Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 02-04-2002, 04:10 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question rash questions?

Help! Is there anyone that knows about a rash that possibly is viral. (that's what the doc says) that my 4 year old son has practically on his entire body. I have applied cortizone and gold bond powder for the itch but this is drying out his skin. I have also given him Benadryl for allergies. Does anyone know what else to use in order to get rid of this?? Please respond.
Old 02-04-2002, 05:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

An oat bath will be very relieving for your son. Take 2 tlbs oatmeal and place it in the blender to make a fine powder and put this in the tub or place the oatmeal in an old nylon and let the tub water run through it. Hope your son is feeling better soon.
Old 02-05-2002, 05:11 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thank you for the suggestion. I gave him both an oatmeal bath as well as a baking soda bath(separately). They relieved the itch but I want it gone!! Do you know how often is okay for the bathes? Do you think too muany oatmeal bathes could be bad for him?
Old 06-09-2002, 06:28 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Rash on my 2 year old

Hey, My son is 2 years old and has this horrilbe rash on his bottom and genital area. Last week on Monday evening I took him to my mom's house and he was okay, he stayed at her house for two days and when I picked him up on Wednesday he had this really nasty rash all over his bottom area and genital area. Well we figured it was a normal rash just got really bad were my sister or mom did not change him as often as he needed to be, but it has been five days now and is not getting any better.
My husband just mentioned that it could be an allergic reaction-to an antibiotic he is on. To catch up on the antibiotic thing-he had some swollen limp noids come up about a month and a half ago-we took him to doc and doc thought that it was ear infection-so put him on antibiotic as when he checked his hearing it would not register or anything. We took him back in a week and a half ago and the hearing was still horrible and the limp noids were coming back-so he put him back on another antibiotic and told us to bring him back this coming Wednesday. So my husband was wondering if it could be an allergic reaction to the medicine as he got it after taking the medicine four whole days?
Any tips on helping releave some of the pain my son is in???
daughter: Tristan age 4
son: Christian age 2
Old 06-09-2002, 07:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Where your little guy was on antibiotics could it be a type of yeast infection? Try an OTC yeast cream like nilstat or nyaderm ( sp?) to rub over the effected area. The reason I mentioned these 2 types of cream is that are just the same as more popular brands ( canasten or monastat) but are alot cheaper ask the Pharmacy about them.
Also add some yogurt to his diet if he can eat it, the kind with the live bacteria. It will restore the proper balance in his insides to help out.
Antibiotics also kill all the good bacteria in your body along with the bad bacteria, this can lead to a build up of yeast inside your body, intestines, bowel, kidney's, bladder........
If he's still in Diapers it's a good chance it's a yeast infection.
Hope it helps some.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:30 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb

My son is all better. It took about 2 and half weeks for the rash to go away. Reliously, I applied Cortizone Cream for Kids all over his body. I went through 2 tubes of the stuff!!! But it finally went bye-bye!
Old 06-24-2002, 12:40 PM
Jamelle

Post Rash question

I know it's been awhile since you asked your question regarding your rash. My friend and I have discovered a new lotion that has helped her 18 month old with a rash on her legs. She had tried everything and with the lotion it was gone in a few days. It also help another friend with a rash she had on her belly when she was pregnant. E-mail me if you want to know more about it. I would love to chat with you. [email protected]
Old 09-04-2002, 01:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Rashes are so hard to diagnose....it could be so many different things. You may need to get your 2 year old out of the diaper entirely. Keep him out of it and just let him roam. The air will do him some good. My son had a rash when he was just over 1 and was prescribed a cream called Nystaten. It was wonderful!

Also, he may be very sensative to baby wipes. You may want to consider making your own. I did with my infant and she has not had a rash at all so far (she is now 13 months). It is easy to make
Take a roll of BOUNTY paper towles...cut it in half (2 mini rolls) take out the center. In a round tupperware bowl, mix 2 cups warm water with 2 T baby bath and 1 T baby oil. Drop the roll in and turn it upside down. Voila! It is something that your son should be used to. Baby wipes are pretty harsh.

For the other mom with the itching toddler, if your child is in daycare, you may want to take the child to the dr. My sister in law just got over a bout of scabies. They do not affect everyone, just some. It is TERRIBLE!
Old 09-09-2002, 05:59 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My little girl has been through the gammet of rashes!
So maybe some of what she's been through might sound familiar and you could ask your Dr. about it...
It all started at around 4 months old. A little round red spot on her leg. Dr. called it just plain ole "dry skin". nurse called it ring worm, come on she was 4 months old,No she wasn't playing in the back yard in the dirt! Any how he prescribed something for it, couldn't tell you now what, but it worked! Well, then it became the diaper rash from *heck*. It seemed to appear over night with no indication of What caused it. Nystatin was used and cleared it up. Well then we went back to the body rash but the little red spots were getting bigger and she was getting older so she was starting to scratch them. More prescription cream. This had been going on now for about a year and a half off and on from diaper area to body and sometimes both.... Dr. was at wit ends as to what it was so he told me to take her to a pediatric dermatolagist. Their diagnosis was Dermatitis/Excezema! But a REAL severe case. It still seems to develop with no warning. Dr's all swear to me there is no real "reason" for it to start when it does, like a trigger that causes it. Just Very sensative skin! So right now the best treatment has been prevention!
She gets lathered down with lotion at least 2 times a day. We use Cetaphil (Dr's preferred brand) and if she does get rash we use the Cetaphil body wash! As far as the diaper area, Burt's Bee has been a life saver! She has not had a diaper rash in probably 2 months now and I think that is a record for her! She has tried tons of prescription creams and I'm not sure if they worked or not! None worked fast enough for me! For itching she does use Claratin & Zyrtec and they also tell me that those 2 can also help to keep it at bay. BTW.... she is now only 29 months old. Her sensitive skin has been her only health problem so I do thank God that she is otherwise Healthy!

I hope this helps someone!
Old 01-29-2004, 07:06 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My children suffer from a rash, but its called ezcema. We use a hydrocortozone cream (a steroid that is put on the bad areas), and a cream that keeps it moisturized while the skin is healing. Touch wood, I have also tried normal things like special bath soap, E45, and Oilatum oil and bath things.

Does anyone else's child suffer from this? What do you do when it flairs up really bad?

MoT