive, I put them on disks. I must have about 30 different disks. I really don't need the photos, because the recipes I seem to make, don't look like the pics anyway!

As for the cook books, I try to keep those somewhat neat and on the shelf in the closet. Some are older than I am!

Hugs, Gwen
Old 09-01-2008, 05:32 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julzy
I saw an idea somewhere recently where they said to put the recipes you have tried and want to keep onto recipe cards. You can then put them into a photo album that has the pocket sleeves for 4x6" pictures. The recipe cards will slide right in and when you need it slide it out and you won't have a big book to deal with.
Nice to meet you too Julzy! I think the recipe idea is good in theory, but I have quite a few recipes that are very wordy and am not sure they would fit on index cards LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyga911
I really don't need the photos, because the recipes I seem to make, don't look like the pics anyway!
Just had to laugh at this comment! LOL

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 09-01-2008, 09:32 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I started on this last summer and got sidetracked!

Need to get busy!
Old 09-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Was so hard 4 me 2 get started on this but once it started going 2 gether all went so darn smooth...............Now I JUST LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2008, 02:12 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

You will be proud of me. I sat outside this morning, scissors, glue stick and binder in hand. I put all my loose recipes onto sheets of looseleaf paper. I put stickers on my TNT recipes and made any comments I could remember in pen. I bought some tabs to separate them by category today. Haven't put those in yet. This only counts the recipes that I had cut out. It doesn't count the gazillion I have saved in my favorites, still need to print those out.

BUT this was very helpful for planning my menu this week. I shopped for everything today. :>)

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 09-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Good going Amanda. I printed out some more recipes and bought my stickers to put by the TNT ones. The Taco Rolls will have a sticker for sure
Old 09-01-2008, 04:19 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks Patti! I actually say down with the tabs after dinner and put them all in categories. I still need to print out loads of recipes I have saved in my faves, but I'll get to that someday. Right now I already have a ton to try.

I'm baking an Orange Cobbler right now as a matter of fact!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 09-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I too have lots to print got to watch my ink right now tho'.
Headed to bed to read a bit. Good nite all