Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Just for Grandparents Here is a special place for all our proud grandparents to share their stories with us and other grandparents.

Old 07-19-2005, 04:36 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Question Things You Do With Your Grandchildren

Whare are some of the things you do with your grandchildren when they are over at the house?

for myself we have play games, play in the water, color, jigsaw, computer things that they enjoy doing.

we have gone to the library for the kid program, gone for snow cones or ice cream,

chores together

gone shopping with the oldest one, but have done it with the youngest one to, but prefer not to

slumber parties, play with dolls, hair salon, make crafts,

these are just some things,

like to hear from you too.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Im not a Grandma but I can tell you some of the things that my son did with my Mom when we lived in Pa. real close to her.

He would spend the night with her in her apt. and they would play cards, read together and color. They would go outside and play ball too. He also loved to talk to the other ladies in her building.

At Christmastime last year, he invited himself to their Christmas party to sing songs to them! He sang the songs from his Christmas concert. They just loved it!!!

Now that we dont live in the same state, he calls her every day--at least once a day. They talk about everything under the sun during the week and then at the end of the week they talk about NASCAR. My Mom has become a Jeff Gordon fan because of my son, lol!!

She is moving at the end of this month or beginning of Aug. and I wanted so badly to go home to help her and also so she could see my kids. Due to some unforseen bills, I dont think that we are going to be able to go. Maybe if there's a will, there's a way, right?

Grandma's are SPECIAL people!!!

Bar_bar, I hope you know that you are making wonderful memories for your GDs!! The kind of memories that make you smile when youre older and you tell stories to your friends about growing up with Grandma and all of the fun things that you used to do together.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-22-2005, 01:01 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I am so glad you asked Bar_bar! I LOVE talking about my DGD. My DGD is a newborn and there isn't much I can do with him except change his diapers, feed him, and rock him. My DGD will by 2 on August 18th. When she comes to visit we play! We watch Dora and other cool shows on the noggin channel. I like to color with her. I give her stickers to play with and I allow her to stick them all over herself! I personally believe that schedules and rituals are important to children. Some of them include chocolate and strawberry milk. Her Papa has to have a bowl of icecream before retiring every night. He shares with her. We are HUGE animal lovers, so we take her to see the thouroughbred race horses that are down the street from us, we take her to the river to feed the ducks, and we take her to see the other animals around town, which include turkey, geese, chickens, lamb, goats, and the like. We've also taken her to Carlsbad Caverns and when she and the DGS are older, we plan to take them to Roswell to see the Aliens! Papa takes her swimming every summer. On every trip, we blow bubbles outside together. Papa has a garden and she likes to pick his strawberries and cherry tomatoes and eat them right off the plants. I have been trying to teach her to cook because my DD was never as interested as I was. (I started cooking when I was 2, without my parnets' permission. My mother would let me cook when I was 2, so I waited until they were unconscious. Biy did I make a mess! LOL) Finally, and this is the part that Trainlady will enjoy, my DGD is a choo-choo train fanatic! So, we take her to see the choo-choo trains when they come through. The older she gets, the more fun she is!

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 07-23-2005, 09:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I have ten grandchildren and two on the way.
Today I got in the pool with my 4Ĺ yr. old grandson. He has learned to swim in the past two weeks-so exciting. We had the pool to ourselves, which doesn't happen too often.
My grandchildren all love to have tea parties and we always read a chapter in a book that I have for them. Last summer we read a book on good manners. Of course we make cookies or muffins for our party beforehand.
My grandchildren all love to go to breakfast with me at Cracker Barrel.
Some of them are old enough to send me emails and most of them call me on my cellphone. Good thing, I have plenty of minutes on my plan. I have taken every one of them to their first movie. They all did so well and their mom's did not think they were ready to sit still. I have taken several of them on trips to historical places or to visit relatives in other states and I also have taken several of them on their first plane rides.
My life is made happy by my six daughters and all the grandkids.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:47 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Grandma Time with Grandkids

I love the time I spend with my Grandangels (Seth 5, Stormy 2). When they come visit for the day, or overnight, we do a variety of things together. We love having picnics -- whether it's at the park, in Grandma's yard, or in the middle of the living room floor! Their favorite things to do are "creating" -- both in the kitchen and with crafting supplies. Sometimes our kitchen creations are nothing more than spreading ready-made frosting on cookies -- but they enjoy "cooking" with me. Their special creations are things that have to be baked. They really love seeing the results of their labors.

For our crafts, sometimes we do a "planned" project -- but their favorite is to get into Grandma's box of varied crafting supplies. It includes all sorts of things -- stickers, sequins, different sizes and colors of papers, different types of scissors, glue, crayons, markers, buttons, bits and pieces of trim and fabric left over from sewing projects. I think you get the idea. Last weekend Seth got a styrofoam cup and plastic fork out of the "picnic" box -- and made a "picture holder" for me by sticking the fork into the bottom of an upside down cup -- then decorating. Kids can be very creative when you just give them loose reins.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Well , Ian (age 3) is here everyday and we do lots of stuff! Yesterday we pounded steak!LOL He loved it,but not at first.LOL He was sure he would get into trouble for hitting it hard.LOL He enjoyed himself and I figured it used up some of that abundunt energy.LOL Last week he helped me knead bread dough...he thought that was funny! Again he loved it after he got going. Probably thinks grandma beats a lot of stuff!LOL
One major thing we like to do is paint. I bought a partial roll of newspaper paper for 3 bucks. It lasts for a very long time. I have framed watercolors from two of the 5 grandkids hanging on my wall in my den.
Ian loves it if grandma wears his construction hat and yells with him as he drives his pedal bike around the our huge kitchen! This is easy attention and makes him happy.
Of course we do the normal things also like story time and movies. Also he likes me to swing him on the gym set. Walk and work on things,pull weeds,get pap-pap's tools and work on the car tire?LOL AND of course TALK!!!LOL
Something I done with all the grand kids that I am looking forward to doing with Ian is the drive in. We still have three of them in this area. Alos I like to do story time when they are old enough to make up stories. We have a story wheel I got years ago. It has three wheels hooked together, each one smaller than the last. Around each wheel is stuff;phone, car, feather,spaceship, dress,mom, dad, kids, alien, fish,ball bat, castle,ocean,island,train, plane and tons of things. An arrow is in the middle and you turn the wheels and select three items. One from each wheel to use in your section of story. Then you pass it to the next person and they select three items and add to the story. All the bigger kids loved this game .

Well bye for now...
Old 07-28-2005, 06:51 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks to all that shared

this week the gd's has made some crafts, we read, play in the yard.. of course they love to play beauty parlor, they also helped with chores, and baking.

the oldest one loves to go next door to play with the little girl and go swimming with her.

all of these answers were great.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:10 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

This past week, we went to the mountains with our DGD and DGS. We got to show the DGD a garter snake, squirrels,and hummingbirds for the first time. Yesterday we took her to White Sands so that she could roll in the sand. DGS is a newborn so we really couldn't do much but talk to him or sing to him.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 08-04-2005, 11:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Cooking and telling old stories about your childhood, go to a local bookstore and buy a book for you to put your history in for your grandchildren, and then tell them the stories (one at each visit). These will creat lasting memories. My grandma always took me to see other relatives (sometimes I did not want to go see them) but I am so grateful now because I am the only one of my generation who remembers/knows any of our dearly departed relatives, I enjoyed spending time and cooking the most though.

Deidra
Old 08-04-2005, 01:19 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Deidra
It nice to met you... I see you are fairly new to FC... if I can help you in any way please let me know.
we got alot of neat sites here at FC along with clubs to join which with having 75 posts you can belong to them.

telling old stories about your childhood
it hard for mine to realize I was a little girl, of course they are only 5,and 6... but I do tell them things of the past and of thier mom when she was little..
the oldest one likes to hear these stories too.
I still have books from when thier mom was little, and when thier uncle was little and I will read from those bks from time to time...
I also love to make up stories to tell them.. One I've made up is about the little boy who won a prize to go to the bubble factory and all the stuff that happens.. The girls will just giggle about that...
it one I made up when thier mom and uncle was little

I also like to print things off of the computer for the gd's to do..