Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Kid's Recipes Kids love to cook! There are so many different recipes that children can be a part of, share yours here!

Old 04-02-2002, 03:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Foods your Kids Make

Are there any meals or food that you allow your child(ren) to make themself?

If so, can you share them with us.

Ok I will start...

My daughter loves to make her own sandwiches. She has a special knife that won't cut skin so she enjoys preparing them herself. She also loves to reheat things in the microwave. SHe feels very grown up.

Also, I have her help me in the kitchen when preparing meals so she cando the measuring.

Old 04-03-2002, 07:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My kids are 11 and 7 years old, and have been cooking in the kitchen since they were four. I have always included them in cooking, and now they rarely need me for breakfast or lunch preperation. My 11 year old makes a mean shrimp scampi, and can do almost everything I do in the kitchen short of draining pots of pasta and grilling meats.

My daughters started by mixing tuna and mayo, spreading peanut butter on bread and celery, tearing up salad greens, etc. They now prepare breakfasts for themselves, slicing fruits, and preparing instant oatmeal in the microwave. There are always cold cereals that are self-serve, and a miriad of toaster-ready waffles and pancakes. Bacon is microwave ready, and easy for them to prepare themselves, and they can both scramble eggs on the stove themselves.

They can heat up a can of soup to accompany their sandwiches, microwave mac-n-cheeze, make baked potatoes with melted cheeses in the microwave, and prepare many other microwave oven treats. They also make toasted cheese sandwiches, which are a good alternitive to grilled cheese, as they use less fat. They toast the bread, layer on the cheese, and microwave the sandwich for 20 seconds. This is a lunch they make for themselves on the weekends. They also prepare english muffin pizzas, as long as the 11 year old does oven-duty.

Since they can both read, they can follow directions on any microwavable package. The seven year old is prohibited from microwaving anything liquid ( to avoid the scald burn danger) but aside from needing help with that step, she is an accomplished chef. She makes the best meatloaf in the house, having learned how to use measuring spoons as a pre-schooler by cooking with me. We cook our meatloaf in the microwave, and it comes out juicy and wonderful in about 20 minutes.

By starting them in the kitchen as toddlers, they learned safety and technique at an early age. I love sharing the kitchen with my daughters, and they surprise me with their creativity and love of cooking.

On mother's day, my breakfast in bed is actually tasty! It's great.
Old 04-07-2002, 10:46 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

HELLO ALL.
MY KIDS ARE 9-12-13-14 & 17 AND THEY CAN ALL COOK MOST THINGS, THE 9 YO ISNT ALLOWD TO COOK BY HERSELF, BUT THE OTHERS DO. MY 14 YO DAUGHTER COOKS QUITE WELL AND HAS FOR A FEW YEARS NOW, SHE HAS DONE MOST OF THE HOLIDAY BAKING FOR ABOUT 5 YEARS NOW, SO SHE HAS MASTERED COOKIES AND CAKES AND SUCH, I'M QUITE PROUD OF THEM. NOTICE THAT I DIDN SAY MUCH ABOUT THE 17 YO- COOKING REALLY ISNT HIS CUP OF TEA , BUT THATS OK.
KIM.
Old 04-08-2002, 05:25 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Beware: student cooks!!!

The kitchen makes a good "Mom and Me time". But as you have more kids, they all fight to help you do the cooking! My son loves to help me make dirt cake. The older children started out making monkey bread. The little ones may just start out with instant pudding.
Sue
Mom of 5
Old 04-08-2002, 07:09 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

My son is 4, and he makes his own sandwiches--he has his own "knife"(one of those spreader things). He can pour his own cereal and milk(I put it in a smaller carton instead of the huge gallon so he can handle it). He helps peel eggs, mix batters and doughs and makes instant puddings. I don't let him actually "cook" yet, even in the microwave, but I'm sure nuking things is just around the corner lol!

It may sound strange, but I was pretty anal about teaching him a few basics as soon as I found out I was pregnant with him. Once as a child, my mom told me a story about a little boy whose mom died in her sleep, and he kept himself and his little brother alive for a while by eating peanut butter out of the jar(he'd stick his finger in and let the baby suck it off.)until they were found. The story stuck, and with me being a diabetic I wanted to be sure my boy would be okay! Go ahead, call me paranoid
Old 09-05-2002, 03:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky

Hi!

When my dd was about 3 or 4, she started making the single serving instant pudding. (It used to be sold in a can. I now just add a box to the can so she can still make a single serving.)

1 serving pudding = 1/2 cup milk & 1/8 cup pudding mix
Stir in bowl until it becomes pudding.

When my dd was in 1st grade, she started making her own sandwiches for lunch at school. (She said her's tasted better!)

She also has been making the single serving macaroni & cheese and tv dinners in the microwave.

She just turned 9 and thinks she cooks great!
Old 09-09-2002, 03:43 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I started making my own lunch in Kindergarten--my mom didn't like getting out of bed that early so it was my job right off the bat! I think it's great that your dd is so self-sufficient!

Don't get me wrong--kids need to be kids, so don't make/let them do it all! But my uncle stayed with us for a while when I was about 7 or 8--the guy had no idea how to do things for himself! His mom did it, then his wife. I was the one that taught him how to make a grilled cheese sandwich, heat a can of soup, make mac-n-cheese, and do his laundry! The man literally didn't know how to turn on the stove or use the washer!! He was in his 40's ! So I think teaching the basics is very very important--especially when it helps with self esteem and responsibility(ie, my son is responsible for washing the knife and putting the stuff away when he's done). Plus, cooking with your kids is FUN!!
Old 09-09-2002, 05:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

~new snack~

The latest snack rage for my 7 year old is a new "invention" of hers.

She pushes "corn on the cob holders" into each end of an apple (you could use popsicle sticks) Then spreads a generous ammount of peanut butter all around the outside of the apple, and then presses on mini marshmallows and/or chocolate chips. (She prefers a Granny Smith apple, but you could use your favorite variety). She proceeds to enjoy her creation as you would an "ear of corn"!

(This snack must be served with A LOT of napkins.)
Old 09-09-2002, 09:14 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Lifestar, my nephew makes a snack like that, only he likes rice crispies or cheerios. You aren't kidding about lots of napkins lol! Better yet, just have the tub ready and waiting!
Old 09-09-2002, 04:15 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lifestar, Would you please post the Microwave Meatloaf Recipe? I've been wanting to make a meatloaf but it's so hot, didn't want to heat up the house. TIA. Both DH and DKS know how to sew so they can make their own clothes and repair them when needed. I would rather make a whole outfit than do repairs so DH does most of them. He thinks it's cool to be able to sew. Now if I could just talk him into learning how to make quilts. Guess I got a little off the subject but it is good for them to be able to take care of themselves when they get out on their own.