Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Just for Grandparents Here is a special place for all our proud grandparents to share their stories with us and other grandparents.

Old 11-19-2003, 07:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Great idea with the fleece gifts! My mother bought a yard of fleece material with Jeff Gordon and his #24 car on it for my son for his birthday. He absolutely loves it!! She was looking for a relatively cheaper gift to go along with the other stuff she had to give him when I suggested this to her. The great thing is that you can cut it right off of the bolt and it doesnt have to be sewn if you are sewing impared like I am. My mom being herself wanted to sew the edged but I talked her into saving time to just give it to him. He loves it and it matches his room too.

Im thinking of one for my DD for Christmas. She was given a baby sized blanket when she was born and it seems to be her favorite.

You cant go wrong with those if they like blankets!

The puzzle idea sounds so cool. I know that my son would love to do that as a project here at home.

Another idea that Im am going to start this year is a handprint tablecloth for Christmas. Im going to purchase a white tablecloth and have my kids print their handprints on them, then Ill print their names and the date. I want to make this a holiday tradition for us.

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 11-22-2003, 12:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

AJRSMOM, I'm doing that too. My mom is already working on it. It's gonna be patchwork. I told her to make eighteen squares down, four across, so each gb will have their own squares, and also so they would have one for each year. Up to the age of 18. They'll put their handprint on it, and then sign something on it. Even if it's a scribble. Then I'm gonna liquid embroider it.
I'm also having her make another one for me. This one will be one solid color, and it will be for EVERYONE that comes over; family, friends, etc., and they will sign their names, the date, and put a line or two on, whatever they want to write on it. And I'll liquid embroider that too. Or maybe if I get real ambitious, I'll sew it in. LOVE THAT IDEA.
Sue

Heavenly Forecast: Reign Forever
Old 11-22-2003, 02:48 PM
Assistant Moderator

suealln
welcome, glad I saw this to help out there
Quote:
liquid embroider it.
I didn't know they still have those out there, can't think of the name but did something like that way back in the mid 70's if it the same thing. so would you mind telling me what this is called to see if it the same thing and if so where is a dealer?

the tablecloth is a very neat idea.

well fixing to be leaving to go to Santa's Helpers and to see my gbabies, and I will be swarm with the girls, for the oldest one when she is with me thinks she got to be glued to me. LOL.

we have a very close bond but hey I did watch her being born front row seat.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:23 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My son has a Leap Pad--the my First Leap Pad or something like that. He LOVES it. We are thinking about buying my daughter the infant leap pad. We can't decide between that or the Learning Table>
Expecting Kelsey Marie 2/14/03
Old 11-24-2003, 03:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

little touch leap pad

hi, i wanted to add my thoughts and experience with leap pads... i bought my 3 yr old the my first leap pad for his birthday and he loves it! i've read reviews saying that they don't hold up well, so i'm a little worried that it'll get broken, but anyway... the reason i felt inclined to post was because i also bought the little touch leap pad for my 1 year old's bday, and i was very disappointed! the pages are flimsy!!! not like the my first leap pad books!! my son would grab the pages of the book and wrinkle them up and he could pull the entire book right off of the leap pad!! he figured that out right away! i took it back to toys r us, and at first they weren't going to let me return it!!!! they eventually said that would take it back as defective, eventhough i'm sure that's how they all are! i ended up buying him the fisher price smart screen table, hopefully this one will work out well! i'm also hoping that the my first leap pad will work long enough for my now one year old when he's older!!

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!

Old 11-24-2003, 03:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Leap Pad

We have the Leap Pad and the kids love it. We add to it every year. The Quantium books can be played on the Leap Pad. (that's what the packaging said). And I am getting ds one of those books.

Makes it great for long car rides.

Leigh Ann
Old 11-25-2003, 01:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We bought the Quantam Leap pad last year as it said it would play all the books. DS, 10 and DD, 6 both use it. We have books from Level 1 up to the Quantam books and they do fine on it. The cartridges can get away if not kept in a storage place. I tried to keep mine attached to the books but as their collection grew they would come off or the kids would not put them back on. I now keep them in a backpack along with the pad. Works well and can just grab it up for car trips.

Also this week Target has the books on sale for 9.77. I picked up two more so will have to check out the Leapfrog site and see if I can get that free one!

Great idea on fleece. My MIL just bought my DD a scarf and hat made out of the fleece at a craft show. It would be so easy to make, especially the scarf. It was a straight cut and then pinking shears to make the fringe. The hat was 4 triangles with 4 small stripes sewn in the top for a pompom type effected, then a straight strip sewn around the bottom and rolled up then hem sewn in. Hope this explained it okay.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 11-25-2003, 02:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thank you for all the information. I am really appreciative that others have it and have given me their experiences, and suggestions, about it. Thank you so much!!!!
I will be getting the leap frog books for my gd, since her aunt is buying her the system, and the books and the pad for my gs.

Heavenly Forecast: Reign Forever
Old 11-25-2003, 02:24 PM
kellyandkids

Tried and true toy ideas...

I used to take my kids to other church nurseries and see what they really played with. Slow way to figure out what to get them that will have lasting play value.

I now use the Oppenheimer Toy Portfolio. Wish I had discovered it earlier. At your library probably. They rate the classics and test the new. Get the kids blocks and other things that really challenge them to be creative. I really haven't looked at leap pads but I am afraid they might be electronic worksheets? But if their moms approve of electronic toys. I managed to avoid batteries for several years.

This year Supermagz. Type that into ebay and see what come up.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:47 PM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

Leap Pad and Frog

I am telling everyone here and now, don't bother. They will get bored with it so fast it isn't funny. Mine wanted one. So we got one. Now its collecting dust. We just hooked up her computer with some early leaning and jumpstart programs and wammo, more fun then a leap pad. So sorry I shelled out the bucks for these worthless things. I say they are good for a child whose parents can't afford a good 2nd hand computer. Trust me, a computer is more long term then what you are planning on getting. I gave ours to her and it works better then the new one. Go figure. Good luck.