Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-01-2004, 08:31 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ear infections

I had a ton of ear troubles as a baby/child, and so did dh, does anyone know if this runs in the family, or not?

~*It's okay to fall down...it's just not okay to lie there!*~

Old 09-09-2004, 09:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sad to say, this does tend to run in families! So, anticipate chronic ear infections and getting tubes in the ears for your kids!

There is nothing you can do to totally prevent ear infections in your children, but here are a few things that sometimes reduces the number of infections they get:
  • have your babies in late winter or early spring, if possible, so their immune systems are better equipped when the next cold season rolls around.
  • breastfeed exclusively for the first 4-6 months
  • at the first sign of a cold or runny nose, call the pediatrician and get decongestants for the baby
  • be on the lookout for early signs of ear infection: runny nose, crying inconsolably - especially at feedings, pulling or rubbing at ears, just not acting "right"
  • at the first sign of possible ear infection, take the baby to the pediatrician - and don't feel bad or sheepish if you were wrong! After all, you are the mom, not the Dr!
If you have a baby who ends up needing tubes in his ears, just be sure not to let water get in his ears.

Ear tubes are survivable! I had 3 kids with them, and they are fine, now - but each of their children has had chronic ear infections and most of them ended up with tubes. It's really no big deal anymore, but back when I was a kid before antibiotics were used much, many kids ended up with mastoiditis and became deaf! So just stay on top of things and they'll be fine!

Cheerio!
Elizabeth
Old 09-09-2004, 01:55 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Ear Infections

I had many ear infections as a child. Both of my little ones have had tubes in their ears at 1 yr. old. The Dr. said that yes it is hereditary. The best thing that we ever did was to have their tonsils taken out. Since then........not one single ear infection. Also, when dd was 3 yrs. old, she had to have an appendectomy. When they showed me her appendix, it looked like a baby cucumber with little knots all over it. The Dr. said that it was from all of the ear infections and tonsilitis she had from birth on. aaaaccccccccckkkkkkkkkk!! Tubes are very easy to deal with and usually fall out on their own when the ear is ready for them to be out!! Now here we are 4 yrs. later and their hearing is fine and the tubes have been out for a couple years!!
Old 09-09-2004, 02:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

momto4, I think that doctor was pulling your leg! Chronic ear infections have nothing to do with appendicitis - and certainly have nothing to do with the shape of the appendix! :-)

But, ear infections can lead to chronic sinus problems and to deafness if not treated. My younger son had "silent" ear infections. When he finally had tube inserted, they found a "cholesteotoma" - a type of tumor caused by chronic infection - on his left eardrum. He ended up having to have speech therapy because he had not learned to "hear" certain sounds. He still has minor problems with ending consonants.

But you are totally right, about tubes. Nowadays, they are inserted on an outpatient surgery basis. And, instead of having to be removed, they usually are designed to fall out. They are pretty easy to deal with - just be careful about putting in ear plugs for baths and swimming.

Cheerio!
Elizabeth
Old 09-09-2004, 03:29 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I really have a hard time hearing lately, and so I think I need to go in and have this checked, just don't have the money..
Dd has been SOOOO lucky! Not a single infection yet, and at 3 I think she is mostly out of the woods for ear infections, I can't believe it either because dh and I both had a really hard time.

~*It's okay to fall down...it's just not okay to lie there!*~

Old 09-10-2004, 02:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

tashablueyes, you can often get free hearing tests from hearing aid companies. Watch for their ads on TV and in the newspaper. You may, also, be able to get a free or nearly free hearing test at your local health department. These are very brief screening tests, but will leg you know if you have any major problem.

I have found that with my chronic sinus problems my ears will get "stopped up" without my noticing it and it will impair my hearing some. Just "popping" my ears with a large yawn many times will clear them up.

Glad your DD is getting past the ear infection point! With a "clean" history, I would not anticipate she would develop her first one at this point.

Cheerio!
Elizabeth