Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Just for Grandparents Here is a special place for all our proud grandparents to share their stories with us and other grandparents.

Old 11-26-2003, 08:30 AM
kellyandkids

I agree. How about a membership...

My hubby and I discussed the benefits of several pieces of software on one computer as being ultimately more flexible and cheaper than several independent handheld computers each having only one game on them. If you look at it that way...

And then there is the issue of how much screen time do you want your kids to have? Do they really learn something? Are they going to have to wait for the teachers to teach it to everyone else in school anyway? Are they in need of more exercise?

If your family is prone to glasses, start saving now because jr with his nose in a screen will need them too! I read a book on eye development when my first was young. Less reading and not to early, less screen time, breat feed, selenium in their vitamins and more looking into the distance -- the short version. First is now 13 and no glasses in her future! She is a great bird watcher!

Get the grandkids a family membership to the closest pool and community center. Wow!
Old 11-26-2003, 11:38 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

presents

This board is turning interesting. But what you need to realize is this. Children need to learn how to operate a computer now. If they don't? Then by hi school they will be left behind. Mine has great eye site. I started wearing eyewear by age 13 because of my vision, not because of computers. Depending on how close they are to the screen, how much time they spend in front of the television and computer will determine how their vision is. But for the most part? Children watch on average 2 hours or more of television a day. And 42 percent have their own television by age 4. Now thats scary.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:11 AM
kellyandkids

Left behind due to poor vision (a pun)

One example: Native peoples have a tendency to be far sighted. We teach them to read and watch the telly and suddenly half of them need glasses. Kids who read too much to early or watch more than 2 hours day of television will not be changing their focus but training those eye muscles to continually focus within 1-5 feet. To see in the distance requires being able to relax those muscles.

If your child has a genetic tendency toward glasses or you just want to avoid the problem and expense, just be aware of these facts. All my children's cousins now wear glasses. Most started at age 13-14 when the reading levels increased for school and they stopped playing outside so much.

I would much rather have my traveling child looking out the window than focused on the blinking lights in their laps for hours and oblivious to their siblings or surroundings. We should be talking or listening to tapes of music or stories. There are some awesome history tapes and other educational tapes out there. No dvd player in my car; no tv's in their rooms.

A friend took his kid and mine out boating to fish and then loaded up a movie on his laptop for them. Something is wrong with this picture! My daughter and her dad are in the wilds of northern Minnesota with a deck of cards and her adult cousin whips out his laptop with a movie. That is not bonding; that is a long drive to watch a bad movie.

Computers and being left behind: this is an old argument that never held water. Kids are very adaptable and will pick it up when they need it. They don't need it in elementary school. Nor should they be using calculators. And the truth is the technology is changing faster than they can learn it so don't think they won't be relearning it - along with everyone else.

My mother-in-law is 83 and knows more about her computer than I do mine. She didn't start using a computer until she was in her 60's. I didn't see a computer until I was 15; needed one on the job at 21; had no problem adapting every step along the way.

Now proper typing at 5th grade, or when first required to use a computer, is probably a great thing. The sooner you can teach correct finger control the better off they are. There will be no job in the future that doesn't require some data input. But all those jobs will come with software training to match that industries needs.

You wouldn't believe how many typos I corrected to write this. Nor did I use the computer to correct them. And I can play solitaire with a real deck of cards. And my kids know the art of conversation - and each other.

Analogy: Hand sewing the great fleece ideas out there or using the machine? You need to know what you are doing before you can ask a machine to do help you. You need to plan, cut and baste first. You need to know how to write and spell and add and talk to people before you can ask a machine to make those things faster and easier. A machine isnít going to help you if you donít know what question to ask or canít tell it precisely what to do.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Wow. These comments are really food for thought.
Ymca has a good family membership. And many activities. That sounds like a plan.
Because now that I think about it, I've bought many toys that are learning tools, and most, like jns131 said, are just collecting dust. And I think, with all the activities the Y has, the more time the family spends together, I think the gbs will be happier with that.
I do appreciate everyones input. Whether it was for or against.
As for glasses, I think tv and computers, etc., add to the eye problems. I don't think any of those things CAUSE it. I think it's mostly genetic. My dh never had a computer when he was growing up. And I know he didn't watch much tv. He's worn glasses since he was about 15yo. I didn't have a computer growing up, and I wasn't allowed to watch alot of tv. We never even had any of those electronic games. I read alot, and always have. Nothing on tv really interested me when I was growing up. I was more into reading. And I just started wearing glasses about one or two years ago. We've only had a computer for about 3 years now, and my kids did not grow up with one or watch alot of tv either. My ds started wearing glasses when he was 12, and my dd does not wear glasses. Both of my kids are grown, and have babies of their own now.
As for learning computer stuff, as Kellyandkids said, every business that has computers, they will teach you what you need to know. Schools have computers now and they will teach children what they need to know also. The basic stuff. If you need or want to learn more about computers, there are computer courses being taught everywhere. Some kids pick it up real quick and others may take longer. I know my son never had computer class in school, and he never took any classes. But he picked it up real fast, and even built his own computer. I think it all depends on the individual.
Anyway...... enough said.
Again, thank you all for your input. I have made up my mind what I'm getting for my darling gbs.
Sue

Heavenly Forecast: Reign Forever
Old 11-27-2003, 10:57 PM
Assistant Moderator

kellyandkidsgood post
I totally agree with it. kids are not learning to use that brain that GOD gave them, nor or they able to image... the old let's pretend, I am thankful my gd are learnaing this, the oldest one even has a pretend friend and wants santa to come visit this doll of hers. and daughter is concern, I said no, let her play pretend, it will sharpen the mind. she is only 4 yrs old. she ok.
one day I gave her some string and beads that were lg and she was threading those beads to that string, daughter came in and say what is she doing, I told dd she pretending and learning motor skills leave her alone.

suealln
I agree with u on the eyes, and
what are u getting for them?
Old 11-28-2003, 07:08 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

Xmas Gifts

I agree with suealln's post. I am a sub teacher and this one boy gave me a speech on why television is great. He said all I ever need to know I learned from television. I was absolutely stunned. He was in detention serving time for disruption in class. I was helping the principal out because he was making so much noise while she was trying to have a conference with some gents. I was trying to get him to read a book and he started in on me why he didn't need to read this book. I told him books take him eveywhere. Now, I am not trying to start a learn to read speech here, but, face it folks, some children need a book more then they need to watch television. If 42 percent of most children by age 4 have their own television? I am scared to death to think of them main streaming into society by age 18.
The bottom line is this. Computers are great if you have no clue on to use them and some children should know how to use them if they are to get A's in school. Some need to read if they are to get a passing grade in school. But I think the bottom line is that we need to spend family time more so with our children then putting them in front of television or the computer. Mine is a wiz at computers and turns off the television after her 1/2 hour show is over. She swims and ice skates. Has many friends. I wish a lot of children had parents who cared.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Jns131, I agree with you on parents who care. I see too many parents that spend most of their time in front of the tv, and the kids are running rampant, with no supervision, or they are out somewhere that their children aren't. I kept an eagle eye on my kids. If they were outside, I was too. I was always afraid someone would kidnap them. They were not allowed to stay at home alone until my ds was 14. Granted, that's still a young age. But he was very mature for his age, and he never gave me a reason not to trust him alone. And today, we are very close, and talk about just about everything. My dd on the other hand is like her dad. Her way or no way. lol. But that's ok. She knows she can come to me with any problem, or question, or whatever. And she does. But it is a Blessing and a privilege I cherish.
Anyway, enough said on that. Back to What to get for Christmas.
Bar_bar, I'm back to square one. Talked to ds about a membership at the Y and he said it wouldn't be a good idea right now, because nobody has the time to make it worthwhile. And the kids were just too young for any of the activities they offered. So I think I may just get them one of those chalkboard/art easels. One side is a chalkboard, and the other can hold art paper or they can use markers on that side. And a few other toys. I'm not sure. STILL. Oh well. I'll decide eventually. Sometime before Christmas.

Sue

Heavenly Forecast: Reign Forever
Old 11-28-2003, 08:53 PM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

Xmas Presents

If yours is into using art as a form of expressing themselves, then by all means, get them that. DD has one and its out in the garage because she never used it. But once the report card came home? It said she uses art to express herself. I never really realized it until that report came in. So, I am dusting off the art easle and getting some chalk and big sized paper and letting her go to town. Those art easles, Fisher Price, I think, it goes up and down to height with the child. Great idea.
Mine got a gameboy tonight from her great uncle. We are working with her on it, but, for the most part, the adults are more hooked on this thing then she is. We will, as with the computer, dole it out sparingly. Don't need her vegetating in front of it.
We enroll ours in swimming and ice skating. Like everyone else, we just don't have time for the gym or the Y. Life is getting more and more complicated as she gets older. Art Easle is a great idea. Get some good chalk and an eraser and let them go to town. Remember to save the used paper, the back side is great to draw on. I do with ours. If it didn't print right? Its in the scrap bin ready to be used on the other side for crayons and markers.
Old 11-29-2003, 03:45 PM
kellyandkids

Thank you!

Thank you all ! I was afraid I was alone on a soap box here.

But I must tell you what I really invest in. My 5 year old loves to drive his little cars through a cake pan of SALT. I buy the 4# boxes from the warehouse club. So easy to clean up and he doesn't try and lick it off his cars like he was doing with the sugar.

For Christmas, my kids are all getting those magnetic construction toys SuperMagz in bulk and even more Legos. Otherwise we are spending the money at a craft store. And more books.

I can recommend the one computer game they played for months: Zoo Tycoon. Other programs were very briefly played with. They did love a spelling game but only for the arcade action; they still can't spell those words after making it all the way thru Spelling Jungle.

Helpful rule at our home: When friends are over we play with them. No TV or computers are on unless it is a sleepover.

And I screwed 2 entire $7 sheets of white board onto a wall. Scribble away kids. Post your latest creations and leave what is left of the other walls alone. OK that's the idea at least.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:35 PM
Assistant Moderator

of course u could always make up homemade paints, and play dough and stuff like that and do a kid's basket, with paper and pen, markers along with some of the homemade stuff, I used to have one that was for how to make u own chalk, if anyone is interested I will look thru my craft cd's and see if I can find it but no promises I can. for I lost some of my stuff somehow when I was downloding once. made me mad at myself but I was learning. lol and hi price to pay for learning.

art, blocks are always good for kids to use thier imageation, useing motor skills, the brain, along having fun.

you can take a big box and let kids have fun of course this is not a christmas gift. LOL