Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 10-12-2004, 12:24 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Question Acid Reflux

My 2 month old nephew has been spitting up everything when he eats. He looses weight and gains alittle back. My SIL took him to the doctor and said it was Acid Reflex. What can we do so he will not be spitting up all the time? He eats about every 3 hours so I know it isn't b/c we are feeding him too much. He eats 4 oz. every time he eats and burb him about every ounce... Please help

Thanks Becky
Old 10-13-2004, 10:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Becky - there are many different way to treat reflux - the most drastic being surgery and the easiest being to add a teeny tad of infant rice cereal to each bottle. There is also medication to treat it.

There is no way to know what method is right for your nephew without asking the pediatrician. Did the pediatrician not tell your SIL what he/she wanted her to do for it??
Old 10-14-2004, 09:55 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Abear, They just switched his milk and that was all. Gave him some kind of med. but it didn't help. He was loosing weight... I'll tell them to try the cereal. Thanks
Old 10-15-2004, 11:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I can completely relate to this!

I watch my 4 mo. old nephew and he has the same problem. My sil took him to a infant gastro dr at about 2 months of age because all this poor little baby did was cry at every feeding. They put him on pepcid and it has worked miracles. They also switched his formula to one that's called neutramagin. It's soy based and it seems easier for him to digest.

Oldest ds went through this too but 13 years ago they didn't have all the meds that they do now. He used to projectile vomit (sorry I know that's gross) his entire bottle back up so we switched him to soy based formula and that helped him a ton!

Good luck! I hope that this helps

Mom to 2 precious soccer bums!
Old 10-15-2004, 11:23 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Come to think of it they did which his milk to Lacto Free. I don't really know what that has to do with it but the other day when I was babysitting him I had my DD's formula on the counter and without thinking I gave him some 2 bottles before I realized what I did and to me he didn't spit up that much like he normally does. But to get WIC to switch milk you have to have a Doctor's order and she has done swiched it once, so don't know if they willagain or not. But all the suggestions I'm writing down and will sure try them and tell them to do the same... I know he has got to be miserable. I know I would... Thanks for your imput.

Becky
Old 10-15-2004, 11:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hi! I had the same problem with my son...I finally went and got those odd type of nipples for the bottles..they didn't allow any air in, also.. I made sure he was a little higher for his feedings. He had a couple of formula changes, and finally they said to try skim milk...but encourage them to call the doctor again and ask.

Also, my mom told me, he is hungry and eating too fast, he wants food...so I started him on rice cereal..after he started eating, it was gone...

Might work in their case, but again..they should call the doctor first.

janet
Old 10-16-2004, 01:16 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Poor little one...ask pediatrician if infant simethicone drops are appropriate. Sometimes they help while changing formulas. Some babies have IBS along with the reflux.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

It's not uncommon for an 8 week old infant to have reflux. It's of more concern if it continues for another month or two.,and the baby doesn't gain weight. (You're saying he is gaining weight?... even if his weight changes? )

Another warning sign that this is an abnormal kind of "reflux" that requires medical intervention is wheezing or difficulty breathing in the baby.. neither of which you have mentioned...

All reflux means is that the muscle that closes off the top of the stomach ( the pyloric sphynctor) isn't very strong yet, and there can be back-wash after he eats. It's not the same as the "acid reflux" we have as adults.

At 8 weeks old, he will most likely outgrow it.

My DD's who are both lactose intolerent had problems with bloating gas and diarrhea, in addition to reflux as a result of milk solids. Reflux by itself shouldn't be interpreted as a food intolerance.

In the meantime, be sure to give smaller, more frequent feedings and have him more upright when eating. Do not lie him flat after eating for about 1/2 hour, to give the tummy time to empty out.

Putting cereal in the formula will just make the back-wash thicker and increase the chances of his gagging on it.. What the tummy muscle can't hold.. it can't hold. It's a matter of muscular immuturity at this age.

Talk to his doctor in a few weeks if the sitting up and smaller more frequent meals aren't helping. ( And of course, it goes without saying, never "prop" his bottles)

Last edited by Lifestar; 10-16-2004 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:06 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

the_panhandler what is IBS?
Lifestar he is gaining weight but a couple of weeks of go he lost some. Don't know how much. I have heard of the upright for 30 min. How about putting him in the swing after feeding? I do that and he still spits up.

Thanks you guys
Old 10-16-2004, 09:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

littlecmom.. Being in the swing could cause him to slump.. slumping and slouching actually can cause more problems with reflux... You'd really need to tote him around in one of those front carriers ( snugglies) or carry him on your shoulder...

It's also not unusual for babies in their first couple of months to loose a few ounces here and there, as long as they make it up over all.. There is always weight shifts in the first two months.. After that, you expect the GI system and nervous system to mature, and things to settle down, and by 12 weeks, thy should gain weight, and eat steadily better.

IBS is irritable Bowel Syndrome. It is a very hard diagnosis to make in infants, and can only be done after ruling out if any more serious conditions exist.

In older children and adults it is characterized by abdominal bloating, pain, and episodes of diarrhea and constipation with no destruction of the GI tract.