Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Just for Grandparents Here is a special place for all our proud grandparents to share their stories with us and other grandparents.

Old 12-02-2003, 07:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Well, guess now it's a toss up. Leap Frog, or chalkboard/art easel. Those are non gender items. I want to get my grandbabies educational things, since they are only 2 and younger. I want something that is going to last, and can be used by the younger two gbs, when they get older. I want something that will LAST, not get broken, or stuffed away somewhere. I want a tried and true LASTING educational "progressive" toy. If you know what I mean. Something that can "grow" with each child.
I might just get both. For both families. That would solve MY dilemma.
Thank you all, again, for your input.

Heavenly Forecast: Reign Forever
Old 12-02-2003, 07:47 PM
Assistant Moderator

LoriMae
you are more than welcome, sorry I couldn't help out. but since I didn't know exactly what u were looking for I just name gerernal stuff.

jns131
so often if we do not know if a child is a tom boy or not we focus on little girl stuff, sorry it offended you
people has to be more specific for us to be able to toss out ideas.

books are always good to have around.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Suealln, If your grandkids are 2 and younger, I would suggest the chalkboard/easel --maybe one that has a magnetic side to it that way you could also supply those magnetic letters ans numbers. You could also make your own magnetic pictures by taking photos and laminating them, then adding magetic strips to the backs.

Photo books are also good for that age, especially filled with Mom& Dad, Grandma and GrandPa, brothers & sisters and the family pets. My son loved looking at pictures when he was that age.

I know that you want learning toys but a play telephone kept my son occupied too. He spent so much time talking to HIS Grandma ( as he told everyone ). BTW, He hasnt stopped either.....his favorite thing to do everyday is to call my mother and talk about his and her day.

I looked at the Leap Pads for younger kids and I also thought that the books were cheap and could easily been torn up. I think it would be a better gift when they learn how to take care of things.

How about cassettes or Cds? Baby Einstein has some great selections out now. The Wiggles are a favorite of ours too.

Just some more ideas.......

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 12-02-2003, 08:20 PM
kellyandkids

When I did daycare, keep kept tellingme that ididn;t haveenough boy toys. What's a boy toy I would ask. No one could tell me what i was missing.

Now I have a boy. I have more cars and more legos. I still have only one little box of ugly guys.

It's my middle girl asking for a hot wheel track. No - because I have no more room in the house.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I appreciate everyone's input. Sarah has been an only child for a very long time and has everything.

I have done the clothes thing in the past but I don't want her to think I'm the Grandma that always send clothes. As I had one like that when I was a child. And she also has lots of the techy stuff.

jns131, I'm sorry I offended you also. But since my GD lives in Texas and we don't correspond very much I have to look to my internet friends for ideas because most of them still have children and know better what kids like more than I do.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Just my 2 cents here too...... I checked out the Leap Frog Learning Table for my DD who will be 7 mos. at Christmas. I wasnt impressed with it. While they will make music with it, it doesnt really do all that much....and it is expensive. We chose a Playskool learning table instead that has many more activites. Like the LPLT, it will lie flat on the floor for babies that arent standing yet or it has legs for it too.

She is at the age where she really doesnt need a lot of toys at all. I bought her a smiley face/ teether rattle and a set of baby keys at our Salvation Army store for 50 cents...both were new. The rattle was 5.99 at ToysRUs. We also found another sm. activitly center for $1.50. Im thinking that is it for Christmas. Im asking everyone to buy her clothes, socks and nightclothes because she is at a stage where she is outgrowing everything so fast.

Enjoy the time while they are young and dont ask for a lot, LOL!!

;-)

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 12-03-2003, 01:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by LoriMae
I appreciate everyone's input. Sarah has been an only child for a very long time and has everything.

I have done the clothes thing in the past but I don't want her to think I'm the Grandma that always send clothes. As I had one like that when I was a child. And she also has lots of the techy stuff.

jns131, I'm sorry I offended you also. But since my GD lives in Texas and we don't correspond very much I have to look to my internet friends for ideas because most of them still have children and know better what kids like more than I do.
LoriMae - I have a 6yo DD and 7yo and 10 yo nieces. They are into the Bratz dolls and Polly Pocket, the ones that are about three inches and can be dressed. The also like stickers, cute little purses and books such as The Boxcar Children. Also diaries or journals.

JNS131 - I do not put gender on mine. She has cars, etc and DS has dress up clothes and they play together with dolls, trucks etc all the time.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 12-03-2003, 06:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have boys and girls toys here for the dgbs' and old phones we no longer use, and tv remotes. And we have measuring spoons, and other things. The kids play with all of them. It doesn't matter what it is. They really like the boxes that fit into each other. They are different colors. We have rattles for the younger babies, and they play with them too. So, it doesn't matter what it is, it is played with. Kids are very easily satisfied with ANYTHING.
But I think I am going to go with the chalkboard/art easel. They both love to write, and draw, so.......I'll let someone else get the LeapFrog. Those books are only $10.00 each, but I can buy art paper for a couple dollars, and they'd be happy with that. Sure would save the walls and furniture. Found out, my gds' aunt is buying her a leapfrog computer. And I haven't started Christmas shopping YET, (so many other things going on, haven't had time) so money and time, is short. And with LeapFrog being such a high demand item, I'll be sure to get the chalkboard/art easel. And the magnet thing was a good suggestion, so that is what I'm getting.
Thank you ALL for your input, once again.

Bar_bar, thank you SO MUCH for the recipe for homemade chalk. That will save alot of money in the long run, and the kids LOVE to write on the sidewalk. So that will be a big help. Now I just have to write it out, since my printer isn't working. Could you email it to me, so I can save it, and print it out later? I'd really appreciate it. Thank you again.

Picture books are a good idea. I have an encyclopedia for children, it has alot of pictures in it, and they absolutely love that book. Of all the books I have, that is the first one they grab. I'm a member of Scholastic books, and so I have alot of the WaltDisney books, but that encyclopedia is the favorite, by far. They bring it to me and start turning the pages and telling me what every picture is.

As for clothing for them, they all get new clothes every week from somebody, or they get handmedowns from someone else that has an older child. They all have more clothes than they can wear. They would have to change their clothes at LEAST 6 times a day, and they still wouldn't be able to wear them all before they grew out of them. Some of their clothes NEVER get worn. So they will get maybe one outfit each from me.

I have a valance that has pictures on it. A friends sister made it for me. She ran the pictures through the copier, and put them on some photo transfer paper, and then placed them on the fabric. Pretty easy. And the dgbs' love looking at it. It has pictures of them as newborns, pictures of my sons wedding, pictures of my parents 50th anniversary, pictures of my dogs, etc., etc. It's been put away now though. I don't want it to get messed up. But they did love looking at it. They could tell who, or what each picture was.

Gotta get busy.
Everyone have a wonderful day. And stay warm and safe.
Sue

Old 12-03-2003, 11:15 AM
Assistant Moderator

Quote:
I have a valance that has pictures on it. A friends sister made it for me. She ran the pictures through the copier, and put them on some photo transfer paper, and then placed them on the fabric. Pretty easy. And the dgbs' love looking at it. It has pictures of them as newborns, pictures of my sons wedding, pictures of my parents 50th anniversary, pictures of my dogs, etc., etc. It's been put away now though. I don't want it to get messed up. But they did love looking at it. They could tell who, or what each picture was.

oh sue that sounds darling, I could do my drapes in my office that way, and then add picutures of horses on them. wow, you got my mind racing, thanks for the ideas.

YOU should by now got the chalk receipes if not let me know and I will send again.

a beautiful day outside except for that wind.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Bar_bar, Got it. Thank you so very much.

The valance is beautiful. With all the pictures on it, it's gonna be a keepsake. That's why I put it up. It has two pictures per square. It has a patchwork quilt look. It's 8 squares across, and 8 down. It was made with muslin, and whatever other material you want. The pictures are on the white muslin. And it has a white backing. And then the tabs at the top are made with the other material. It's printed material square then the muslin, print, muslin, etc., etc.

Print muslin print muslin print muslin
muslin print muslin print muslin print.

Like that. If ya know what I mean. But you could make it any way you wanted to. My friends sister said the muslin is best for pictures, especially if you use glossy transfer paper. Which she did. She said the pictures come out better, clearer, on the muslin. They look ok on any type of material, but they are kind of blurry looking. You could use whatever type of material, and paper, you wanted.
You can make the pictures bigger, or smaller, depending on how many you wanted per square. Just size them on your computer, print, and you are ready to transfer. But you have to watch when you put them on whatever, because you could get them upside down very easily. I had one sideways, because I wasn't paying close attention. It looks alright, because of what the picture was of, but I watched how I put them on after that.
Anyway, thank you again.
Sue