Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 03-21-2005, 03:08 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Tonsils

Have any of your children had to get their tonsils out? Heather tends to have frequent throat infections and swollan glands and her tonsils swell very badly. The doctor said she may have to eventually get her tonsils out. Just wondering if anyone here has been through that.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Cheryl !

My middle child, DS # 1, had his tonsils removed in November 2000.

Luckily, he never really had any problems with his tonsils such as infections. He just had abnormally large tonsils that would, at times, swell up without any actual infection but make it difficult to swallow. (but never affected his breating)

He had to have his adenoids out as they were extremely infected - almost to the point of being septic, but we did not know how extreme they were until they were out.

Anyway, we opted to have his tonsils removed at the same time instead of it becoming non-optional down the road...possibly in an emergency situation if the swelling did start to affect his breathing.

My son, 8 1/2 at the time, did very well following the surgery. He loved being able to eat popsicles, ice cream and jell-o for a few days.

Before the surgery, we did get a second opinion on both the adenoids & tonsils. Both doctors agreed.

You know, sometimes I think the surgery was more difficult on me than it was DS ! LOL
Old 03-24-2005, 02:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

We have been there, done that with youngest daughter. She had constant ear/throat infections. Since surgery she has had almost nil. That was 5 years ago.
As far as surgery went - she got along well - felt terrible afterwards and of course threw up several times...it is a nasty procedure and I am glad we got it done when we did. It was beneficial for us!
Old 03-24-2005, 03:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Goria
felt terrible afterwards and of course threw up several times...

My DS did not throw up at all.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Wow that is great that your ds didn't get sick afterwards....I don't think our family reacts well to anesthetic....I have had surgery a couple of times and it was yucky yuck after....
Old 03-24-2005, 05:04 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

tonsils

My dd & ds had their tonsil & adenoids out when they were 4 & 6 years old. Ds had frequent ear & thoat infections; dd had tonsils that stayed swollen all the time, snored like a chain saw & had problems with sleep walking & night terrors.
They had them out @ the same time. We had to stay overnight because ds was sick (probably from anesthesia), but had a hard time getting them to eat or drink - the nurse finally got a syringe and force fed them to get them started. The pain is less if they would drink more, but we couldn't reason with them. I had to watch my dd closely at home, because she would get a glass water / coke & carry it around sipping it then when no one was watching pouring it out & getting a new one. Here I was thinking she was drinking & she really wasn't. Once we got them drinking everything went better (after a couple days) and they have done well since.
I had mine out in my 20's and had no problems.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:10 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences and letting me know what to watch out for. I feel certain that Heather will refuse to eat or drink afterwards. She doesn't eat or drink much to begin with.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:54 PM
Nine Year Member

My girls never had to have the surgery, but my sister and I did - I was 6 and she was 4. We had constant strep throat and tonsilitis and laryngitis so the surgery was recommended. We had fun in the hospital room waiting for the surgery-afterward when I woke up I cried but the nurse quieted me and I was fine, got to eat all the ice cream, ice chips, pudding and jello I wanted-even after going home. My sister on the other hand didn't handle it well, she couldn't keep much down for a day or two then she was fine also.

My understanding is the doctors don't really like to take the tonsils out anymore because they're supposed to stop infections mostly-but if there are chronic problems they sometimes opt for the surgery. I've also always heard that to have your tonsils out as an adult is much more painful and can be dangerous for some people.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

All 3 of my kids have had their tonsils taken out. They have been so much better and their bouts of ear infections went down afterwards.
Yes they need lots and lots of fluids. My son Mike had the hardest time with his surgery. He wouldn't drink much either. I think we finally bought popsicles for him. They told me to force the liquids any way that we could get them down. Then he developed an allergy to penicillian. The doctor put him on penicillian just to prevent an infection, but he started showing a reaction on his chin.
Hopefully she won't have to get her tonsils out. They don't seem to do that as much as they used to. I actually didn't get mine out until I was about 23 and married. The best part of that? Dh pampered me. He let me sleep in, fixed his own breakfasts and lunches for quite a while.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Tonsils removed

I have had my tonsils removed. I had a great experience, very little pain afterwards and did not have strep throat for 12 years afterwards, since I was having it 3 to 4 times everwinter this was a relief. It is also much easier to have this done when you are young, and does no damage to you whatever.