Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 10-24-2007, 11:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Help your kids avoid the "Superbug"

A lot has been in the news lately about MRSA (methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus, also called the "superbug.") And the stories can be scary to parents! Here are some facts to keep in mind:

This is not a "new" disease. Since the 1960s it has been seen in hospitals but now it has become more common outside the hospital community.

It is a type of skin infection that is resistant to SOME but not all antibiotics. It is treatable.

It can cause skin infections resulting in redness, warmth, swelling and tenderness.

To prevent it, practice good hygiene daily:
1.Keep your hands clean by washing thoroughly with soap and water or using an alcohol based hand sanitizer
2.Keep cuts and scrapes clean and covered with a bandage until healed
3.Avoid contact with other people’s wound or bandages
4.Avoid sharing items such as towels, soap or razors

If basic hygiene precautions are followed, MRSA carriers are not a hazard to others including their family and friends.

It is possible to become infected by staph or MRSA at your health club by direct skin-to-skin contact with another person or by contact with surfaces or equipment (less likely). You can protect yourself from infections by practicing good hygiene by:
okeeping your hands clean by washing with soap and water or using an alcohol-based hand rub and showering after working out;
ocovering any open skin area such as abrasions or cuts with a clean dry bandage;
oavoiding sharing personal items such as towels, soaps or razors;
ousing a barrier (e.g., clothing or a towel) between your skin and shared equipment;
owiping surfaces of equipment before and after use.

For more information contact oThe Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website at: http://www.cdc.gov/

Old 10-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Only one suggestion - don't rely on the alcohol-based hand sanitizers to prevent bacterial infections. They work well for virus infections (flu, colds, etc) but not as well for bacteria. Good old soap and water works well for all bacteria - not just MRSA.

For sanitizing surfaces, nearly any commercial products available at the local grocery that call themselves "antibacterial" will work nicely.

For children, a daily bath **with soap** is important. Children, particularly boys, may get to a certain stage in which they don't want to use soap. Usually elementary and lower middle school grades. So moms and dads may need to "encourage" the soap!

Cheerio!
Elizabeth

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*
~*~ Poetry is thoughts that breathe, and words that burn. ~*~
~*~ Thomas Gray ~*~
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*
Old 10-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Although no cases of this has been reported in our county, there are several cases in Charlotte, which is nearby.

I have been preaching to my son to make sure he washes his hands several times a day in school. I am constantly on them to wash up at home. I think about this when I go to Curves, too. I am happy that they are pretty good about wiping all of the machines down with a cleaning several times a day.

I've heard about it spreading more in the south than in the north, is this true or is it spreading like crazy there too?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 10-27-2007, 02:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi. I live near Chicago(about an hour away) & there have been several cases in their schools. It's been in the news. There was even one teenage boy that died(so sad). So I think that it's all over.
I wonder if it's more wide spread with all the antibiotic use in food now??

Gloria

We all need to help save our planet before it's too late

Old 10-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

there have been cases in dd school she is so worried I try to help by telling her to wash wash wash hand and she does its really scary the school has asured us they are keeping things sanitized I hope and pray they are

Old 10-27-2007, 07:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

There was an article in our local newspaper this week. There have been some cases here in Nebraska. The article stated that it is due to the overuse of antibiotics.

Kathy
Old 10-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Nine Year Member

Here in Florida it is wide spread in hospitals & nursing homes. Seen many cases last year while visiting family in the Hospital. When they have signs on the door no admitting and people walking in with covered gowns visiting patients you know there is a problem. They might clean the rooms but they mop from one room to another transfering germs. Some say silver is being used as a treatment.
www.forum.mrsaresources.com/
_______
Sueanne

Old 10-28-2007, 09:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I read in the paper that there are several cases in schools nearby(20+ miles). 20+ in the state(Indiana). They are concentrating on schools, athletics, & jails-all places of close personal contact.

We all need to help save our planet before it's too late

Old 10-29-2007, 05:48 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks for the information.Knowledge is a good thing to have.

Mish
Old 10-29-2007, 08:35 AM
Nine Year Member

There have been three reports in one school in the neighboring town two weeks ago.

Our school system sent home a paper a week ago about Staff infections and how to help prevent them. One of the middle schools was suspected of having a student with Staff but it wasn't confirmed yet.

Roberta