Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 07-04-2002, 07:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

What is a natural remendy to help relieve a cold in a two year old toddler ??

What is a natural remendy to help relieve a cold in a two year old toddler ??
My DD who is 2 years old has been suffering from a Cold we first thought it was her allergies but this moring she woke up Coughing and Croupy and Runny Nose that Was Crusted over this morning and then She has been sneezing alot !!
What can I do to relieve the affects of the Cold on her ??
I know that the Cold has to take its affects before it will totally be gone!!
Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated and needed!!
Happy Birthday America!!
Happy 4th of July!!

My FC Member Awards!
<HR width="95%" color=green height="3">

Hey, I won!
Old 07-04-2002, 11:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Beleive it or not my daighter has never had just a cold. When she gets sick it is with 103+ fevers, stuffy noses, sometimes with vomit and very sleepy.

But like with any cold or flu, it has to run it's course.

I can suggest that you give your child lots of fluids ( waterm aplle juice, white grape juice and cranberry juice that has been dilulated and of course flat gingerale.

For stuffy noses and the cough I always use Mentholatum. This is a Vapor cream. I put a little under her nostrils and this really helps. You can also use this on their chest (like Vicks).

Triaminic makes a Cough Patch that also works great. I use this on my daughter at bedtime and it really cuts down on the night coughs.

For a runny nose, there is really nothing to do except keep some cream on it from getting to red and sore and also try to use tissues woth lotion in them.

I hope these helped a little.

Hope the little one feels better soon.

BTW, when my daughter was 2-1/2 years old, we sent fourth of July in the ER -- she had a 104.7 fever.... thankfully it broke.....

Old 07-04-2002, 01:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Sorry to hear that your daughter feels so sick

Like Shawn said, fluids & more fluids. Popsicles are a good treat too. You can also fill the tub with tepid water and add a little Vicks to it or I use the WalMart medicated baby bath in the water for my son. I let him play in there a while and that seems to help. I use Vicks on his chest at night too. I havent tried that patch yet but that would be a little neater on her clothes.

Hope she feels better soon.
Old 07-05-2002, 09:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thank you all so much she was so miserable last night she ended up finally falling...

Thank you all so much she was so miserable last night she ended up finally falling into a deep sleep about Midnight in our bed!!
We then put in her room about 2:00 this morning now DH is getting the same thing DD has!! So Now I have to take care of DD and DH and try to make them as comfortable as I can!!
I am trying to keep DD and DH hydrated as much as I can!! I am praying I don't come down with it !!
They look so miserable!!
I feel so bad for them!!
Thank you all for the tips!!
I think we might give the patches a try we do have the medicated bath and it helps and we have the cream and it helps but we don't have the patches I think it might help even more!!
Thank you all again!!

My FC Member Awards!
<HR width="95%" color=green height="3">

Hey, I won!
Old 07-08-2002, 08:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Im sorry to hear that they are both sick now.

Make sure to take extra special care of yourself during this time so that you dont get it too ! ( yeah, I know, like after all of this you feel like doing anything extra at all )

Hope your whole family gets well soon !!

Tami
Old 07-08-2002, 08:18 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Natural Remendies for colds

My niece was on such heavy medicines that she could not take any over the counter cough medicines. They would make her so dizzy that my sister would have to hold her the whole night. She found that warm lemon and honey helped. One to loosen the phlegm and the other for her cough.
Also, my Doctor has always told me to run a humidifier. Although it is so humid here that I don't know about it in the summer. But it is good to run in the winter time.
This too shall pass.
Sue
Mom of five
Old 07-08-2002, 08:56 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I've found that with my daughter, about 10 drops of tea tree oil in a vaporizer at night does wonders! She has mild asthma as well, so when she has a cold that tends to act up as well, and it helps with both problems.

Good luck! Hope everyone feels better soon!
wah/sah mommy...can't beat that!
Old 07-08-2002, 09:37 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle

I just read this morning about hydrogen peroxide in the ears is a wonderful remedy for colds & flus. Check out http://www.mercola.com/2002/mar/27/h...n_peroxide.htm

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I will be if anyone in my family starts to come down sick. This is cheap & won't cause any harmful side effects, so I think it's worth a try.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 07-08-2002, 10:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Lightbulb cold-sinus remedies

hello to everyone.
my son is 3 1/2 now. he is almost never sick.
i really chalk it up to good nutrition and the fact he was breastfeed for 3 yrs.
he still loves to eat jar baby food -about 3 jars a day.
he loves almost every food he tries.
i also give him a high quality kids multi vitamin-he used to take infant vitamin drops-i think they also helped w/ great immune system.

when he is feeling under the weather- we use saline nose spray.
it is great for helping clean out his nose. those nasal aspirators help wonderful too-use sparingly though-they can irritate nose-so use maybe once first thing in the morning-spray both nostrils with saline spray, then suction out in a couple minutes later.
also use once in afternoon if needed and once again before bedtime.

we also get him to drink lots of ice water-and he loves to eat more jarred food over solid food when he is stuffy.probably easier to swallow than to chew solids.
we also give him chewable vitamin c tablets or orange juice to help get over cold or sinus and warm baths to clear out sinus stuffiness or cool-warm bath to get fever down.
you could also consider echinacea tablets (natural immune booster)-check w/doctor first for dosage and if allergies -(echinacea is purple coneflower)- and another great one to consider is chewable zinc tablets w/ echinacea and vitamin C.
and perhaps royal jelly. we adults also use all these and they work great!!!!!!
good luck and hope everyone gets feeling better soon.

sincerely-sheila ann anderson
Old 07-08-2002, 10:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

more remedies -tea tree oil

hello again.
quick comment.
TEA TREE OIL is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is great for putting in the vaporizer as mentioned in another post and amazing for ear infections and irritation.
just put a very small amount on the end of a q-tip and rub around entrance of ear canal. it burns a little(menthol feel)-but really works quickly. it is also wonderful for healing cuts,most skin irritations,some people with eczema have wonderful results with tea tree oil mixed in with lubriderm fragrance free body lotion.
also gets rid of head lice safely and effectively(add a couple tbsp. to your kids regular shampoo,let sit awhile and rinse) and helps prevent head lice if used regularly in their shampoo!!!!!!!
it is amazing for dandruff problems and scalp irritation-again put into your shampoo (couple tbsp-more if needed)
also this is absolutely AMAZING for anti-fungal problems-
rub directly into fingernails or toenails for killing fungus.
it smells a little strong(like pine) but the smell does subside)
you can also add to your body wash for healthy skin, to your hand lotions and hand soaps for killing germs and keeping skin healthy and soft.
the lists literally goes on and on. this stuff is safe and amazing.
oh-also is wonderful for healthy-gums.
my hubby had bad gums and needed gum surgery-after trying tea tree oil toothpaste a couple months - he went back to dentist and his gums are great-also add a couple 2-3 tbsp. to your mouthwash for more antiseptic protection and great smelling breath.
i truly hope this info helps lots out there.
you can find tea tree oil in the pharmacy section at wal-mart for about $5 a bottle.about half the cost of other stores and same high quality!!!!!
sincerely- sheila ann anderson
p.s. i also have a small fountain in my living room- i run it constantly and add about 3 tbsp of tea tree oil to it once a week.
it is great for sinus and keeps algae from forming in the table top fountain- i also find the added humidity is beneficial for prevention of sinus & colds especially when the heat or air constantly running is drying out the humidity levels in our house.
take care and help your family gets feeling better.