Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 10-16-2004, 09:24 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well guess I"ll just have to try to hold him for about 30 min. It is kinda hard with 3 of kids here cring and arguing over toys though. But I believe I can handly it all... Thanks
Old 10-16-2004, 12:17 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

littlemom,
IBS is exactly what Lifestar said it is, it tends to run in families.
You didn't say if baby was pulling up his legs,gassy or fussing...all signs of colic (immature GI system) common in low birth weight and premies.
As a mom that had twins with colic I know its no picnic!

Hang in there. Maybe try to make that 30 minutes storytime or drawing time with the older kids? Best of luck to you and the little one.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

littlecmom, just curious, what are your nephew's weights over the past 8 weeks that have you concerned? ( you know birth weight, current weight, and losses in between...)
Old 10-16-2004, 05:10 PM
Nine Year Member

littlecmom
some babies just throw up/spit up more than others. Unless he is a preemie and the doctor is concerned about any weight loss he'll probably outgrow it pretty quick. Adding rice cereal to his bottles usually helps, although if it is a bad case of reflux it doesn't help much.
We just went through this with my granddaughter. She was 3 months premature starting out at 1lb 8oz. She had reflux for about 18 months. She was on prilosec and reglan; at one time they changed her meds to prevacid but it was to hard to dose her with that-she hated it, we went back to prilosec and that helped better.
At about 18 months my daughter took her off the medicine because it seemed to be the cause of her throwing up more often than not. She still has epidsodes, but usually only if she's gotten upset over something or gags on something. Otherwise she has gotten over the relux.
(her mom, my daughter was a projectile vomiter as a baby till she stopped taking a bottle, but I never asked the doctor about it at the time-don't believe anyone associated reflux with babies in the 70's very much)
The advice you've already been given-holding him up for at least 1/2 hour after eating and checking with pedi on medication, adding rice cereal to bottles is about all you can do at the moment, unless it seems to become severe.
Take care,
Old 10-17-2004, 11:00 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks the_panhandler No, he wasn't a premie. So guess I'll just hold him up. It's just we go through so many clothes and blankets and my kids never did do all that so I was just alittle concerned...

Thanks Becky
Old 10-17-2004, 12:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Try this - get a thick wedge - like the kind you prop your legs up on. Put the baby on the wedge so his head is higher than his legs. He'll gradually slide down, so you'll need to pull him back up from time to time, but it can be better than holding him if you are dealing with a housefull of kids!

Keep him on his side as much as possible, as he is at risk for aspiration and choking until he matures past the reflux.

Be sure both your sister and you understand exactly what the pediatrician is saying and what he is recommending. Have her ask for written information on infant reflux, and written instructions about feeding, etc. The thing is, he may have given her all the instructions and all, but because she is stressed and concerned, she didn't hear it all, didn't understand it well, and then didn't tell it to you "straight" because she didn't understand and couldn't remember it all. This is something that happens a lot, and we, as parents and as patients, need to make sure we do understand all this stuff. So we need either to write it down or ask the doc / nurse to write it down for us - or give us patient education booklets and brochures about our condition or our child's condition.

Cheerio!
Elizabeth
Old 10-23-2004, 09:49 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Littlecmom My daughter was born with that problem and in the 60's and very little was actually known about it.

Anyhow the dr told me to enlarge the nipple holes a little and add 1 tbs rice cereal to each bottle. It worked. I did hold her 30 to45 minutes after each feeding. Thank goodness the projectile vomiting stopped.

She is in her 40's now and has been fine ever since.

Goodluck it will work out.

lol patsAZ