Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 05-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ear Wax

Does your child suffer/has suffered from excessive ear wax?

My middle child did and at 10 she had one syringed but the nurse really didn't want to syringe it.

Now my little one (4) is suffering the same, ear wax leaks from his ears (espec at night)

We know that the dr/nurse won't syringe at thi young age (and we wouldn't really want it), we have used olive oil and sodium bicarbonate but it doesn't seem to be helping

Has anyone used anything else that has please that we could try

Thank you

Take time to recharge your batteries. It's hard to see where you're going when your lights are dim.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have both sides of it. My middle son has always got yellow discharge inside his ear and looks nasty. I could clean it every day and it wouldn't get any less. However, the doctor said as nasty as it looks his ears are healthier than that of his siblings. He said that his ear canal is pitched to run out which is better than pitching in which the others have.
My other 3 kids all have to have their ears flushed routinely like every 3 months or so. They have small canals and usually get a hard pea sized ball of wax out. It takes about a half hour of flushing and it's uncomfortable for them.
Thank goodness none of them get ear infections though.
Once my son is old enough to start doing the showering daily thing I think it will take care of itself. Until then I try to remember to clean them every other day.

Good luck! and be thankful his ears are healthy I guess (atleast that's what I keep telling myself everytime we are at an event and I notice I should have cleaned his ears!).
Old 11-27-2010, 07:45 AM
Assistant Moderator

Both of my dss have had problems with ear wax at different times. I use the ear wax cleaning kits you can get at drug stores and for the most part they work well.

[CENTER]~Mother Theresa
Old 11-27-2010, 11:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Location: I live in the foothills of Maine and near a major river. The area is quiet but we can be in a large city that has everything that you would want to visit. WE're two hours from Old Orchard Beach and it is so beautiful
Have you ever tried candling your ears? It's special tunnel like ear candles and you would not believe all the gunk that comes out from the suction of the heat. It does not hurt and its a warm relaxing feeling . but it sure does work. the candles cost about 1.00 each. Depending on how bad you ears are it might take two of them to clean. I have used them on dh because he has such bad wax build up that he had to go to a special dr.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
My dh has to flush out his ears, too. So far we haven't had any problems with our kids.

I've never heard of candling for ears. I will have to look into it.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

What about sweet oil i have warmed it in and put it in our kids ears
Old 08-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I snip a garlic capsule and drip the oil in my ear. I use Q-tips to clean out the ear wax, have not had a problem doing that. I also snip the garlic capsule and drip the oil in my ear for an earache. One time the relief was instantaneous. Another, the pain went away overnight. They are available in the vitamin section of your pharmacy/discount pharmacy, about $4 a bottle.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:03 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Olive Oil, is, according to medical findings, the closest and most natural equal to naturally produced earwax.

With olive oil, at least in my experience, you have to use it repeatedly and consistently before you see results, but it does work.

Here is what I use to dispense olive oil into ears in my home.

Attachment 31009

Once filled with olive oil, I run the bottle under hot water for a few seconds to warm, making for a more comfortable experience for whoever is receiving the drops.

Last edited by Miss Money Penny; 11-25-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Location: I live in the foothills of Maine and near a major river. The area is quiet but we can be in a large city that has everything that you would want to visit. WE're two hours from Old Orchard Beach and it is so beautiful
My mothers nurse told us to use Colace in her ears. You snip the end of and squeeze the oil into the ear. This is what they do in ER when kids have major wax in their ears
Old 11-17-2013, 12:47 PM

Thank you for the good info. I think I should try that in my ears.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson