Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Kids & Money

Kids & Money Allowance. Chores. Savings accounts. Piggy banks. How do you teach your kids about money? What has worked for you?

Old 04-29-2009, 07:16 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Summer Jobs

Do you make your teenagers get a summer job? If you teenager has a job is it only in the summer? What kind of jobs do your teenagers have?

I was also wondering what do they do with the money from there job? Do they pay car insurance, gas for the vehicle, put it in the bank, spend it as they wish, etc.

Charlotte
Old 06-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I gave my kids a choice a job, a summer school course to get ahead, or volunteering somewhere. If they worked a % of the money had to be saved for school clothes. If you drive at our house you need money for insurance. If you are not working enough hours for insurance there were ways they could work for me. Our thinking is driving is not a right but a responsibility. We tend to respect what we work for more than what we are given.
One of my dds volunteered at a handicapped summer camp and ended up choosing it as a life's work

Old 06-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I would love for my son to get a summer job but they sure are hard to come by!! If he does get a job then a % of the money will need to be banked towards his future education. The rest of it will be his to spend for entertainment/dates/whatever. School clothes are uniforms and they are "on" us.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Barb I had 3 girls , who went to public HS, they surely loved clothes. That is why they helped to buy them; it used to tee them off when they still had to pass my inspection as appropriate.
I would give them a clothing allowance and they had to pay for all over and above that.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Kids in my town can't even get paper route jobs as adults are doing 4-5 routes a day (2-3 hrs). They would probably do more to make it more of a part time job but for the time limits on getting them passed out.

When the kids start driving they will need jobs to pay for the extra insurance and gas bill. And to pay for clothes over the amount I'm willing to pay.

Roberta
Old 06-26-2009, 09:28 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

DD1 worked for Chic-Fil-A and then with her dad in a machine shop. It was hard, hot, dirty work but she did it two summers in a row. It paid for her car and insurance and gas. When she went away to college she got a job as a bar tender in a juice bar.
DS worked in a Chinese restaurant. In colege he worked there and then did his internship with an accountant, they hired him on after that.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My ds1 works at a deli in a grocery store and makes $9 an hour with time and a half on Sundays and holidays. He doesn't like the job but likes the paycheck. He saves the majority of his earnings to pay for his college books and anything else he needs during the school year while living in the dorms. Last year be bought a laptop and printer to use at college as well. This year he will also help pay for some of his school clothes. He does buy the gas for the car he uses but we still pay his car insurance. Ds2 wants to get a job but is only 14 and jobs are scarce. Maybe next year.

~Mother Theresa

Old 06-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My dd and ds didn't work summers until they graduated high school. They took summer classes (and my ds also had football practice) that kept them busy while they were in high school. However, once they graduated, they worked during their college summer breaks. My ds worked a couple of summers at a local science camp as a counselor (he is now getting his PhD in biology), and my dd has worked as an art instructor at a local kids art program. She has also worked 2 summers at an university alumni family summer camp program (also as an art instructor). My children lucked out in getting these jobs, because I know that it is very difficult for young people (or anyone these days) to find summer employment.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My 20 n 18 yr olds have worked since 8-10 yrs old. It started w/pickin up sticks for older lady n mowing grass to putting up hay bales, working at christmas tree/pumpkin farm to any job available. As long as they want a car they pay for car n insurance. I foot clothing n extras but responsibility has to start young. Both have car loans for 2nd vehicles (1st ones were paid for out right then they upgraded as money allowed). My 20 yr old is n college n working pt-time. My 18 yr old just grad high school n is workin fulltime n just rented his own apt. My 9 yr old is learning n helps out at home w chores but I seem to let her get away with less respoinsibility as it has been easier for us to just do it ourselves attitude. I am working on changing that cause I see the benifits working hard has given the older two. I am so proud of them. They know Im always here as back-up but are proud to do it on their own as much as possible.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:53 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

When my kids were in high school they worked. DD always worked as a waitress, after graduating she went into the Navy. Ds's first job was for a farmer picking stones out of the fields and bailing hay. He wasn't old enough to do anything else. The next job was in a pickle factory which he did a couple of summers and the last was bagging groceries which was year round. Two months after he graduated, he went into the Army.
They bought their own cars, paid their insurance and upkeep like oil changes and they paid for their gas. They put some into savings and the rest they could spend on whatever.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson