Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Just for Grandparents Here is a special place for all our proud grandparents to share their stories with us and other grandparents.

Old 11-30-2003, 10:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Yep, I think the chalkboard/artpaper easel is the way I'm going. That or the art center table. But I think the chalk board easel will be better. Because it folds flat, and they can store it in the closet if parents want to get it out of the way.
The grandbabies love to draw. But since they are only two years old and under, I think that would be good. I have two 2yr olds, one 1 year old, and the youngest is 7 months. Soon to be 8 months old.
So, of the two choices for easels, one is FisherPrice, and one is wood. Which one would last the longest. Probably the FisherPrice, since it's plastic, and there wouldn't be any possiblity of splinters, like the wood one would probably have.
Another question, of the art easel, and the table, which one?
Thank you all for your input.
Sue

Heavenly Forecast: Reign Forever
Old 12-01-2003, 03:55 PM
Assistant Moderator

Sidewalk Chalk

Dixie cups
Plaster or casting compound
Powder paint
Craft sticks
Water
Pour 1/2 cup of plaster into Dixie cup (cup should be 1/2 full). Add about 1 Tbsp. of powder paint to plaster and a little water. Mixture should be moist but not watery or soupy. Mix the ingredients together with craft sticks for 1 minute or 2. let the mixture dry for 24 hrs.

Street Chalk

Plaster of Paris
Water
water based paint in different colors (washable tempera was recommended)
assorted plastic containers (laundry detergent scoops, small yogurt containers, etc.)
Spread newspaper on work surface. Fill large plastic container half full of plaster of Paris and slowly add water. Stir until the plaster looks and feels like pudding. Next, add paint until you have the color you want. Scoop the mixture into small containers and let it set for about one day, or until all of the water has evaporated. When the plaster is dry, turn the containers upside down and hit them on a hard surface until the chalk falls out.

Eggshell Sidewalk Chalk

1 teaspoon very hot tap water
food coloring (optional)
eggshells
flour
Wash & dry eggshells. Put into bowl & grind into a powder. Discard any large pieces. Place enough flour and hot water in another bowl to make a paste. Add 1 tablespoon eggshell powder and mix until a paste forms. Add food coloring if desired.
Shape and press mixture firmly into the shape of a chalk stick, and roll up tightly in a strip of paper towel. Allow to dry approximately 3 days until hard. Remove paper towel. Presto! You have chalk! Eggshell chalk is for sidewalks only.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I could use some suggestions for an 8 year old girl and a 2 yr old girl for presents.

At this point in time I'm not looking to make any presents but any ideas for boughten gifts would help me a lot. We are sending them to Texas and DH tells me at last minute he wants to do this.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:18 PM
Assistant Moderator

dolls, barbies, play make up, dress up clothes to play in, doll clothes
activity sets such as paints, markers, crayons, puzzels

alot of it will depend on what does the child like to do?
are they outdoors kinds or inside movies and tv style

gift certificants are always nice
clothes
hair accessories

the older ones might be a over night bag with wheels

radio of her own

bath stuff such as bubblie baths
sponges to take baths with

jewely

that some ideas and I will leave it open for others to give ideas too.

stuff animals are also nice.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Well I got the 2 yr old a Magna Doodle. We have friends who have 2 yr old and he loves his magna doodle.

Any suggestions for an 8 yr old girl?
Old 12-02-2003, 03:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Thanks for the ideas. DGD already has a lot of the things you listed. I'm trying to find out what 8 yr old girls like in general.

Sorry I wasn't specific enough.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:20 PM
kellyandkids

I am on my 3rd Magna Doodle. Because they love'm. Good car toy and even useful for math problems.

I bought my 7 yr old niece a big box of stickers. She can decorate all sorts of things.

At this age cards games like Uno and the slightly more challenging Duo are good. Next level up is Sequence (ages 8+). Take a look at Timberdoodle.com for more games. You could make a travelling box that includes quality colored pencils (Prisma) and some art color books (author Ruth Heller). Her grammar books are so visually stunning - good idea for next year.

I am always afraid of finding a melted crayon mass in my car.

Hey - found a video in the library about making paper snowflakes by Dr. Snowflake. Excellent and would make an excellent boxed gift - his books - for someone willing to be careful with scissors and paper punches. He has bible story snowflake books also.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:22 PM
kellyandkids

Forgot Klutz kits. See http://www.childsbooks.com/products.htm as they are on sale.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Well, Ill put another spin on things here. My son has been using our computer since he was 2. He now has his own sites--Nick Jr and a game site--that he is allowed to go to. He also has his own picture folder and a Nascar folder on our desktop. He is 7 and can navigate a weather map better than some adults that I know. He also has games- 2 driving games, a miniature golf game and a pool game that he can play. He isnt allowed to use the computer any time he wants just as he isnt allowed to watch tv any time he want to. They are allowed at our discretion.

He is a very bright child. We bought him the Leap Pad to help him teach himself more about reading because I dont think his school is doing enough. I also work with everyday but he uses his Leap Pad as a fun time for him, he doesnt consider it learning even though he is.

The Leap Frog product line has proved very helpful for our family. He took to learning the alphabet at a very early age thanks to their alphabet bus.

Im not against anything that has been previously said....I think that kids today have WAY too many toys. These learning toys happen to be a great help with my son.

I also think that nothing will work without the involvement of their parents and grandparents.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 12-02-2003, 06:55 PM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

gifts for Xmas

I'd seriously reconsider that idea of girl toys and boy toys. I would get them something they can use outside of toys. I saw some real pretty pajamas for little girls. Target has some Strawberry Shortcake jammies that I am picking up for a little girl who's birthday is this weekend.
I am so tired of people thinking my daughter wants barbies and play stuff for the home. Get real folks. My daughter is a well rounded little girl and when I read about people suggesting girl stuff, it turns my stomach. How about something for the brain? Like books, music or maybe some clothing? There are some great educational stuff out there for a 2 year old.
My daughter got a game boy for Xmas. That was unexpected. But you know what she said when asked to choose between girl toys and boy toys? She said she wanted some hotwheel cars. She also has some train toys, books, books on tape and the like. I'd get them a game. Like Sorry, Scrabble or Uno. Good luck with the gift decision. When it comes to girls? Lets get off the pink fluff and fluff the brain. Mine is 6 and still has her eye on Mars.