Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Kids & Money

Kids & Money Allowance. Chores. Savings accounts. Piggy banks. How do you teach your kids about money? What has worked for you?

Old 04-12-2002, 06:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Tooth Fairy

How much do you give to your child when they lose a tooth?

I read a great idea recently. Not only did the tooth fairy leave money, but also left a forign coin behind. This started a cool collection for the child. Like little treasures, you know how kids love treasures. After alll the took fairy is international. My question is, how much money though???
Old 04-13-2002, 11:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

blushing

My ds got $3 for his first tooth, and will get $1.50 for each of the next he loses.

The foreign coin is a good idea. My ds likes to collect anything... Trix yogurt tops are the thing this week!

Remember:
Wherever you go, there you are!
Old 04-13-2002, 10:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

When the tooth fairy visits our house she leaves $1.00.

The first tooth also made more money but this was given to my son from his grandmother and aunt as they incouraged (bribed) him to pull a very loose tooth that he did not want to lose.
Old 04-14-2002, 04:10 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

how much?

When the tooth fairy visits our home, she leaves $1 under the pillow. I also like the idea of foreign coins. Or what about a new, cool toothbrush? I don't think that you have to put a lot of money because kids are going to be so excited that the tooth-fairy visited, they won't care!
Old 04-14-2002, 06:10 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

tooth fairy

the tooth fairy wrote a note incourging my daughter in opening a savings account. and to start a jr.savings accout. so the tooth fairy left $25 and her favorite video she had been wanting.
tab
Old 04-14-2002, 07:10 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

fairy dust

Hi, My daughters each get $2.00. One of which they can spend and the other $1.00 they put in their savings account. Also the girls leave out a glass of water with their tooth in it and in the morning the fairy has taken the tooth and left a little fairy dust behind. (glitter). I was tired of trying to find their tooth that they had buried under their pillow.
Old 04-14-2002, 07:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hey angelhairbeauty, great idea--I'm always afraid I'm going to get "caught" in the act. I like the spend and safe idea too. My only question on the foreign coin thing is where would you get them if you don't travel?
Old 04-15-2002, 09:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Another idea to find a tooth easily...my sister in law gave my kids a "tooth teddy" for Christmas. They're so cute and the kids love them!
She made them herself and it seems relatively easy. Take two pieces of felt (about 6x3 inches) which are placed one on top of the other. Draw the outline of a small teddy bear on the top piece. Cut out. Stitch both pieces together leaving a hole for stuffing. Stuff the bear shape. Add a felt pocket on the bear's tummy for the tooth. Stitch details on for the face and your child's name on the pocket.
When the tooth fairy comes she can easily find the bear and replace the tooth with money!
Old 04-15-2002, 10:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I know I am about to freak people out now that I have read what the average seems to be .........I give my son 5 bucks a tooth...........LOLOL It doesn't bother me though because he enjoys putting his money in the bank.

If a man says something and no woman hears it....is he still wrong?

Well, nobody's perfect - Osgood E. Fielding III
SOME LIKE IT HOT (1959)

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 04-15-2002, 12:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks bbkimberly! I felt funny about saying that I give my son
5$ per tooth. I've noticed that there's alot of interest in frugality on this website and I think that's great - however I make a salary that permits me to be a little less frugal so I enjoy sharing it with my kids. I don't think the amount matters though - the decision was mine as to the amount - I'm quite sure my son would have been just as happy with a dollar or a small gift. Families spend what they can and no one should feel guilty about the amount they choose to give.