Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Just for Grandparents Here is a special place for all our proud grandparents to share their stories with us and other grandparents.

Old 09-13-2004, 04:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

long distance grandparents

I am glad to hear from you. Sorry about your daughter, that must be very difficult not hearing from her.
My kids move will be Sept 30, getting very close.
They have been traveling up to Buffalo & stayin gin hotels so my grandaughter doesn't miss Pre School. She will be taking Spanish lessons there also.
I am trying to stay positive and be excited fo them. We have made plans to visit the weekend after the move. I also just bought a digital camera so I can send pictures of us and what we are doing.
I will keep you in my thoughts, hang on
Old 11-19-2004, 02:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Update

Well here we are two months after the big move for my daughter, son-in-law and two grandkids. Everything seems to be going OK my grandaughter has her moments where she want to move back where Mema lives (that's me). However she is attending a wonderful Pre-School and enjoys it there.
We have made one trip to see them in Niagara Falls, NY and they are coming to see us this weekend, TODAY. I can hardly wait
Since the move I started working as a Pre-School Teacher part time and love it. I now have 20 adopted Grandkids.
That has made it easier for me to adjust to the move. Now we just have to get through the holidays and see how we all adjust to that. They are planning on visiting us, but living where they do (outside of Buffalo, NY snow capital of the world!!!) everything depends on the weather.
Just thought I would check in here, I see no one has been posting on this but maybe someone will read this note.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:39 PM
Assistant Moderator

This is good you are working with pre K... did you know that there is a thread for pk and day care center that you might get some ideas.

Glad you going to be able to see yoru grandkids...

It strange, as I'm also a sub teacher and loving it too, and suppose to been able to see my gkids today but it didn't work out but still hoping they come up this weekend where I can watch the babies for awhile.

I know the oldest one wants some time with me and when she does come to see me about every 2 wks which is so different from seeing them almost daily, the oldest one will start crying for she doesn't want to leave Nana, which is me.

The other day they were up and the oldest one was showing me how she could print letters and she wrote the name Nana,
she was not aware that if you combine the letters of N a N a together you would have Nana... and I showed her the way she could spell it that way or she could spell it with Nan - Nan, well she deciedd that she like the name Na na better. it was cute.

I do check this thread. so keep me posted on yours...
Old 10-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am finally back online

It has been so long since I last posted I can't even remember the date. I was having trouble signing back in & just now got all that fixed.
My grandkids have grown, the grandaughter is 6 (will be 7 in December) and the grandson is now 3.
The kids are doing well and my daughter feels comfortable enought that she has started teaching (just as a Sub for now).
This will be the first Christmas that they will not be with us on Christmas morning. They have decided to stay in New York since this may be the last year my grandaughter "believes". They hope to travel here to Ohio later Christmas day or the next day.
I understand, but it will be the quieteset Christmas Eve and morning we have ever spent. I just hope the New York weather cooperates so they can get here.
Just wanted to catch up with everyone. Go Buckeyes
Old 10-30-2006, 09:30 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

3 of our grandchildren live far away from us.My daughter's 2 children live 1,200 miles from us and my son's oldest son lives 1,100 miles from us.We do get to talk to them on the phone several times a week,but its just not the same as being there with them.My oldest granddaughter,Baleigh calls me "Far-away Grandma",kind of makes me sad that is what I am to her.But I know I will see them again in the summer,and they change so much from day to day,week to week,month to month and year to year,feel like I am missing out on so much.
Thinking of you bar_bar and your granddaughter.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I get to see my son's two children, now ages 9 and 12 twice a year. That's when he gets a month's visitation with them, at Christmas time and in the summer. He brings them to our town for 2 weeks, and they all stay at my daughter's house who has lots of room for them to stay...and they have 2 cousins to interact with. Since kids like to play with kids naturally...I don't feel I get the chance to get to know my son's children. My EX DIL lives in faraway Arizona with the two kids, my son lives in OKlahoma,....my daughter and family and I live in Illinois. My Ex DIL keeps her phone on an answering machine and filters all calls. I do not call as I know she will not have the kids call me back. Sometime ago even my son didn't get calls from his kids as she did not allow it. This woman is a mean spiteful woman. They were married 12 years...and then she decided she didn't want to be married anymore and wanted to do her own thing. She tricked my good son in getting full custody of their 2 kids. He waited on her hand and foot most of their 12 married years. She stated she was not well. That changed after she got a divorce...but yet I know she is a very unhappy woman.....and she lives in the hottest town in Arizona state.

I don't know why she is the way she is...we all treated her with love and respect (especially when she said she was not feeling well) all the years she was married to my son.
Her parents and twin sister were not happy she filed for divorce.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:04 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Just stumbled across this thread and it has been here forever...or so it seems...
Like most of you I don't have any gkids nearby..one gds lives about 2 l/2 hrs from me but my dil never had him call or come ..he was 8 when my DS passed..now 20 and
wants to visit..am looking forward to seeing and getting to know him..my dil did keep in touch through cards and about 1 letter a yr..so do know what goes on in their lives..my oldest dgs now lives in NH and I talk with them and their 3 yr old often..my DD1's DD lives in NY state and talk with her almost daily and with her three kids..my DD2 lives in NJ and talk with her and her kids daily...Thank the Lord for phones..
This is odd ..as I was typing my phone rang and it was my ggdd who is 3.wanting to talk with me..and she said...Grandma, Grandma Holly (my DD1) died..and I told her that I knew and that GMHolly was with the angels and some day we would all get to see her again..(what do you say to a little girl who will be 4 in a few months and still misses her GM.) Holly passed on 8/12/04...but as young as Teresa was she still remembers her)..when Steph came on she said that Helena (8) also has been speaking about her a lot lately..
guess the point is that distance won't make a difference and if you keep in touch you will always be a part of their lives.
sometimes when the ggkids call and I am not sure if it is Teresa or Jonathan (4) I will playfully say..."who is this"..and Teresa says "This is Teresa" and Jonathan says "Grandma, you know me"..so I then know which it is...he is cute...
Have a great day and enjoy each one as it comes...

Last edited by jrztomato; 05-06-2007 at 06:06 AM.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:12 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Okay, I was going to get on my soapbox but I won't.

Is there is a possibility that you could call your ex DIL and leave her a message and inquire if you could have a phone schedule to talk to the children? You may have some grandparents' rights. If you do, you need proof that she isn't returning your calls or record her answers to you. But, if she is willing to work with you, you could arrange to call and talk to your GKs on the weeks.

I live a 6 hour drive away from my GKs. I do have a good relationship with my DD though. During school I cannot visit the children, but I do some bonding with the kids over the telephone between visits.

You may have to talk to a lawyer to see what rights you have as a grandparent.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:39 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

I agree with DeBora...try to set up a schedule for the days you can call your grandchildren...

My grandchildren live 1,200 miles from us and we only get to see them once a year...but we make the most of the time we do get together...we usually make the trip to see them but with health problems we won't be making the trip this year...this year they are making the trip up here...

In Canada a grandparent has the right to fight for visitation with their grandchildren...I don't know about in the United States but here we do have that right...

Good luck to you and I hope you get to talk to your grandkids...hugs