Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 04-24-2003, 08:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Sinus Surgery in Children

We just found out today that our 11 yr old son needs to have what the doctor termed "semi-major" sinus surgery.

DS has suffered with allergy & sinus problems most of his young life. But, they have been especially worse in the last 6 mos to a year. (he also suffers from asthma)

In November 2000, he had his adenoids and tonsils removed.

This past Monday, we took him in for a CAT Scan of his sinuses as ordered by his ENT. DS was on double strength antibiotics for 10 days and on a 7 day round of steroids prior to the CAT Scan to try to get his sinuses as clear as possible for it .

We went for the results today. The doctor started out by showing us a normal scan and explaining everything in it. Then, he put up DS's scan next to it. I just gasped! It was horrible! It looked like a train wreck!

There are some structural abnormalities that appear to have been that way since birth. Those will be corrected. Other abnormalities are attributed to chronic sinus problems. Those will be addressed and hopefully will not return after the surgery when his sinuses can drain properly.

DS will be having the following three procedures :

Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery
Septoplasty
Turbinate Surgery

Since he would have to miss three weeks of school after the surgery, we have chosen to wait until the first week of June to have the procedures done.

We signed all of our pre-op paperwork today. So, I know what to expect.....at least according to the doctor.

Does anyone out there have any experience with any of these procedures that can give me some insight on what to expect after the surgery??
Old 04-25-2003, 01:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I wish your ds and your family luck (ds with the surgery and the family with waiting and caring for him).

I as an adult had septoplasty. They placed tubes in my nose and that was not too bad except for sleeping. I do not sleep with my mouth open and I had to with the tubes. So I got a hard plastic tube and carefully slept with that. I do get paniked if I can breath through my nose so that is an aniexty issue for me.

I do know that the nose did drain so I had gauze under the nostrils.

Just a note, if they do use tubes in your ds nose, don't look when they remove them. my dh was with me and could not beive how long they were and got very grossed out when being removed.

As for the others, I never went through them so I can not be of help, sorry.
Old 04-25-2003, 06:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawn
Just a note, if they do use tubes in your ds nose, don't look when they remove them. my dh was with me and could not beive how long they were and got very grossed out when being removed.
According to the doctor, he will have dissolvable stents up in his nose, sinuses instead of the tubes. He said it was much better.

Thanks for your kind thoughts & input!
Old 04-30-2003, 12:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hello Abear93,I just found this.Sorry it took so long.My husband has had two surguries on his nose and sinus's and will be having his third this fall.He had the surgury and was home the same day and back to work in a week.His nose was broken when he was 4 and it was never taken care of.And then broken 3 more time since.This time they will be working mostly on his sinus cavities.And except for finding out that he is allergic to the cat it has been well worth it.I wish you and yours the best of luck and will keep you all in my prayers.
Emmalee