Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Just for Grandparents Here is a special place for all our proud grandparents to share their stories with us and other grandparents.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:05 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

My daughters call the inlaws Grandma and Grandpa and my parents are Gramps and GraMona (my mom's name is Ramona and by her request we just added the G, although when DD3 was little she called her GraMO)
Old 03-20-2004, 06:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi,

Growing up both sets of grandparents were Grandma and Grandpa.

And now my parents are called Grandma and Grandpa by my DD and my brother's kids. My DS calls them Grandma and Papa.

My inlaws are called Nena and Papa by all the grandkids.

My Paternal Grandma was known as GG by my cousins kids. As my Aunt was called Grandma. (GG stood for Great Grandma).

My Maternal Grandparents are called Great Grandma and Great Grandpa by my kids.

My good friends are known as Nanny and Pappy by all their grandkids and my kids too. LOL

And a friend's kids call their Grandma from Germany Oma.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:47 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My mother's mom is called Granny & Granny Baird & her father was called Grandpa & Grandpa Jack.... My father's mom was called Grandma, Minnie-Ruby & Grandma Ruby-Red & his dad was called Pawpaw... . My grandmother-in-law is called Bubbie & Bub.... My mother-in-law is called Meema she chose the name, & my father-in-law is called Poca my niece named her.. My neighbor is called Nahnee. This was fun. Thank you for asking.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Shelley, Welcome to Family Corner!!

I grew up calling my brother "Bubby" and still call him "Bub" now. He is almost 17 years older than I am. The name just stuck from my greandfather calling him "bub". My sister ( 4 years younger than me) call him that too. Our kids call him "uncle Bub" too. His name is Bob but I have such a hard time with that, LOL!! My Dh refuses to call him Bub so he calls him Bob....cant say I blame him though....

This has become one of my favorite topics!! Isnt is crazy how many different names are out there? I just love it!

We are a friendly bunch here at FC. Dont be shy, join in and talk with us!!!! We LOVE to talk up a storm!!!!!

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 03-20-2004, 09:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My step dd calls me "gramdma" because she wants her girls to call me grandma. So far it hasn't worked out......the 13 yr old calls me grams.... the 12 yr old calls me "my gramma", and the 3 yr old just looks at me and cries.

The second step dd never speaks to me and neither does her son. But her first dd calls me grandma.

The grands all call my hubby grandpa, with the exception of the grandson. For some reason he never speaks to either of us therefore has no name for us.
It is a sad situation.

I hope "our" daughter has more respect for us than "his" kids seem to.

Angelgram
Old 03-20-2004, 09:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
angelgram, First of all, Let me WELCOME you to Family Corner!!
(((Hugs))) to you! Im sorry to hear that your step kids are treating you that way. I have 2 step kids that we never get to see but not for the lack of trying on our part. I hope the kids wake up and realize the hurt they are causing you!

Dont be shy! Jump in and talk with us.....theres always something interesting going on here!

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 03-21-2004, 12:44 AM
The Original Coupon Queen
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Let's see..... My grandparents, on Blondie's side, were "Nana" & Gramps...... On Dad's side..... we didn't see them very much, and since they were divorced, just Grampa & Grandma. My children called their father's mother, "Mimi", and that grandpa was deceased...... On my side, Blondie was always "Gramma" & my father, "Grandpa". My grandchildren, all call me "Gram".......unless they have to distinguish between I and their other grandma. Then I'm "Gramma Carol, and 'she' is "Gramma Dianne".

Carol Ann
Old 03-21-2004, 05:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Good morning one and all, I also enjoy reading the diff names we called/call our grand parents.

Now my one brother got a name due to my paternal G-Mom wanting him named something and also my maternal G-Dad as well as my Mom so Dad settled it and named him Clement (G-Mom's maiden name) Miller Mom's maiden name and G-Dad's last name) and Salyer as that was Dad's last name thus Clement Miller Salyer. Dad dubbed him Butch before they even left the hospital, I have always called him that and Dad did to till we lost him. Mama (G-Mom) always called him Clement, G-Dad did as Dad and I, Mom
fell in with us on Butch too lol. My children all call him Uncle Butch. Now when Butch got older and working etc he went by C M but then started using his Confirmation name which is Michael/Mike. His wife calls him Mike and all new friends but ole die hard here refuses to say anything but Butch tho' Mom did use it once in awhile.

Now my older daughter is Merri Ruth but all the family calls her Pinky except her second hubby John he calls her Merri. When she started a job years ago, she told Steve (now EX) to never call her Pinky around her job lol, he called there once to speak to her and automatically asked for Pinky of course they did not know who that was so he had to then say Merri, the cat was out of the bag then and all started and still do call her Pinky. She does not work their since moving up to north Va but the friends from there still call her Pinky.

Well, now that I have totally confused all of you will say bye for now. Got to get IMP's breakfast oh for those of you that are new and have no idea who IMP is he is my 5 yr old g-son Steven but he IS and imp thus Granny calls him IMP.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:53 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

Name Calling Grandma

My daughter calls her NANA.
My brothers family calls his in laws something other then NANA. But my mother loves being called something different then grandma. DD sometimes says grand ma ma, but always she falls back on NANA.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

names for grandparents

My grandkids call me Grandma, and my hubby Grandpop. They call my mother Mom-Mom, and their other grandmother Nana.
When my son was little, he grandmoms were: Grammy, Grandmom, Mom-Mom, and his grandparents from Wales were Nine and Tide. That's Welsh for Grandmom and Grandpop!:p