Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Kids & Money

Kids & Money Allowance. Chores. Savings accounts. Piggy banks. How do you teach your kids about money? What has worked for you?

Old 04-15-2002, 06:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My children get a dollar from the tooth fairy. I like the glass of water idea. One night my oldest dd was not sound asleep and woke up while I was trying to find the tooth under her pillow, well after hitting the floor for a while, I decided to leave it and she would be so excited that the tooth fairy had been there that she would not even check to see if the tooth was gone and I could get it when she left for school. Well to my suprise she came done with the dollar and the tooth . After some explaining she was ok, then she decided she would trick the tooth fairy and put it back again and get more $. Well the tooth fairy did not take to kindly to this and left her a note and no $. It said something like, I don't like to be tricked and please do not do this again...she bought the whole thing.
Old 04-16-2002, 09:45 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

The tooth fairy made her first visit to our home in January when our son lost his first tooth.

My husband and I decided on $1.00 per tooth and a foreign coin. The coin was from Uraguay. Our son loved the coin and it became a great treasure. We also got a map and showed him were that country was. As he gets older, the coins will make great teaching moments about culture, languages and diversity. Our son is so !!! about the coins he can't wait for another loose tooth. I like the teaching he gets while he is so excited.

As far as finding the coins, coin shops, flea markets and those kind of places can be a source for them. We don't travel but I have found enough coins for our son's 19 more teeth and our daughters twenty. The best part, our son was more interested in the forgein coin then the money!!!
Old 04-17-2002, 03:19 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb TOOTH FAIRY

My 5 year old just lost her first tooth. I was so proud of her, she was too... I was thinking about the situation of losing the tooth under the pillow and I came up with a great Idea that worked like a charm!!!!!!!!! I figured I would share it with you all.....

I bought 2 pieces of white felt (27 cents @ Wal-Mart)
and 1 piece of a different color, ( I let her chose, she picked light blue)

I cut the two pieces of white felt in the shape of a tooth, ( 1 I cut slightly larger so i could stuff it)
then I cut out a pocket and sewed it onto the "Tooth Pillow"
I sewed it all together and stuffed it....

I put her tooth in the pocket and that way it doesn't get lost, AND the "Tooth Fairy" can put the money in the pocket so the child can find it.....

Oh, by the way, the tooth fairy left 1 dollar for my daughters tooth, then me & her father each gave her a dollar too.... It was a great experiance for her too I hope...... Kim J. [email protected]
Old 04-19-2002, 11:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hey ndruwe!
Thanks to you too! Now I don't feel like the odd one out!
Along the idea of having something to put the tooth in - if anyone out there does "plastic canvas" I have 2 tooth fairy patterns. One is a simple white tooth with a happy face and the other is a fancy fairy with a pouch she carries to put the tooth in. The latter would be great for a girl. If anyone wants a copy of them email me - [email protected]

If a man says something and no woman hears it....is he still wrong?

Well, nobody's perfect - Osgood E. Fielding III
SOME LIKE IT HOT (1959)

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 04-20-2002, 12:51 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My son has only lost two teeth. His first one he lost, he got $5.00 and a new battery car tooth brush. The second he got paid twice for and ended up with way more than he should have. Our plans are $2.00 a tooth from here on out.

After reading here I am going to see about getting soemthing to make to put tooth in. To end the searching in the night. I think that is a geat idea. ;-)
Old 04-20-2002, 01:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

A friend of mine gave me a tooth-shaped pillow to put DS's teeth in when he starts to lose his ( which won't be for a while ) and I am going to attach it to the pillowcase.
You can look up a coin shop ( numismatics (sp) - coin collectors ) and you can get old, new, and foreign coins and bills. Also check to see if there is a currency exchange in town and get euro and other foreign currencies at the current exchange rate.
Also here is an idea for the unthinkable - when I lost my first tooth, I had been eating pizza in front of the TV when I noticed a gap between teeth. The tooth was not anywhere around, I had swallowed it! Mom wrote a note to the tooth fairy and I got paid anyway!

Old 04-20-2002, 09:47 PM
Friend of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have a question. I am not teaching my son about Santa Claus, Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy. Personally, I think that is lying to the kid. When he looses a tooth, should I give him money for loosing it or what should I give him.

I just thought of something. It's kinda funny. You pay a kid for loosing something(teeth). If they lost your car keys you wouldn't pay them for that.
Old 04-20-2002, 10:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Santa Claus - A symbol to kids of someone giving of themselves, asking nothing in return, and as my Mom later told me, " it is easier to write from Santa than Mom and Dad..." when I did figure out it was them...
Easter Bunny - just another sign of spring - the true meaning of Easter to me is our Lord's Resurrection
Tooth Fairy - A made-up being you realize your Mother is
Paying for the teeth is to show them that that it isn't so bad to lose them and that new ones come to replace them...

Old 04-21-2002, 07:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

BLTN Mom, Thanks

First I must say I have no problem with how anyone raises there children, except when it is done with abuse or neglect. Actually quite the other side, I applaude anyone who puts concious effort into raising their children. Yet, I have to say, I hear quite often people are choosing to do away with (as I see it) harmless traditions. The Easter Bunny, Santa and the tooth fairy are all that BLTN mom mentioned, and much more. These are the things that make childhood magical, and develop the very important imagination. I really wouldn't be aurprised if the next thing I heard was parents not playing house or dress up with their kids, because playing pretend is lying!
Thanks for letting me vent..
Old 04-21-2002, 08:13 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I got caught!!! A couple of years ago, I got caught a couple of days after Easter with the candy left over from what I put in their baskets. Ds2 LOVED letting me know that he realized I was the Easter bunny. I didn't truly confirm it at first, so it was still a little magical for him because he just wasn't absolutely sure. Today, he is sure, but he doesn't mind. He often asks me to remind the Easter bunny how much he loves certain candy. lol I also wrestled a little bit with whether this was a lie.....and what if they think God is imaginary, but I think it's all in how you handle it. Kids are smart. Let's face it.....if we had been devastated when we figured it out as kids, we wouldn't think of doing it with our own, right? Part of the fun of the whole thing is "wondering" and I think it makes them feel very smart and grown-up when they figure it out.

May you have warm words on a cold evening ~ A full moon on a dark night ~ and the road downhill all the way to your door. Lisa~