Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 02-02-2003, 10:32 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Diverticulosis is also a something to look into. It's symptoms may include mild cramps, bloating, and constipation. It could get even more severe though. I believe it's low fiber foods that cause the irritability. Definately look into this since it can lead to infections, tearing, breakage & bleeding.

My sister had this & wasn't diagnosed finally until she was 17. Come to find out, it seems to run in our family.

Good Luck!
Old 02-02-2003, 11:10 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I would really check into the milk thing. I had stomach and gas problems from the time I was a baby until my early twentys before I found out I was lactose intolerant. I never connected it at all and in fact I was told to drink milk to help it! Yikes. When I first went off milk I couldn't have anything with milk in it. Its been almost 30 yrs now. I switched over to soy milk and love it (some people can't tolerate that either in which case you could try rice milk or almond milk) I can however tolerate cheese for some reason. Anyway, worth checking out.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My daughter was three when she would also complained of stomach pains (and leg pains at times). We could not find anything wrong. Nor could the doctor when we took her in. He suggested giving her Simethicone Drops when she complained of stomach pains. This has helped her much and she stopped saying her stomach hurt right after the drops. She is now five and will request the drops if her stomach starts hurting. The drops are an over the counter gas relief drops.

Old 02-03-2003, 10:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi. Thanks to everyone for all the tips! I think I have a lot of work to do! I was wondering about a possible milk allergy but I ruled that out since he LOVES dairy foods and this doesn't happen all the time. Now that I know you can be allergic and not always be affected I will have to examine that. He also probably does need more fiber. A nutritionist friend recently told me that applesauce is great for fiber so we have been letting him scarf down a serving of that for snack every day. He actually hasn't had the pains for a couple weeks so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks again for the advice. I will let you know if I find out anything else.

Old 02-05-2003, 11:19 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Have you had the quality of your drinking water checked?
When my daughter was a toddler, she often complained of stomach pains. We discovered that there was a problem with our tap water. The level of contamination was high enough to affect her, but not high enough to affect me or my husband. We were filtering the water at the time, but the filter itself allso was contaminated.
Old 02-05-2003, 12:25 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Toddler stomach pains

A friend of mine has a son who used to have severe stomach pains. It took a while to diagnose the problem which ended up being an allergy to wheat. He cannot eat anything containing wheat. They rarely eat out now and she buys a lot of cooking/baking ingredients at whole food stores or coops. Just another thought. Good Luck!
Old 03-07-2003, 11:40 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My daughter who is 3 1/2 had and actually still has frequent stomach pains. I took her to doctor after doctor. I was told she had an urinary track infection. They did an ultrasound on her stomach. I was told that her uterus is a bit too big for her body and that she has cysts on her overies. She was also a little bit constipated. With all this the only thing I was told to do was give her prunes for the constipation and leave it at that.She was going #2 everyday but still had lots of pain. I finally had enough and had her refered to a pediatricion. She was checked over and had her stomach ex-rayed. About 5 days later I got a call and was told she was so backed up with poop it was causing her problems. I explained that she was going normal and was eating prunes on a regular basis. I was told that wasn't enough and I had to put her on a laxative. It hasn't really started to work as of yet but at least now I know what is going on. I suggest going to a peditricion. Ask for an ex-ray of the stomach. I wish I had sooner. It would of saved me alot of worry and my daughter alot of pain.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have been suspecting that my 20-month-old is lactose intolerant. My DH can't handle anything with milk or cheese in it, but Lactaid pills do the trick for him. Obviously I can't hand those tablets to a toddler We tried him on Lactaid milk and it did seem to help. The pediatrician said, if it's working, then stick with it.
Wel, the milk has been hard to get lately, and I've almost run out (I do stock up with I find it....he drinks over a gallon a week and DH has been drinking it too ) so today I mixed his milk half and half with regular milk just to see. Sure enough he is pretty gassy and has loose stool. I have enough Lactaid milk for tonight and I do have a quart of soymilk that we haven't tried him on yet, and I guess my mission in life tomorrow is to find a supermarket that carries Lactaid whole milk. Luckily he doesn't seem to be in any discomfort.
I suppose I can't expect him to outgrow this if DH (and probably my FIL still have symptoms as adults )
Does anyone else have experience with a lactose intolerant child? He handles cheese OK for some reason, it's just milk he can't take.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Barbszy--my middle daughter developed lactose intolerance while still in high school. She was fine before that so we have no idea what brought it on. I just know she can't eat ice cream (not even the lactose free kind) nor cheese if she's going to be gone or going to work.

Can children take Lactaid? I think there may be drops that you can add to milk but not absolutely certain about that. As it so happens I have a link to Lactaid in my next freebie issue (THANKS TO LIFESTAR!). There may be some info on site. In the meantime, ask the manager of your favorite grocery store if he/she can keep it stocked. My m-i-l has wonderful management at her Krogers in Georgia. They have filled lots of her requests. I wish I had a Kroger.

The link is:

Free sample of LACTAID® Dietary Supplements
http://tinyurl.com/ueyc

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member