Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Kids & Money

Kids & Money Allowance. Chores. Savings accounts. Piggy banks. How do you teach your kids about money? What has worked for you?

Old 04-21-2002, 08:18 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Oh, and btw.....I give $1.00 for a lost tooth. I think I used to get a quarter or .50 cents. DS2 lost a tooth about a month ago. He totally forgot to put it under his pillow. It was on the table in a plastic baggie. So, I just laid the dollar on top of the bag. The tooth fairy can find your tooth wherever it is. I had to remind him to go look. He knows there's no tooth fairy..I mean, he's 9 years old!!!! But, he likes the familiar ritual and, of course, the $$$.

May you have warm words on a cold evening ~ A full moon on a dark night ~ and the road downhill all the way to your door. Lisa~
Old 04-21-2002, 11:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

The only one that I myself haven't pushed with my kids is the Easter Bunny. I make eggs with them, give them a bit of candy and that's it. It's not that I decided to NOT do it , it's just that I never thought TO do it......lolol To those that choose not to give life to the notions of the Tooth Fairy and the like .......please know that I respect your choice to raise your child as you want to, but please keep this in mind - it can sometimes be upsetting for a child to hear from kids at school " (insert name here) isn't real". My young cousin (that is the same age as my son) was told in a mean way by his teenage sister that Santa wasn't real and he was devastated. He wanted to tell my boy and my Grandmother stopped him. This past year my son was hearing at school that Santa wasn't real. I could see he was a bit bothered by it and just gave him a pep talk. This year I will sit him down and tell him (since he will be at that age to know) the truth. He turns 9 at the end of the year. At that time I will tell him not to to say anything to his younger brother and sister and especially to kids at school. To make it even easier I will enlist his "help" to keep the dream alive for his brother and sister!

If a man says something and no woman hears it....is he still wrong?

Well, nobody's perfect - Osgood E. Fielding III
SOME LIKE IT HOT (1959)

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 04-21-2002, 02:43 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

We give our son .25 and a book. He likes that .25 because he knows he can use it in the gumball machine! He enjoys the books for our bedtime reading and him having a chance to read too.
Old 04-21-2002, 04:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

michris64.....that's a good one! Learning the value of a quarter and getting a bedtime story!

If a man says something and no woman hears it....is he still wrong?

Well, nobody's perfect - Osgood E. Fielding III
SOME LIKE IT HOT (1959)

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 04-21-2002, 06:14 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Well, my son just lost his first tooth today so this topic was perfect for me! He will get $1. By the way, I just put his tooth in a plastic bag labeled with the date, his name, first tooth, and where it was located. When he got ready to take it out of the bag tonight I just told him to leave it in so the tooth fairy could find it easier. My hubby already told him that the tooth fairy looks like mom or dad so he shouldn't be surprised if he finds one of us under his pillow!;-)
Old 04-21-2002, 09:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

A Christmas Story

Santa Claus....The True Story

I remember my first Christmas party with Grandma. I was just a kid. I remember tearing across town on my bike to visit her on the day my big sister dropped the bomb: "There is no Santa Claus," she jeered. "Even dummies know that!"
My grandma was not the gushy kind, never had been. I fled to her that day because I knew she would be straight with me. I knew Grandma always told the truth, and I knew that the truth always went down a whole lot easier when swallowed with one of her world-famous cinnamon buns. Grandma was home, and the buns were still warm. Between bites, I told her everything. She was ready for me. "No, Santa Claus!" she snorted, "Ridiculous! Don't believe it. That rumor has been going around for years, and it makes me mad, plain mad. Now, put on your coat, and let's go." "Go? Go where, Grandma?" I asked. I hadn't even finished my second cinnamon bun. "Where" turned out to be Kirby's General Store, the one store in town that had a little bit of just about everything. As we walked through its doors, Grandma handed me ten dollars. That was a bundle in those days. ĒTake this money and buy something for someone who needs it. I'll wait for you in the car." Then she turned and walked out of Kirby's. I was only eight years old. I'd often gone shopping with my mother, but never had I shopped for anything all by myself. The store seemed big and crowded, full of people scrambling to finish their Christmas shopping. For a few moments I just stood there, confused, clutching that ten-dollar bill, wondering what to buy, and who on earth to buy it for. I thought of everybody I knew: my family, my friends, my neighbors, the kids at school, the people who went to my church. I was just about thought out, when I suddenly thought of Bobbie Decker. He was a kid with bad breath and messy hair, and he sat right behind me in Mrs. Pollock's grade-two class. Bobbie Decker didn't have a coat. I knew that because he never went out for recess during the winter. His mother always wrote a note, telling the teacher that he had a cough, but all we kids knew that Bobbie Decker didn't have a cough, and he didn't have a coat. I fingered the ten-dollar bill with growing excitement. I would buy Bobbie Decker a coat. I settled on a red corduroy one that had a hood to it. It looked real warm, and he would like that.
"Is this a Christmas present for someone?" the lady behind the counter asked kindly, as I laid my ten dollars down.
"Yes," I replied shyly. "It's ... for Bobbie."
The nice lady smiled at me. I didn't get any change, but she put the coat in a bag and wished me a Merry Christmas.
That evening, Grandma helped me wrap the coat in Christmas paper and ribbons, and write, "To Bobbie, From Santa Claus" on it -- Grandma said that Santa always insisted on secrecy. Then she drove me over to Bobbie Decker's house, explaining as we went that I was now and forever officially one of Santa's helpers.
Grandma parked down the street from Bobbie's house, and she and I crept noiselessly and hid in the bushes by his front walk. Then Grandma gave me a nudge. "All right, Santa Claus," she whispered, "get going."
I took a deep breath, dashed for his front door, threw the present down on his step, pounded his doorbell and flew back to the safety of the bushes and Grandma. Together we waited breathlessly in the darkness for the front door to open. Finally it did, and there stood Bobbie.
Forty years haven't dimmed the thrill of those moments spent shivering, beside my grandma, in Bobbie Decker's bushes. That night, I realized that those awful rumors about Santa Claus were just what Grandma said they were ridiculous. Santa was alive and well, and we were on his team.

Good story isn't it? Around Christmas, Santa is a good person to pin good deeds on when you want your hand to be unknown...

Last edited by BLTN_Mom; 04-21-2002 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-22-2002, 05:07 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky Love the Christmas story

Awww what a touching story. I really liked it. Thanks for sharing!!
Old 04-22-2002, 07:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Could someone please pass me a tissue

WOW, that is incrediable
I am touched. Thanks
Old 04-22-2002, 08:14 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Trying not to cry coz dh is watching

Beautiful story.

May you have warm words on a cold evening ~ A full moon on a dark night ~ and the road downhill all the way to your door. Lisa~
Old 04-23-2002, 08:35 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

shocking Double whammy tonight!! :(

Hello. How funny I should just post on this topic on Saturday and tonight (Tuesday) I sit in disbelief as to what unfolded tonight ....

DS was in living room this afternoon and DH and I hear a "BOOM" DH said oh that didn't sound good. DS then screams thru tears ... "MY TOOF MY TOOF"

He knocked out his front tooth. (which btw was loose anyway) He is crying ... DH is lecturing about the repeated times we have said .. "Do not spin in livingroom" (ds likes to spin in sock feet on hardwood floor) and trying to stop bleed at same time.

Well, DS comes in to me and there is still blood seep around the other front tooth. (which btw was loose as well) I felt it and suggested it come out .. "NO!!!!" So he goes back to living room .. After a stern statement from daddy "Stay seated and watch TV"

So daddy and I discuss what rate the tooth fairy has been paying and what to do tonight ... and daddy leaves (bowling night)

About 45 minutes of fussing from living room about pain, DS comes back in to see me ... he said it hurts so bad .. I look the other front tooth is hanging and bleeding again .. so mommy against daddy's beliefs of pulling ... PULLED THE DANG THING.

Now, my baby has a Cindy Brady lisp. I had to try and get a hold of daddy .. because guess what???? The tooth (or as DS is saying Toof) fairy is paying $$$ big bucks, because we started single ones way to high .. rofl. I hope I can get a hold of him before he gets home. UGGGGHHHHH ...

DS was still fussing but out of pain .. I wonder why???? LOL

But the kicker .. he told me "Mommy I wasn't spinning ... don't tell daddy ... I jumped off the back of the couch onto the floor"

ACK!!!!!! I have a high back couch. I can not believe he did that!!

UGH ... this night could have turned out much worse ... (ie.. broken bones)

So Daddy is now home, tooth been exchanged, and I sit trying to believe all that went down in the last 5 hours.