Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Kid's Recipes Kids love to cook! There are so many different recipes that children can be a part of, share yours here!

Old 04-09-2003, 09:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Do you make your kids try new foods at least one time?

When we eat something that I know my 5 yr. old hasnt tried before, I insist that he at least taste it to see if he likes it or not--even if he insists he doesnt like the smell, look....whatever. I was brought up this way and to this day Im willing to try almost anything once. My DH, on the other hand, was never made to try anything when he was young and is now a picky eater---he goes a lot by the "looks" of the food. Heck, he never even tried pumpkin pie ( which he now loves) until he was 34 and a guy that he works with made him try it! Anyway, he thinks that Im being hard on my son by doing this. Does anyone else do this?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 04-13-2003, 11:38 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

This is EXACTLY what I have always done with our son (now 9), I ask him to at least try it and then if he truly doesn't like it, he doesn't have to eat it.....but I might ask him to try it again about three months later (with the same option of not eating it if he doesn't like it) but I have always stressed to him that as we grow and change, so do our taste buds, so just because he doesn't like something right now does not mean he won't like three months from now. And the funny thing is, this has actually happened to him (and even me!) on a few occasions!
Old 04-13-2003, 12:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Only 1 out of my 4 boys won't eat whatever is put on the table. He is just so fussy - we used to force him to taste whatever was on his plate - It always ended up being a shouting/crying match. On the other hand, the other kids just about eat anything & don't care what it is. We finally decided to give Ryan a choice - If he didn't like something, we would just substitute something else that was equally as nutritious - made meal time a lot easier for us.
Old 04-13-2003, 12:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My boys (11 & 12) have always had to try new foods. (That's the way I was raised, with the difference being that I had to eat it whether I like it or not!) That's a bit extreme, but I do make my kids eat most of what's put in front of them (unless they're really grossed out, even I don't like everything). But I figure it builds character and they won't embarass themselves someday eating at their boss' house or their inlaws when then food is less than ideal. I try to keep this within reason. (BTW, they don't let me off the hook when hubby served green lima beans--which I hate--they make sure I eat every bite, too!)

My younger one is still a bit on the picky side, but both boys have very different tastes in food.

My stepdaughter was a very picky eater and her mom didn't make her eat or try anything. So when she moved in with us it was a huge hassle. I'm not a short order cook and don't believe in preparing separate meals for picky eaters, so she had a choice eat it or prepare something else for herself that was equally nutritious (she was 13 and I'd been teaching her to cook for several years by then). Can't imagine doing that with a 5 year old, though! Guess they could just eat more of the other foods that aren't objectionable.

Just my $0.02
Old 04-13-2003, 01:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Trying New Foods

My husband and I have required our daughter to try most things she has not had before. Usually we expect her to take several bites of something before she can reject it. Also, my husband took a nutrition course a few years ago, and his instructor told them that you may have to eat something up to 7 times before you develop a taste for it. So, yes, we expect DD to eat something every time I serve it, even if it is only a few bites each time. We have seen her change her mind about something after several times of trying it. Like Pam, I also stress the idea that our tastes change over time. I hated baked beans and chili beans as a child (used to pick them out of the chili. But now I love just about anything with beans in it. Stick with it. It will be worth it in the long run. I now have a 6 year old who gobbles up things like tuna salad, salmon, zucchini, lettuce salad, and chicken or egg salad, etc.
Old 04-13-2003, 02:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I always insisted that our 3 dd's try new foods while they were growing up. This may explain why today they love fried green tomatoes, squash, eggplant, turnips and other not so routine veggies. Now they tell their kids they'll never know if they like something until they at least taste it.

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 04-13-2003, 02:20 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Stick to your guns! This is the exact thing my parents did with me and what I did with my children. We had what we called
the "tasting spoon" (a 1/2 tbl. measure) that we used for this. It was large enough that it provided a real taste of the food, but small enough that it didn't look overwhelming. My mother's rule was that we didn't have to eat any more if we didn't like it, but we also wouldn't get any more food until the next meal. My rule was that they didn't have to eat more but could get up to make THEMSELVES a peanut butter & jelly sandwich. However, this was the ONLY option, as I didn't want to encourage this choice and I was determined NOT to become a short order cook. I also insisted that they try a food every time I made it, for the same reason posted by others; tastes change! The result?...My siblings, myself, and my children are all adventurous eaters; willing to try anything at least once. It makes us healthy eaters, pleasant dinner guests, and easy to join for a meal out--we'll eat almost anywhere! I have always been grateful to my mother for this, and my children are happy I insisted on it, as well. You are setting your children a good example and starting them on the road to good nutrition. Keep it up and try, try, try to bring your husband around to your way of thinking. A negative attitude from him could really sabotage your best efforts.
Old 04-13-2003, 04:13 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My son's kindergarten teacher put it this way to the kids when it comes to trying new foods - "You never know when you will grow a new tastebud so sometimes you have to test your tongue and see if a new one grew" My son came home from school eager to try some new food just to see if he "grew" a new taste bud on his tongue! Her little talk has really made my job much easier when it comes to meal time.
Old 04-13-2003, 04:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

making one eat foods!

I am new to this thread but not new to FC. I too was raised to eat what was on my plate. I hated liver as a child but now love it. Likewise would not eat bell peppers, onions, cooked tomatoes and FAT and still don't eat fat and I am no spring chicken either lol I am 66 yrs young. I eat spinach and all the above now and enjoy them all.

My daughter never made her 14 yr old eat what ever if he did not want to but she makes the 4 yr old. Now figure that one out. Her 14 yr old eats pretty much every thing now but 4 yr old only wants HB's, HD's mac and cheese or pizza as a rule. forget any beans, peas. I can put a sausage patty on HB roll or even bread and tell him it is HB and he eats it right up lol. Of course he loves most all sweets but he smells them first and if he does not like the smell he does not want them.

Oh I am PattiG in Yorktown, Va God bless all
Old 04-13-2003, 04:55 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Erstbrmom---I LOVE the "new tastebud" idea. My five-yr-old grandson lives w/ me, and although he's a great eater, there are occasions when he balks at something new. I'm definitely going to use this idea! Thanks.