Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Kid's Recipes Kids love to cook! There are so many different recipes that children can be a part of, share yours here!

Old 01-31-2002, 04:56 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Everyone!!

I have two kids 12 and 10 who are always hungry in between meals (surprise surprise). I seem to go through snack items so fast, any suggestions on inexpensive snack ideas?
Old 02-03-2002, 06:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have a 17 year old and a 15 year old there idea of a snack and my idea of a snack are to very different things. I keep corn dogs in the freezer. You can also get luncheon meat and put a piect of wax paper between each slice and freeze in freezer bag. Then when they want a sandwich then they take a slice and run it under hot water from the facet and it thaws in seconds. One of mine loves pancakes so I keep homemade pancakes in freezer bags..2 minutes in micowave and they are done. Hope that helps
Old 02-04-2002, 05:27 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Mine are 3 and 10 and they seem to want something all the time. We have the "if you don't eat your meal, you don't get snacks" rule at our house, which takes care of a lot of the problems. As for snacks when they meet that one criteria, we have carrot sticks, raisins, prunes, saltines, dried apples, mini marshmellos, peanut butter with graham crackers, occassionally we'll have snacks like chips or cookies, or little debbies or something along those lines. When they eay those, though, it's like they are eating air. 10 minutes later they are back wanting something else, and that burns my cookies big time. What's the point of eating something to tide them over until the next meal, if it doesn't tide them over to the next meal? I usually don't even mess with those, it's just not worth it to me financially or nutritionally.

Mom to Brita 6/12/91

Logan 10/30/98
Old 02-05-2002, 12:08 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have 3 children, 9 ,4,& 7 months. My two older children love celery with peanut butter and they sometimes put raisins on it. They call it ants on a log.

We also dip fruit into yogurt, goldfish snacks, carrots with ranch dressing.
Old 02-07-2002, 03:19 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My girls are 3.5 and 6 years old and they really like pretzels, goldfish, animal crackers, tangerines and banana's. Mini ice cream sandwiches too when they are on sale. My older one is hungry all the time - she eats her meals and snacks. I'm guessing a growing spurt possibly?

Rebecca
Old 02-12-2002, 07:50 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

rebann-I just had to post on this before I went to sleep! Your older child sounds like my 8 yr old. He wants to eat all meals and then anything he can get his hands on in between! My kids all continue to amaze me. They will all go for celery and carrot sticks, apples and oranges before anything else, no matter what is available to them. I usually keep those things and little packages of crackers or pretzels. I buy the big bags of small pretzels and store brand "goldfish" and just divide them into snack size bags for them to help themselves after school. Also, Granma sends cookies every so often and they get one or two of those at a time. Unfortunately at the rate my older son eats the snacks, they're going to eat me out of house and home . As to the original question, I really find that dividing the bigger bags of "snack food" ahead of time cuts down onthe actual amount consumed and makes them last a bit longer.