Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Getting Organized > Organizing > Kitchen/Dining Room Organization

Old 08-27-2008, 12:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

We all seem to have the same problem. Too many saved recipes. Every year we seem to have a new collection we must keep. I too put them in plastic covers than divide them into different catagories with name slips. Using a wider loose leaf book helps.
Most of the time it is easier to google and see the different variations of an old favorite. Now I have a copy printed of that too to add to my book.

I am now more interested in low fat & less sugar versions. Might have to start getting rid of alot of old recipes.
_______
Sueanne

Old 08-27-2008, 02:16 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My recipes get popped into a clear sleeved book, 20 sleeves front and back so holds 40 or more recipes these are my most used recipes, I try to print them out on the computer for this so that I can understand them as some times when I write in a hurry I can't read my own writing.
I do have a cull, If I cut out a recipe and I can't remember when I found it and I've not tried it, it can't be to important so it goes in the recycling.
I tend to go more for specifics rather than just for the sake of it.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:04 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks for all the ideas everyone. I love the photo album idea, but I like the three ring binder because you can hold more. I have a three ring binder I am going to use and will sort them by category. I LOVE the idea of sliding the recipe you are using into the front clear sleeve so it stays clean. This week I have spilled stuff on two recipes! UGH

I have also decided to buy some cheap star or smiley stickers. Each time I try a recipe and like it I will put a sticker in the upper corner so I know if I've tested it or not. Obviously if we don't like it i will just toss it. But there are so many I haven't tried, it's nice to know which ones I already have.

I have a package of loose leaf paper in the kid's school supplies (I buy extra) so I am going to tape recipes onto looseleaf so that the cut-out recipes fit in as a full page.

Another thing I have learned is to keep one recipe per page. I had all sorts of recipes taped onto sheets for quite a few years and had to pull them all apart just recently so I can sort them.

I need to get busy on this project!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 08-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I like the sticker idea There are always a ton of those around my house--it would be easy enough to stick a sheet of them into my recipe box for tagging recipes.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I really like the sticker idea as well!

Kathy
Old 08-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Another idea...........I have a box with files in it. The files are alphabetized...appetizers to vegetables.
Whenever i clip a recipe out of a magazine or copy one offline I file it in my box! That works pretty well for me!

hugs, train
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I like the rest of you have LOTS of recipes and cook books. When I make something out of either a book or one I have clipped/printed or been given I toss it if the majority of us don't care of it. But if we do I write the date and that we liked it by the recipe BUT I like the sticker idea and will adopt that. I have 3 ring binders that I have put what I have printed in. I also bought recently 2 of those small things with 3 drawers each the ones I bought are approx 15 inches across and like I said 3 drawers deep. One drawer is for Salads, Deserts, Meats, Veggies etc Right now my newest recipes are going in there till I make them. Made one last nite we did not like it so its gone bye bye
Old 08-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I am very strict as 2 who touches my so called recipe books!! Hubby doesn't even bother them. I use the 3 ring binders that are 3 inches and I have 1 recipe per page potector sleeve. That way I can slide a small note down in w the recipe saying that I substituited this or that or that I deleted this ingredient. I also use the smiley stickers and it helps out GREAT!! every recipe is retyped on my computer in my own font and spaced as i want them 2 b and then saved on a disk just in case!!!! I have made about 4 books now and love em all!!!!!!! Never have enough recipes ya know...............
Old 08-29-2008, 08:13 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have a binder that is sorted according to catgeory for recipes I have typed out.

I have receipe boxes that are sorted by catgeory for cut out recipes or those written on file cards.

For cookbooks they are in alphbetical order and bookmarks put in for fav recipes. I also write notes next to a recipe.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Mine are not in alphabetical order but meat ones veggie desert etc ones together for the most part.
And like you I make notes by certain recipes. Some of my books were my beloved Mom's and she too wrote notes