Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Just for Grandparents Here is a special place for all our proud grandparents to share their stories with us and other grandparents.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-17-2002, 08:52 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

grandparents raising grandchildren

I was just wondering if there is anyone else out there raising their grandchild/ren? We have been put in the position of taking our 3 yr. old grandchild in and seeking custody of him. Our youngest daughter will be a senior this year and we were looking forward to the retirement years--now we will be starting all over again. Please let me know if there are others out there who have done this and how has it worked out for you? There is no regular forum on this site that addresses this question. Thanks for listening.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Not sure if you come to this thread any more or not, As I know it a old one, but I just wanted to let you know I'm now raising my 2 granddaughters ages 5, 4 and for how long I havn't a clue....

Taking it one day at a time...

Also have wonder how things were going for you?
Old 02-17-2005, 10:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Im not exactly sure how the saying goes but its something like
"but for the grace of god there go I"
I have 2 GD's and I thank god my dd is a Great mom, but I could very well have been in the same situation and I totally applaud you all that are doing this because I know even when I have them for a day or two Im totally exhausted after they leave.I know you do what you gotta do and I would never want anyone else raising them other than me if I were in the situation,but I can just imagine how tough that can be. Bar bar Ive said it before and to you too grandmann if you should read this they are so lucky to have wonderful GP's who step up to the plate.
God Bless you ,you are special people.
Hugs Sandie
Old 02-17-2005, 01:07 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Sandie thank you.

Yes I love my granddaughters, one of them is very easy to take care, the other one is a changelled due to having so much angry in her.
about a year ago, I had a dream of me workng with kids, I talked this over with my pastor as I felt GOD was calling me to work with a children ministry... I feel very sure what HE was doing was preparing me to be there for my gd's.

I'm thankful I was able to watch them being born... and that GOD is giving me the strength to do so.. for with everything else going on... some days are very changelling....no matter how simple it is to watch them. LOL

I am finding out more grandparents are raising thier gkids in these days than ever before...

I think there should be a support group for grandparents that are raising thier gkids.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:03 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thank-you bar_bar for responding. I have also discovered that there are a lot of grandparents raising their grandchildren, more than I realized. My grandson is doing ok for now. He is in kindergarten and having some anger issues, but he has settled in and realizes this is his home. My daughter was a good mother,and she would have been so proud of him had she lived. I have many friends who say what wonderful people we are to raise him, I just say he is family and there is no other choice. good luck to you also. I guess having grandchildren around will forever keep us young!!
Old 02-18-2005, 05:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Sorry for the loss of your daughter,grandmann. I noticed you dont post much on FC ,you will find a great bunch of ladies here with just about every kind of support you need,and alot of fun too. Jump right in and join us, we have an Introduce Yourself here thread also.
Hugs Sandie
Old 02-18-2005, 03:07 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

ann
I'm sorry that you lost your daughter. Do you still see your son in law? How long have you been taking care of your gson?

For myself, my oldest granddaughter wanted to come live with me, and one thing lead to another... On New Year Eve she was informed she could come live with me, after her mother made her feel guilty in waning to live with me.

Of course I informed my daughter on a one to one, what she is doing in making her feel guilty was wrong....along with other things. LOL

Then on Jan 18th, my d went to jail and I got the youngest gd...
the mother is out of jail, but the girls thinks she still in... as she is not stable nor on her feet. Not sure when she be able to get herself stable... so for now both girls are with me..

I know if the youngest gd sees her mom, she is going to want to go to her mom, and knowing she can't I feel will crush her, therefore I'm not allowng them to see her... In due time, maybe.

I'm thankful she is listening to me for once and thinking of the girls and not focing my hand in seeing them....

the oldest one is in Kinger. and the other one will be in Kindger next year....

I also agree with Sandie, there are many wonderful threads here at FC... the introducing thread can be found at:
located at:
http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...7&goto=newpost

We have another great thread that is called the friendshop flower
http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...7&goto=newpost
this month it is honor one of our members that has passed on that was a wonderful dear person. ( Breezy)

There is the religious one that also have prayer chain... and there is also a joy and conern thread that you can post prayers too.

Please know that you need someone to vent, or talk, pm me.

Since we both have a grandchild of the same age, it be nice to get to know you.... maybe we can compare notes. LOL

anyways thanks for dropping back by....and it nice to know that you are still with FC..

Where do you post the most, if you do, or you may be one of those that reads. as I know we have many ladies that does that, which is fine..

GOD bless... and hope to see you more often, and get to know y0ou...
Old 06-14-2005, 11:29 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

New parents all over again

My name is Marshall, and my wife Beth and I have joined the group because we have recently found ourselves in the position of being the primary caregivers to our young grandchildren, ages 3 and 5.
The children’s mother, our daughter Tricia, swears this arrangement is temporary until she can recover from certain illness and get herself in a more stable place. The children’s father is not a major factor in their lives and I wouldn’t count on him to offer any more support now. In the meantime, Tricia wants us to give the kids a calm and loving environment. We have no problem doing this, but you know how it is with nursery school-age kids. All their toys are underfoot, I find crumbs in the most unbelievable places. We love our grandkids, but I’m going to bed more exhausted than I was when I was working full-time and raising my own children. And I am only 54! Who knew how much age would make a difference with raising and cleaning up after preschoolers?
Old 06-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Welcome to Family Corner!!

We have some Grandparents here who are in your same situation.

I can relate to constantly picking up and cleaning up after little ones. My DD is 2 and my DS is 7 --but sometimes he makes more messes than she does!

I've been trying to keep mine busy outside as much as possible. We have a small pool and a sprinkler that has been a blessing in this hot weather.

We blow bubbles, they ride thier bikes--my DD is learing to ride her little "Big Wheel". Sidewalk chalk is another fun thing for outside.

You have found a wonderful place to not only look for ideas to keep them busy BUT ALSO to vent when you get frustrated. Im sure you will make friends quickly here!

If I can ever be of any help, just give me a yell.

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by sheltonm001
My name is Marshall, and my wife Beth and I have joined the group because we have recently found ourselves in the position of being the primary caregivers to our young grandchildren, ages 3 and 5.
Welcome to Family Corner Beth & Marshall!!

First, let me say that I merged your post over here with a thread already started on the same subject.

I can not imagine what y'all are going through. I am only 44 yrs old and can not imagine having small children to care for 24/7. I have three children. My oldest is 21, the middle child is 13 and my youngest will be 11 in a week or so. They keep me busy enough!

One thing you did not mention in your post - do y'all have a schedule for the grandchildren or do you basically wake up each day and wing it?? When my children, especially my two boys, were that age, it was easier when we had a schedule. Naps at the same time, meals at the same time, etc..... (whenever possible) I would think that since your grandchildren's world has basically been turned upside down, the more structure you all have, the easier it will be on everyone!

And about crumbs in strange places, that's a good point for making a rule that snacks and meals must only be eaten at the table. That's what I did to prevent having to vacuum up crumbs in different rooms 2-3 time a day!!

One last point - have you all considered sending the children to a sort of "Mother's Day Out" program once (or twice) a week to give yourselves time alone or to do whatever hobbies you all enjoy?

You have come to the right place for support!! This place is like one big family and the best place that I know of to find unconditional support!

Now that I have merged your post over here, I am sure the other grandparents will be popping by to give hugs & support!!

We're all here for you!!!