Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 01-24-2003, 09:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Frequent stomach pains in toddler?

I was wondering if any of you have ever experienced dealing with a toddler that has frequent and recurrent sharp stomach pains and also occasional anal pains that may or may not be related? My 2-1/2 year old ds often has these problems and though I have taken him to two different doctors, I have not gotten any answers and they don't seem willing to do any examinations on him. They simply say that since he is still eating normally that it is probably just gas and they dismiss it. They tell me to watch his diet but I just can't find any relationship between what he eats and when he gets these pains.

Any words of wisdom here?
Old 01-25-2003, 06:31 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

You must be going out of your mind!!!!! Leave it to the Doctors to come up with NOTHING!! (I have issues about them!)

With regard to what your babe's eating....have you noticed the "properties" of that particular food? Meaning, is it a gaseous food....for me, I'm sensitive to the wierdest things that I wouldn't even consider problem foods. Maybe you ought to start limiting the diet to find out if any one, two, or however many items may possibly be causing this. By starting with a bland combination, then adding something else slowly....as much as I distrust doctors, he may be onto something with regard to gas. For me, it's an excruciating pain.

Terrie
Old 01-26-2003, 11:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My daughter has 'unexplained' stomach pain sometimes, but, we have put it together that within two days, she will have some sort of infection, such as an ear infection or lately, strep throat. She does not run fever, but, instead, her stomach hurts. When I told a doc about it, he said (afterwards, of course) Oh, yeah, some kids do that.

Anyway, I also heard, years ago, that there is some stomach disorder that mostly affects first born boys. I am sorry, I cannot remember what it is, but, you might do a google search, put "first born boy" and stomach and it might come up with something. If I have time, I will try later.
I pray that you find the answer and he is healed.

Be blessed,
Beckie
Old 02-01-2003, 03:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky

If he has frequent stomach pains, along with anal pain, it sounds to me like he might be having some kind of bowel troubles. Constipation, maybe? Have you taken him to the pediatrian? The next step after that may be to take him to a pediatric gastroenterologist.

Blessings,
Melanie
Old 02-01-2003, 04:27 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Is he potty trained? if so does he put off going potty so he can play longer? does he drink enough water? Most childhood problems w/ tummy pain and rectal pain is constipation but there are other things to be looked at also. Does he eat veggies and fruit? You may want to try a fiber additive....but diet is always best. and adding plenty of fluids. mostly water, out kids get way too much fruit juice.
Old 02-01-2003, 04:28 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

You might also want to look at the emotional and physical environment.

For instance: what's happening in his life, who is he with, what is happening in the household or daycare? Look at the day or so immediately prior to his pain coming on.

As for the physical environment, are there any chemicals he's in contact with. Some allergies are expressed in the gut instead of the nose, eyes, or skin.

And another question, difficult to answer -- is there anything he's particularly anxious about? Hard to believe a young child can be anxious but they pick things up from others like little sponges. Trouble is they have no tools or experience to help them understand. So something that might seem perfectly fine to older kids and adults might be quite upsetting to a little one.

I join in prayer for him and for you. May God put his hand on you both and heal this, as He promised.

Love--

Gramz
Old 02-01-2003, 04:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Sounds a lot like contispation and what my son went through! He was complaining of his stomach hurting and even throwing up sometimes. Doctor said the same thing, watch his diet.

I ended up doing research on the web and everything led to contispation. Sure enough, we had a long talk and even purchased some very mild stool softeners. He was holding it and then it would get too big and hard to pass. He was miserable. But he is doing much better now!
Old 02-01-2003, 07:14 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have a daughter that has frequent belly pains. We found by deductive reasoning that it was gas pains. I nursed her and I had to stop eating gassy foods and all type of milk products during that time. I also bottle fed for a little bit and she was unable to have regular formula. For some reason I didn't think about it (incredibly stupid on my part, I know) when it was time for her to go on milk. She drank it for 2 years before we really noticed there was a problem. She didn't always complain, so I didn't think about it. Then one day, my husband figured out it was the milk. We stopped the milk and she was much better. She still has gas though. It isn't caused by other dairy products though. There's something else we're not catching. If you haven't checked him already, that is something to consider the next time he is in pain. You also might consider keeping a journal of what he eats, when and when his belly hurts. That should help you pin point it if its an allergy problem of some sort. I do feel for you and I hope with all of the advice your getting, you are able to help your son. Good luck!

Last edited by vhterway; 02-01-2003 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-02-2003, 05:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

This is just a thought. My oldest daughter (now 29) used to have frequent and sudden tummy pains when she was very young. I took her to the doctor who had us do a test for pinworms. The test came back positive so the whole family took some tiny little pills. Pinworms are no reflection on a person's hygeine habits--they can pick them up just sitting where a child infected sat before them.

Our doctor at the time said that pinworms can often cause sudden and unexplained tummy aches. If it continues you may want to ask your doctor.

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 02-02-2003, 08:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

The conditon that affects first born sons is called pyloric stenosis. What this boy is experiencing would not be that. It usually occurs in the early months and is usually exhibits as projectile vomiting. It is caused by the sphinctering to the opening of the stomach, corrected by surgery. My brother had this when he was a baby in the 50's. And my son was a possible candidate when he started to vomit violently, and I mean spewing 2-3 feet! He was disagnosed as being part of something else ending in being a rare condition with his immune system.
I would think that constipation, milk allergy, gas might be causes. I would track what he eats at each meal and then log any reactions and the timeframe they occured after eating. Has he started daycare or any new activity lately? Sometimes children exhibit stomach pains when stressed.
Hope you figure it out soon, it is no fun watching your child in distress and not knowing what to do to help him or her.
Let us know what you find out.

Lizajane