Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Just for Grandparents Here is a special place for all our proud grandparents to share their stories with us and other grandparents.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:21 PM
Assistant Moderator

sheltonm001 more grandparents... wow....
Welcome

Marshall you might find a few men posting on a few threads from time to time. Don't run just because there are lots of women here.
LOL

You and Beth will find we also have lots of grandparents. I'm one of them.

Are your gkids boys or girls, or one of each?

Reading your post, boy, can I relate in so many ways.
You see I've just sent home my 2 gd's ages 6, and 5... they stayed with us for 6 months. I love them to death, but boy it was a long 6 months. I even miss them but it sure is good to have a break from them too.
One gd came to us in the end of Dec. and by Jan 17th I had both of them. At the time their ages were 5 and 4.

Life did a 180 degree turn when they came.. I was blessed by their presences, but I went to bed every night so tired.
Sat mornings I'm used to sleep late, not with these girls.
Morning started at 5:45 during school days and on Sat it started about 7:30.... sound familar? LOL If not, it may.

They went back to their mom on May 25th. Since that time I've been asked several times to watch them, and have twice already.

You sort of have to throw grandparenting out the door, and roll up the sleeves to be mom and dad.
Think back on when you raise your kids and take it from there, gaining strength where you messed up the first time around, and remember the parts you did good in, Praise the LORD for you will draw more strength from that.

Surprizing more and more gparents are rasing their gkids. According to AARP over 4.5 million in the US. grandparents are raising thier gkids. I'm in the 2nd largest state with Gparents rearing their gkids.

What happen to kids raising their own? So, join the group! But boy it sure doesn't make it any easier, but it is comforting to know you not by yourself .

In fact, anytime you need to talk, or your wife know that FC has one of the biggest support groups there is and the thing about FC.... these folks do care..

I know they sure did listen to me when I needed them, and helped in prayers, support, etc. and I'm thankful.

Tell your little wife to pop in at FC anytime she wants to.

So many things that Abear mention are very good points.

Again remember to Take one day at a time, giving awards for the good behavior, time out when they are not.

Also, if you haven't, you will find many times you not sure what to say or do when they start crying and missing their mom, or asking questions you not sure how to answer...

You may find times when you get angry because of it, I know I sure did.

Any help I can give please ask...

Once again Welcome to Family Corner you'll be glad you found this group...

Sending the best to you as you travel this journey with your grandkids.. it can be rewarding, but alot of heartaches too.

GOD BLESS
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2005, 02:49 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Re: New parents all over again

Hey sheltonm001,

What you are doing really should be Tricia’s responsibility. How temporary a situation does she have in mind? Has she given you some kind of timeline or plan as to how she plans on “getting herself in a more stable place?” I can certainly empathize about children who abuse your status as a doting grandparent for selfish reasons. With that said, I share your shock about the mess every time my grandkids – all of them boys – spend time at our house. I’ve never been a finicky, plastic on all furniture kind of grandpa, but I could never remember letting the kids cause hurricanes through the house the way I allow my grandsons. But memory can be selective. My daughter’s family gave us a Roomba last Christmas, which has helped considerably, but I have the feeling she got it knowing how much babysitting she planned for us
Old 06-15-2005, 05:02 PM
Assistant Moderator

Welcome farrellalex to F.C... glad you are posting

It good to see some men once in a while that will take a active role as well here... as well taking a active role with thier grandkids.
I know My husband does when his health feels up to it but he gives me lots of support and big shoulders to hug and cry on when I need it when I'm at my end wits with the grandbabies.

Would like to invite you and sheltonm001,over to the Introduce Yourself Here - 3 found at:

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...348#post262348

also would like to find out what is a Roomba?

Not sure about you all, but I know the other grandparents in this family doesn't step up to the plate to help with the grandkids like I do..
Of course the granddaughters are closer to us than they are to them too.

Yet I feel if we don't step in to help the grandbabies then who will and we know we will receive many rewards for it too.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:36 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Bar,

The Roomba is a self-propelled robot vacuum cleaner, and we can’t ever go back to using a handheld model now that we know it exists. The DD got it for us so neither my wife nor I would strain our backs or joints having to push around a vacuum cleaner.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:05 PM
Assistant Moderator

are they expensive?
how big of a room do they do?
I've seen some ads on that kind of vacum, but didn't think they would be that good.
thanks for the tip

How do they actual work?
Old 06-16-2005, 05:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My sister got a roomba for Christmas from her MIL--she knows that my sister works a lot of overtime and was trying to help her have more time for R & R. Unfortunately, their boxer was so deathly afraid of it, they can't use it!! (their boxer is also deathly afraid of mice! LOL)

Here's a couple of links about roombas:

http://www.roombareview.com/buy/

http://www.homefurnituredecor.com/roomba.shtml

Also, here's link to the roomba's "sister" the Scooba Robotic Floor Washer!

http://www.irobot.com/consumer/scooba_sneak_preview.cfm
Old 06-25-2005, 07:22 PM
Nine Year Member

Well, I'll definitely have to check out the Roomba for my parents house. They both have heart conditions and my mom is having a harder and harder time trying to keep the carpet vacuumed-not that it really gets dirty with just the two of them in the house mostly.

I'm not the typical grandmother taking care of her grandkids-my dd#1 and her family are living with us until we can all afford to live without the other. Although my dd and family moved in almost 3 years ago (for the second time) when my youngest dgd was born 3 months early. Someone needed to be around at all times to help my dd.

I do help parent the girls-9 and 2, but try to stay out of the way mostly and let their parents discipline (doesn't always work though). My dd has gotten into the habit of saying that she's just a bad mom when I don't agree with something she's done or said; so I really try to keep my mouth shut now!!

Welcome to Alex, Beth and Marshall-it's nice to see some men on the board occasionally.

Well, I really have to get off this computer and get to bed-4am comes awful early, especially when it's already 10:30pm.
Take care all,
Old 05-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Assistant Moderator

do we have anyone else that wants to talk about raising thier gchildren?
I know I'm back raising them, and it hard to break that habit of not feeling like a mom to them when you do, Yet you know you are just the grandparent.
it hard to say no to your child when there nothing you can d to not allow the gkids to go with them.

Often when cps steps in they give you so much pain and trouble, yet other times you wish they do. there is no answer to this mess of raising our gkids...

it breaks our heart that our child is missing out on so much, yet we want to protect our gchild. What and which way should one go?
There is not right or wrong answers we just step out and do what is necessary for the child.

I know there are so many gparents raising gkids, so if you are go ahead and speak up you may be able to shed some light to help another gparent.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Grandparents Raising Our Grandchildren

I raised my Gd and my Gs from the time thay were 6 and 8 thay are now 30 and 32 and think of me as mom and I keep trying to tell them that thay do have a mom, It was hard but thay are realy good kids One lives about 5 hours away and is married and has 2 kids the other lives about 5 miles and is widdowed and has 1 Son that I try to help him with when We can. But you have to take one day at a time and you need to find a way for some Quiet time for your self too. Good luck and God bless LOL Bunny

Old 08-17-2007, 02:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Location: I live in the foothills of Maine and near a major river. The area is quiet but we can be in a large city that has everything that you would want to visit. WE're two hours from Old Orchard Beach and it is so beautiful
yes, we're grandparents to our 13 year old granddaughter. She is a pleasure to have around. she's not fussy about what she eats and has no problem with yard sale clothes. She thinks its fun to shop yard sales for clothes cause she can get more and often times there name brands for a dollar or two. I think we are so lucky to be bring up this precious girl. It's our 2nd chance for being parents for a while.