Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Kid's Recipes Kids love to cook! There are so many different recipes that children can be a part of, share yours here!

Old 07-08-2002, 12:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb Low Carb/Low Sugar snacks?

Hi! This is what my kids look and act like when they've had too many refined sugars in their diets ;-) They both have ADHD, but we're trying alternatives to medication (behavior modification, and limited carb/additive/food coloring, etc) They seem to be completely different kids when they're off the sugars! I'm hoping some of you will be able to give me some good ideas for very low sugar snacks so the kids don't feel like they're being punished or are missing out on all the "good stuff". Also, if you have any ideas regarding medication alternatives, I'd LOVE to hear them. It really seems to be working pretty well so far (we just took a trip to upstate NY (approx. 21 hours each way) and the kids were super, except for a couple hours after they'd had soda) Thanks in advance! Good luck to anyone else dealing with this.
Old 07-09-2002, 05:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

What type of snacks do you want? Desserty ones, quick cracker style ones....

Maybe I can help if I know what you are looking for
Old 07-09-2002, 09:14 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle

Actually, I could use some of both....we've always had a quick snack at 10, 2 and 4 in addition to their meals, but good deserts would be nice too! Thanks!
Old 07-14-2002, 05:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Me Too, Me Too!

I would also appreciate any ideas or sources for snack and dessert ideas that won't make my kids feel deprived (no "awwh mom, can't we have a real dessert?" reactions).

Many of the books I've seen contain recipes that are too drastic a change or too "crunchy granola" for the easy step down that I need to do with my kids; they react before they even give it a chance.

I've also heard that "natural" sugars don't cause the same reactions as refined sugars and can be used in baking without much difference; does anyone know if this is true or all hype?
Also, can they also then be used in preserves and where do You locate them so that they don't cost an arm and leg.

thanks
patti
Old 07-14-2002, 08:04 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

ADHD Solutions

My step-son was diagnosed with ADHD in the 1st grade. We eliminated the sugars, and additives, but also added a nutritional supplement called KidsPlex, put out by GNC. We mixed it with juice, he liked orange pineapple juice the best. We also were very strict with his bed times and made sure it was very consistent. By the 3rd grade, we were much better, and his ADHD was removed from his record. We had many misbehaviors at school, but worked closely with his mother ( who he lived with) and had many talks about how to control those impulses. We eat lots of fruits and veggies, and he doesn't feel deprived at all. We find that when he's behind on his rest or he's had lots of sweets, we have "flares" I hope this helps!
Old 07-14-2002, 08:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I am so glad I saw this thread. I have a four year old I am really concerned about and am just starting to research this ADHD thing to discuss with his doctor in August. Are there more threads like this out there in familycorner? Thanks.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

As a diabetic I am always searching for low carb and low sugar snacks. I have found that I can make homemade cookies that I nearly have to hide form the rest of the family since they are so good! I simply substitute Splenda for the sugar in recipes, including chocolate chip. I did find them to be rather dry (did you know sugar ADDS moisture to recipes? I didn't but do now ) so I add 1/4 cup plain or vanilla yogurt (low sugar of course) or low fat sour cream to the recipe as I cream. The cookies turn out wonderfully soft and delicious.

I also eat reduced fat Peter Pan (the only brand to buy! ) and offer this to my grandkids on celery. My 14 month old goes nuts when he sees the celery come out now! (I know, I am VERY careful about giving it to him and only use a slight smear but he loves it anyway).

I have found that almost any recipe can be adapted. it just takes patience and experimenting.

Another good snack is low sugar yogurt with a little granola stirred in. Yum yum and my 6, 5 and 14 month old grandkids like it too. It took me a while to find one that is truly low sugar but I did by reading lables. Darned if I can recall the name of it now, but it's a well known brand.

Good luck!

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 07-18-2002, 08:33 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

low carb snacks

Right up my alley! I have been low carbing since January, and have lost 45 lbs. Im at my goal weight now, but will always stick to this way of eating, cause it's healthy. People have the assumption that when you low carb, you pour lard and fat down your throat, which is so far from the truth that it's comical. I eat veggies, good fats (olive oil, nuts), and yes I do eat dairy products. Cut out the sugar and I have more energy now than I ever had. I don't know much about ADHD, but I thought I would chime in here anyway. For my snacks, I eat pieces of cheese dipped in sour cream, or guacamole (which kids may not like). I also eat lots of pork rinds dipped in sour cream or full fat Ranch dressing. (And yes, my cholesterol is fine, and has been since low carbing). Black olives and almonds are good snacks too. (If your kids like those). I will take 5 (only 5) Ritz crackers, (since it is 10 grams of carbs per 5), and spread on No sugar/No salt Peanut Butter, and also sugar free jam. This is my treat during the day. Since Im on what you call "maintenance" now, I can eat up to 70 grams of carbs a day, and keep my weight off. At first I kept the count at 30, and the weight fell off. Im very healthy, and my doctor is ecstatic that Im on this lowcarb plan. She's been trying to get me to do this for so long, and I just didn't understand it or even want to consider it. But I saw what it did with other people, and Im happy to report that my health is in A-1 condition. I know I got off track here, cause you asked about snacks for kids, but I tend to do this once in awhile. Anyway, I wish you success in keeping your kids away from processed sugar. I believe sugar is the culprit. No doubt about it, it's not good for us. BTW, I eat fruit too, and it's natural sugar. Although I don't splurge, I do eat it once in awhile.
Old 07-18-2002, 03:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

crissy

Sounds like what you did is what I need to do!

Did your doctor refer you to a book on the issue, give you a "hand-out sheet" or what?

How do you know how many carbs there are in foods that are not prepackaged.....such as a baked potato??

Old 07-18-2002, 04:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Abear, I bought a book (went to half.com) that has just about every food known to man and its carbohydrate count in it. It's paperback and great! I lost 42 pounds myself by watching carbs and sugar intake after I was diagnosed diabetic last year. THEN my husband lost his job and I got off track. He's working again and I am determined to get back on the plan again. I know I'm a carb addict so it isn't easy but it CAN be done. Read those labels! I try to limit myself to 24 grams carbs and 7 grams of sugar. It means I give up LOTS of foods but it ALSO means I stay off of insulin and hopefully live a long and full life.

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member