Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-01-2002, 08:34 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Here is what else I know about the family. They have 4 girls. I will guess thier ages to be 1 yr, 2 yr, 8 yr, and 12 yrs old. I have never seen the smallest one. The other three have been to my home a couple of times. They do not appear to be malnutritioned. The older two always have presentable clothing. The younger one is always dressed but sometimes dirty. Kids that age get dirty though. It doesn't seem to be filth. As far as I can see by driving by the home they live in, it's a junk pile. They live in a trailer next door to thier grandfather. The grandfather makes his living junking old cars and things. So, the property is junked up. There is no Father in the home.

I think that the mother just doesn't have insurance and is poor. I do really think that she loves her kids though. They don't run around all the time. They have only been to my house a few times. I don't think that if I went up and talked to her it would do any good. Her own relatives have spoke to her about the child and it didn't help. I am sure that she would be greatly offended if I approached her about it.

When I see the girl I am going to clean up her sores and apply neosporin to the open ones. I am not the only person going to do this. If she goes home and tells her mother about it and the mother gets angry , then I guess she knows where I live.
She can come herself or send the police. It makes no difference to me because I am not doing anything wrong.

When the neighbor boy wrecked on his bike in front of my house I brought him in my home and cleaned his wounds. I put neosporin on them and a bandage. Then I sent him home. He was wounded and I gave him first aid. This is the same thing that I will do for this little girl if she comes around.

I hope and pray every day for that little girl and would never, ever do anything to harm her. I will call the authorities when it becomes the last option. Only because I believe the mother loves her and I don't want to cause her heartache that authorities can bring.

Old 09-02-2002, 06:57 AM
Nine Year Member

Question Sores?

There is a skin condition called impetigo that goes around in the hot weather. The sores just keep getting bigger and spread. Cannot understand why only the youngest only has them. Make sure you use gloves when apply medication since it is contagious. Hopefully it is just flea bites like you said. Sueanne
Old 09-02-2002, 08:17 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Susanne,
Thanks for the advice. I would not thought of it. I will be sure to wear gloves.

Old 09-04-2002, 11:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

It is quite sad that we live in a society where even a helping hand can be turned into something bad. I wish there were more values like in the "olden days" I grew up in a samll town, eventhough I am only 30, we had small town values. That meant that if a little boy fell on your sidewalk, you could bandage him up and send him on his way. Now not only do you have to worry about the call from his mother, but his lawyer about malpractice, and to make sure your homeowners insurance is up to date for the pending lawsuit!
I miss the days of going to the neighbors for cookies and milk, spending and hour in their house, just talking and playing. Now that would cause an uproar too.
By the way, as a child my best friends were an old married couple down the street.
Old 09-04-2002, 04:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle

Bellasmom--

We see so many attorneys advertising on TV here,and I often wonder if it is contributing to the willingness of people to bring suit against others. They get 40% of the money won in lawsuits from what I have read.--Money, money, money.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you cry alone.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:47 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi All,
I just wanted to let you all know that I have not seen the little one for quite a while. When I see her again I will let you know how she is doing. Thanks again for all the advice!

Old 09-11-2002, 07:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi all,

I found this thread just today. I was a paramedic for many years, and also worked as a camp health director for 5 summers. In that capacity I was what is called a "mandated reporter", which basically means that I didn't have the luxury of "deciding" wether or not to call social services.

If I had the slightest suspicion, not proof, just suspicion, that a child was being harmed or abused, I was mandated to call the authorities. If I did not call, and a report was later filed, I was subject to jail time myself.

So needless to say, I have made that call many times. Let me just reassure you, it is not the evil thing people think it is. The operator who takes your complaint over the phone will respect your annonymity, and will be very sympathetic to you. They understand that this is traumatic for you. They will ask very specific questions about your concerns.

As long as there is no immediate life-threatening situation to a child, the whole thing is handled very matter of factly. A Social Worker will be dispatched. ( If you give your name to the office, you will be contacted and interviewed first. If you don't give your name, you will only be interviewed if you are in the neighborhood as the social worker investigates the case. In either case, you can remain annonymous as far as the child's family is concerned ).

Once the investigation is complete, the social worker contacts the family, and assesses the condition of the child and interviews the family.

Then the case is assigned to a social worker who gets services for the child and family ( hopefully ) like healthcare, or counselling or in the worst case scenareo, safe foster care for the kids.

Then, if you have given your name to the case worker, they will report back to you what action has been taken with the case. If your report is annonymous, you'll never know.

That's my experience with the system. (At least in NYS. I can't imagine it being too different in any other place). If you have doubts, call your dept of social services and ask... They can't MAKE you file a report.

I hope the child and family is well, and that you are feeling OK with what ever decision you have made. We're the only ones looking out for these babies. We can feel proud of that ultimately.