Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Just for Grandparents Here is a special place for all our proud grandparents to share their stories with us and other grandparents.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
What do your grandkids call you?

My mom is called a different name from each set of her grandkids ( my kids, my sister's kids and my brother's kid).

My niece, who is the oldest grankid, calls her "Gram" ( brothers kid)

My nephews (sisters kids) call her "MawMaw"

and my kids call her "Grandma"

They all called my Dad "Pappy".

My husbands side of the family insisted that the kids call DH's Dad "Grandpa".

Im just curious as to how many different names that Grandparents are called.

One thing is for sure, They are all said with

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 02-25-2004, 09:03 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Let's see my kids, and all my nieces and nephews call my parents Grandma and Grandpa.

They call my father-in-law Pappy, and step mom-in-law is Called by her name.

My mother-in-law is called Mom-Mom, by her request, and step-dad-in-law is Pop-Pop or his real name.

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 02-26-2004, 07:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I called my grandfather "Pappy" too but it really got under my in-laws skin if my son messed up and called my DH's father Pappy and not Grandpa.

I love seeing the different names.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 02-26-2004, 07:56 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Oh, gosh, actually, my father-in-law is called Pappy because I think it sounds like something you would call a much older man. And father-in-law, always thought he was sooo young.

The best part is is he has a son the same age as our oldest child and he also has a child younger than our two oldest children.

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 03-07-2004, 06:00 PM
Assistant Moderator

my natural gkids are calling me Nana.... which thrills me now.... at first I wanted to be name Granny... due to the fact that my favorite aunt was name Granny for my daughter to call her that. FOR I went to live with her for a spell when my dd was young due to a separation from my 1st hubby... since she was name Granny Grace I wanted my name to be Granny... as I didn't want to be name after the name my mother was to the kids... which was Nanny....

I couldn't think of a name, and someone mention to me about being the name Nana... and with my dgdaughters are name Chynna and Hanna, I like the Name Nana for it sounds as if they were name after my grandmother name. LOL but they weren't.

my step gkids call me Bar Bar. where I got my screen name.
as the oldest one is 19 and the middle one is 16....

now my newest step gson will probaly call me Nana too since he is just 6 months and I've been in the family for 18 yrs.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

One of my grandmothers was "Nanny" to us. And she lived to see 8 great-grandchildren born....my oldest DS (the oldest grandchild) started calling MY mom "Nanny" as a toddler, probably due to confusion. She did not want to be "Nanny" but she wanted to be "Gram." Well, "Nannie" (she changed the spelling) stuck with my kids, and my sister's kids call her "Grannie" which I know she can't stand!

My dad and FIL are both "Grandpa" and to distinguish them, FIL is often called "Grandpa Tony."

My MIL is "Grandma" to all her grandkids.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:03 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We have lots of different names for different grandparents and great grandparents. My husband is half-Japanese so we call his parents Oje-san (grandfather) and Oba-san (grandmother). Most the time the kids just say Oje and Oba. My husband's grand parents (mom's side of the family and are American born) we call Gran-Gran (great grandpa) and Gran-Daubie (Daubie had been around forever).
On my side we call my mom Grandma B. (last name starts with a B) and my grandmother Ya-Ya because I have Greek and Italian heritage. Ya-Ya is a Greek way of saying grandma. The other great grandparents we just say great-grandma or great-grandpa and their name.
Donna
Old 03-20-2004, 05:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My granddaughter calls me Mimi, my stepgrandson calls me by my name. I would rather he called me Mimi too , but I guess he isn't comfortable with it....maybe some day.

Mimi is what we called my grandmother. My oldest brother was mad at her one day when he was little and tried to call her meanie, but it came out as mimi. The name just sort of stuck and all of her grandkids called her that from then on.

Terri
~tidbit~
Old 03-20-2004, 05:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Before my own grandmother passed away, she was called "Granny" by my kids and "Grammy-O" by all the other cousins' kids.

My mother and step-father are called "Nana" & "Deda" (which was started by my oldest son--isn't it nice to be the oldest grandchild?). My father and step-mother are called "Granddaddy" & "Grandma Nanci" (although she'd rather be called "Nana" instead).

Charlene, mother to five

When God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

my dad is "poppy" and my mom is "nanny elly" although her real name is Judy - go figure