Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Getting Organized > Organizing > Kitchen/Dining Room Organization

Old 01-21-2002, 12:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Question Kitchen

Do you have anything besides kitchen items in your kitchen cupboards? I once knew a woman who kept her medicines on a lazysusan in the kitchen cabinet.

If I came to your home and started snooping around would I find only items related to preparing and serving food in your kitchen?

Kelly H.
Old 01-21-2002, 03:17 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

My kitchen is my hubbys study

My hubby thinks the kitchen is his study. All of his magazines, mail, etc are kept on the kitchen counter. He dearly loves to read in the morning while eating breakfast. Actually, it doesn't bother me that much anymore. If it gets out of control, I just pick up the pile and put it down by his chair in the living room and watch him slowly bring them back 1 or 2 at a time.

If perhaps you did plan on a pop in visit to look for yourself, please give me a months notice to do the fall housecleaning that I never got done.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Guilty

I have the meds on a lazy susan in the cupboard ( well out of dd's reach I need to stand on a chir to reach them)
I also use my kitchen for my crafts so all that has a cupboard. Tools that are used often are on a shelf in the closet so I don't have to run out to the workshop to get any of them. I keep all the stuff for the critters in the kitchen. I do have a large kitchen if that helps any
dh keeps some of his armour tools in the kitchen too....
I don't think you'ld want to snoop around my kitchen, after thinking about this I don't want to either lol
Old 01-22-2002, 05:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

chuckle You guys are too funny!

When we first moved in, it was just the two of us and my kitchen seemed huge - I even had an empty cupboard (we had been living in an apartment with dh's brother and we only bought what we needed each week - no stocking up.) Now there are seven of us, and we've converted a closet into a pantry and added a microwave cart ... yet we still need to store stuff downstairs!

Actually, if you ladies came to my house, you might just find my toddler inside a cupboard! That's where he likes to play so we've emptied it out ... gosh, when he gets a little older I'll have more cupboard space again!

Kelly H.
Old 01-22-2002, 02:03 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

kitchen cupboard

Ah, that is so cute. Your son playing in the cupboard. I remember my kids liking to play in the cupboards but they only wanted to drag the stuff out, not crawl inside. At least, not that I remember anyway. Of course my youngest is 30 so I claim old timers disease. LOL I do remember them loving cardboard boxes tho. I do think kids enjoy having a little cubby hole that they can call their own and that is way cool you allow him to have a place in your kitchen. If'n I had the energy, I'd love to have a child playing in one of my kitchen cabinets everyday.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:15 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

In my kitchen you would find two drawers and the small cabinets above the stove, dedicated to non-kitchen items...

I have medicines (luckily no small children) and such above the stove. I have all kinds of junk in the drawers... Batteries, gum, pencils, bottlecaps, etc... Things moms are forced to collect on behalf of their children....

Jeanne aka AutumnAuburn
Old 02-08-2002, 10:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I have lots of other items in my kitchen!

One cupboard is dedicated to all things related to glue, tape, writing items, etc. I also keep craft paint and other craft related items there.

I have a drawer than is exclusively dedicated to bill paying, calendar, etc. Helps to keep me organized to have everything in one handy place, just a few steps from the kitchen table.

Jenna
Old 02-15-2002, 06:02 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Our kitchen has an entire shelf for OTC meds such as ibuprofen, acetominiphen (sp?) band-aids, cough syrup, hydrogen peroxide, anti itch cream, antacids etc
It seemed a good place to put that stuff since it is centrally located.
We also have a drawer that keeps glue, push pins, thumbtacks, screwdrivers etc.;-)
Old 03-04-2002, 07:58 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Well, seeing as I am more than safe from any visitors to my kitchen, here goes!

Usual food and pantry items, baby bottles, pots and pans, one box of potatoes, a toaster that has seen better days but still battles on regardless. On the benchtops, that is chaos central!

Welcome to Chaos Central, we hope you enjoy your tour. If you look to your left you will see the Hubby's Hovel, with a creative display of a two-way radio charger, mobile phone charger, various magazines and catalogues, bandaids, asprin, some odd keys that do not belong to anything we have owned in the past three years..........

..............moving along, we come to Sink City, with the window ledge above displaying a myriad of fascinating pieces, including Lego blocks that went AWOL, one chipped teacup that holds small flowers picked from the garden, one bottle of washing up liquid, one baby bottle brush, a Thomas the Tank Engine toy train, three biros and a peg that should be in the laundry. Oh, and let us not forget the tastefully displayed chux wipe hanging off the kitchen tap!

.............. Around to your right you will find the tea and coffee making area with a trusty kettle, tea/sugar/coffee canisters, numerous baby bottles, dummies and teats, along with a small cane basket containing such a varied assortment of items with dubious uses, which I would not dare to investigate unless I took a packed lunch and cleared my calendar for the rest of the day.......

As for the fridge - I wont even go there!!

NOW, I bet you wish you hadnt asked!!
Old 03-05-2002, 06:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

chuckle LOL raggedymom

you're too much!!! LOL

You shoud'nt be sad, 'cos mine is, at this precise moment, worse than yours. I was trying to beat it, but I gave in to a little break. I'm getting back to it in a minuteor so...)
Guess you could, as me, use a little flylady's help, huh?
Fatima