Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 01-07-2003, 04:30 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Multiple food allergies/behavior/special diets

Does anyone here have a child who is either: on the Feingold diet, on a strict elimination diet for multiple food allergies, has ADD/ADHD and you're considering dietary intervention, on the GFCF diet (for autism or other disabilities), is taking herbal or vitamin/mineral supplements for ADD/ADHD or similar problems? I'd love to discuss these issues with someone! My 8yo dd has multiple food allergies, Mosaic Down Syndrome, severe ADHD, and Sensory Integration Disorder. We are homeschooling her this year. One reason is to monitor her diet. Her doctor said we must avoid gluten, dairy, and sugar. We know she's allergic to eggs, peanuts, soy, and several other things. We have started her on Feingold, which eliminates all additives, preservatives, artificial colors and flavors, and natural salicylates (apples, raisins, berries, oranges, almonds, grapes, plums, and tomatoes). I am hoping she's okay with corn. There's just not much left! And I am researching which supplements will best help her. I know I'm not the only parent in the world with a child like this, and I'd like to talk to others out there who are managing their children's allergies/behavior/disabilities with diet.
Old 01-19-2003, 06:45 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

fiengold diet

sahmomof8
may I please ask you were I would find anything about the fiengold diet on the internet?
my son has adhd. this might help him alot.
thank you for your help.
marilou48
Old 01-19-2003, 11:25 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My son is ADHD and it is my opinion after some experience with him and my husbands Bipolar disorder that they are one and the same...

After coming to this conclusion I treat his ADHD the same as hubbies BP. That means NO caffeine which of course lets out all chocolates. I have discontinued dark sodas with the exception of a few rootbeers (caffeine free of course). I avoid any over the counter meds and try to go a natural route (cool cloth ect.) for fevers and colds. We also avoid red dyes and lastly we try to keep a sleeping schedule. Lack of sleep can cause a major episode. We use timers to get things done (and dh and ds can't work together lol as they are the king and prince of sidetracked)

I personally think this helps dramatically. Most people are no longer aware that my son is ADHD, unless I tell them.

Wokkertoo

Oh, I remembered another thing.. no antacids... all of this is my opinion of course, but I concluded all of this by charting, so it has to have repeated itself in order to be banned...
Old 01-19-2003, 12:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi, We had our autistic 5 yo on a GFCF diet for a while (the recommended period of 3 months) but didn't notice any improvements in his development with him being on the diet, not did we notice any behavioral deteoration upon reintroduction of gluten and casein, so we decided not to continue it.

A friend whose son is similar to ours said her boy had greater attention span being on DMG, so we tried that too, but also didn't notice any significant changes with it, and gave that up.

We may try vitamin B therapy at some point.

We subscribe to the Autism Research Institute's newsletter, and when we read of any therapies that seem to work for children who are most like our son, we generally want to try them.

We homeschool our son too (although right now, he is getting speech and occupational therapy from a speech preschool two mornings a week) because we feel that it suits his needs best. He has sensory integration dysfunction also and need a certain calm and quiet to his environment, which schools can't offer him.

Best of luck with your 8 YO...I know how hard it is to keep on any special diet!

Find out more about autism at:
Autism Research Institute
Old 01-23-2003, 12:19 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

Hi ~ my son as well has ADD and I have had phenomenal results with some herbal supplements and a nutrition program. This year his report card has shown no "bad marks" under behavior, study habits, getting work done, classroom behavior, using time wisely. It has been an incredible change! His teacher has really seen a huge improvement. He is even making friends now ~ no one wanted to be around him with his bad behavior before. It's so incredible to see! If you would like to talk more about his results, please email me at [email protected]

Thank you ~
Old 02-18-2003, 05:15 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello,
I have a daughter with specail needs (Verbal apraxia, add, sensory disorders, etc.).
I found that taking out almost all white flour, white sugar and processed foods (at least I don't bring ANY into the house) made a huge difference in her ability to attend and in her behavior.
I mill all of my flour which is the ONLY way to get the whole grain. I use an electric grain mill so it's very easy.
I began doing this about 5 years ago when I realized that you can NOT buy whole grain flour in the store. Any store bought flour (and I used to buy organic whole wheat flour) has the outer part of the grain removed which contains many of the nutrients (90%).
Even though I would bake my own breads to reduce some of the preservitives I didn't realize that their wasn't much in the way of nutrition in our breads.

Long story short...I bought a grain mill. I now will make all of our breads, muffins, cookies, etc. using only wholesome ingredients.

If we are on vacation and we don't have our "healthy stuff" I see am immediate change in my daughters behavior and ability to attend to tasks.

We did try the elimination diets and did go gluten free for a bit but that didn't seem to be her problem as much as eating processed foods.

Here is where I got my grain mill. I know that they also carry gluten free products too.
www.MountainTopsMilling.com

Betty