Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 03-13-2003, 08:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Oh something else I wanted to tell you. My doc. puts me on iron pills off and on and did you know that caffeine blocks the consumption of iron? Tea, coke anything like that (coffee in my case). Anyway I started drinking water with most of my meals and haven't had to use the iron pills in a number of months now.

mouse
Old 03-13-2003, 10:25 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Yes, I did know that caffeine affects iron absorption, so does calcium. And that vitamin C helps to absord iron. There are very few foods that have iron in them that she will eat, I think I will buy spinach this week and sneak it into her ever loved salads, I think she is a vegatarian, and meat has the most iron in it.

Karen
Old 03-13-2003, 10:27 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

That is so cute about the gumball, wouldn't of you been surprised if they would have said to you look what we found, and showed you a big ball of gum!!!!

People told me that it takes seven years to digest gum, but, I have found, pieces of chewed gum in all of my kids diapers, all my kids were potty trained wwwwwaaaaaaayyyyyyy before 7 years old.

I don't think there are really any ill effects from gum, it has to be better than glue, and pebbles, now that I believe would form a stone ball in her belly!!!!

Karen
Old 03-13-2003, 02:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Wow I didn't know calcium affected iron also. See I still learn something new everyday. Let me know what the doctor tells you when you take her in for her check-up. I really though they were going to find a BIG ball of gum, I had already told Jerry that the doctor better NOT fuss at me. So I was the one surprised when he didn't find anything. Then I just couldn't believe that my mom had lied to me like that, guess she didn't think I was nuts enough to believe her when she told me that. Of course I told Jerry that we would never tell our kids crazy stuff like that and of course we do, just different crazy stuff.

mouse
Old 03-13-2003, 03:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

This is from [url]www.webmd.com with a Search on Pica

What Causes Pica?

The exact cause of pica in children is not known, but it may be related to certain nutritional deficiencies or parental neglect. Some experts believe it may be a learned habit. Stress is thought to be a factor leading to pica in some children.

How Common Is Pica?

It is not known exactly how many children in the U.S. have pica, because many cases are never brought to the attention of healthcare providers. In addition, many older children are too embarrassed of their behavior to let anyone know about it.

Pica occurs equally in boys and girls. It may occur in teens and adults, especially those who are developmentally disabled, and in pregnant women. It is more common in children living in poverty.

How Is Pica Diagnosed?

Often, a child with pica is brought to a doctor's attention only when the child's eating habits have resulted in a physical problem, such as poisoning or a blockage within the digestive system.

If symptoms are present, the doctor will begin an evaluation by performing a complete medical history and physical examination. The doctor may use certain tests -- such as X-rays and blood tests -- to look for poisons and other substances in the blood, and to check for blockages in the intestinal tract. The doctor also may test for possible infections caused by eating items contaminated with bacteria or other organisms. A review of the child's eating habits also may be conducted.

Before making a diagnosis of pica, the doctor will rule out other disorders -- such as schizophrenia or obsessive-compulsive disorder as the cause of the odd eating behavior.

How Is Pica Treated?

Pica itself usually requires no treatment other than to pay close attention to the child's diet and eating habits, and to be sure the child gets adequate nutrition.

What Complications Are Associated With Pica?

There are many potential complications of pica, such as:

Eating non-food objects can interfere with eating healthy food, which can lead to nutritional deficiencies.
Certain items, such as paint chips, may contain lead or other toxic substances, and eating them can lead to poisoning.
Eating objects that cannot be digested, such as stones, can cause constipation or blockages in the digestive tract, including the intestines and bowels. Also, hard or sharp objects can cause tears in the lining of the intestines.
Bacteria or parasites from dirt or other objects can cause serious infections. Some infections can damage the kidneys or liver.
Eating very hard objects can damage teeth.
What Is the Outlook for People With Pica?

Pica usually begins in childhood and typically lasts for just a few months. However, it may continue in children who are developmentally disabled. In pregnant women, it almost always disappears after the baby is born.

Can Pica Be Prevented?

There is no specific way to prevent pica. However, careful attention to a child's eating habits and close supervision of children known to put things in their mouths may help catch the disorder before complications can occur.
~~~~~~

Iron-Deficiency Anemia
Pica

Pica is a condition in which a person craves substances that are not food, such as clay, dirt, ice, or flecks of old paint. Pica can have a physical cause, such as iron-deficiency anemia, or it may be due to a psychological problem.

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 03-13-2003, 05:43 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Jeannie

I did read the article on webmd, about pica, that is how I figured out that is what she is dealing with!!!!

mousebyte, yes I was told that calcium is "stronger" than iron and they "fight" to be absorbed, and calcium wins, so iron is not absorbed!!! I was also surpised to find that out!!!

I always, tell my kids goofy, weird things too. Poor kids, they will probably need therapy when they are grown, my sil and I joke aobut that all the time (kids needing therapy).

She has not eaten anything but food since, my earlier post, that is a record breaker for her, she likes the gum, I bought her a big bag of sugarless gum. I hand it to her and tell her no eating chalk or crayons, and she says OK.

Again, thank all of you for all of your help!!!

Karen
Old 03-13-2003, 08:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hey that is great news Karen. Like I say it worked for matt 95% of the time but we still have to keep the glue away from him, he still likes drinking it. That is to funny, my sister and I joke all the time about our kids having to go into therapy to deal with their goofy moms. With mine one kid will say "hey why did he get that and I will say because he is my favorite" but then the very next day the other kid will be saying "why did she get that and i will give the same answer "because she is my favorite". So they all have times when the other kids are told they are my favorites. Now they just ignore me when I say it and say no I'm your favorite so really why did she get that? Duh, you got something yesterday no one else got. And they say oh yea, I forgot.
Kids, they want an answer for everything. I once told mine that the government was putting a freeze on all kids allowances because parents were going to far into debt. They believed me for about a week, guess other kids told them your mom is making that up.
Have a great night.

mouse
Old 03-14-2003, 02:29 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I think I will try the freeze on allowance excuse, I like that one. I thought I was the only one who does stuff like that to my kids, must be our "upbringing".

I guess that is what happens to kids when their parents tell them goofy stuff, I guess it is the snowball effect!!!

Karen
Old 03-15-2003, 04:16 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I am so happy

DD has not eaten anything weird since Thursday that is almost a full 48 hours!!!!! I love the gum idea, she has not even gone through a whole 5 piece pack, yet!!!!!!

Thank you so much for the gum idea, I think it is helping!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

Maybe now I can get her potty trained, she constantly had diarreha(sp?). I think it was from the weird stuff she was eating!! It is very hard to potty train with "loose bowels".

Karen
Old 03-15-2003, 07:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Karen I am just so happy the gum thing is working for you and DD. I would still mention it to the doctor though just so he will have a record of it in case the problem reappears.

Just think what kind of goofy stuff our kids will be telling our wonderful grandkids one day.
And we will probably get on to them for it saying "I can't believe you told that sweet child that".

My middle son has gotten to where when I tell him anything unusual he says "really are you just joking" think maybe I joke to much with him?

mouse