Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Introduce Yourself New to our community? Stop in and introduce yourself!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.25 average.
Old 05-14-2002, 05:14 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Welcome Queenbee. I had a boy just a couple years younger than me as a neighbor when I was growing up. When he was grown and got a puppy, he named her Lisa, after me LOLOL. It was sweet though. I hadn't seen him in years. I only knew about it because his mom told my mom.

I'm sure you'll make many friends here. Sweet, sweet people.
Old 05-14-2002, 06:30 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

HELLO!

Good Morning everyone! I have been lurking here for about a month and decided to join today!
I am a recent SAHM, having left my job as an RN in January. I am 32, have 3 kids and am married. My oldest daughter is 15 and has spina bifida and my youngest son is 5 and has autism. They both got a bit worse with their condition and my beautiful 7 year old son was becoming lost in the chaos! And so without planning or looking back... I quit! I have always wanted to be a SAHM, but felt we could never afford it, especially since my income was significantly more than my husband's!
And that is where you all come in! I have learned so much in the last few months about being frugal and simple living. I've started a garden (from seed of course!), cut my groceries by at least 60%, and best of all, ALL my kids are doing better and love having mom home!
I do find that I'm lonely I never realized that my friendships, except for one, were all related to my work. And so I am hoping I can get help with that here too!;-)
Old 05-14-2002, 07:45 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thank You For The Welcome

thank you for the welcome this looks like a nice bunch of peolpe hope you all have agreat day TO DAY MY SON AND I ARE GOING TO PLANT YOUR SUNFLOWERS
Old 05-14-2002, 07:46 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Welcome Capaky! Glad you decided to join us. I think that loneliness is probably the thing that I struggle with the most about being a stay at home. When my kids were all small, I had a few friends who also stayed at home but as the years wore on one by one they all went to work. I'm still so glad that I didn't but now all of my friends work. I love this board and it is a lot of company for me, which I hope it will be for you too. I'll be looking forward to learning more about you and your's.
Old 05-14-2002, 08:31 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

It has been great hearing from so many people. Although I work, I still have the empty nest now, so I can identify with the empty hours. Lately they have become less and less because my dh and I have acquired a Goldwing and love riding. Do any of you ride?

Keep on posting!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-14-2002, 11:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

blushing Hi Jeanie

Hello, Just wanted to say hi!! Im a 34 year old mom to two boys 13 and 4. I also have three older step-kids. I will be 35 in June. I love to Bake!!! Always looking for new recipies to take camping!!! Hugs Kim
Old 05-14-2002, 12:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky SAHMs

Welcome Capaky! I can definitely relate to the loneliness becoming a SAHM can involve. No matter how much you love your children, you still need adult interaction. I became a (single) SAHM suddenly and unexpectedly and not by my choice. I was a legal secretary almost at my goal of being a paralegal when I was diagnosed with bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome. After having surgery on both hands, I was told that I will never be able to do that type of job again. I am still on workers comp, but that may terminate next month. The carpal tunnel, along with my myriad other physical limitations (deaf in one ear, bad back, two bad ankles, bad knees, bulging disk in my neck, and migraines with vision changes) are now making it very, very difficult to even think of another job that I can do as I cannot stand or walk much, have to be able to move around, can't lift or carry (5-10 pound limit), and now I have very limited use of my hands. When everything else still worked, I was turned down for many jobs due to my hearing. (Any ideas anyone???) I really got a lot of my self-worth and self-confidence from my job, and that was taken from me suddenly with nothing to replace it. Along with everything else, I also have severe depression and related problems.

I have (so far:p ) maintained my sanity in several ways. I count my blessings, such as having more time with my precious son. I also have taken advantage of being a SAHM by homeschooling him. (This is not easy, as a lot of people assume, but he's worth it!) I maintain email contact with many, many friends (another blessing). Phone contact helps also. Because funds are severely limited, I can't "do lunch" like I used to, but picnic lunches with friends are good when possible (very rarely). I am looking for a good church and a homeschool support group. I am also thankful for my new cyberfriends here! It has been really hard to adjust to all of the changes, the severe financial crunch, the loneliness, and the depression, but (like you), seeing the improvement in my child is wonderful and priceless!

Hang in there! Sorry to be so long-winded! It also has helped me to realize that I am not the Lonely Lone Ranger here!

rica
Old 05-14-2002, 01:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello, Tutterbear35

I have 1 son, 6 years old and 2 girls--9 and 17. I LOVE to bake too and go camping. In fact, I was thinking today about taking a weekend trip.
Baking is one of my favorites. It is a little more challenging for me since becoming a Diabetic, but I experiment now.
Have you ever fixed Hobo dinners while camping? We love them and so easy and not much mess. I would love to share recipes and ideas with you on baking and camping.
I am a handicap Aide and teacher's assistant at our High School... enjoy it..... have a great day!!!
Jeanie
Old 05-14-2002, 03:25 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thank You!

I already know I will like it here! Thank you for the encouragement! You know, it's not just the stay at home mom thing...When people find out that I don't work, they almost understand. But when they find out that I wash out baggies and aluminum foil- YIKES! Then I get things like grape jelly from various people. I have 8 jars in the cupboard right now! It cracks me up though, because that is probably the one thing I can afford! You can only eat PB&J so much!
Rica thanks for welcoming me. I know it must be a challenge for you. My mom had carpel tunnel and my sister and it is VERY painful. I hope all works out for you.
And thank you too Prarie rose! It's nice to know we are not alone! The first couple of months at home, I went on overload trying to prove that I WAS productive, even if I wasn't getting paid. I'm over it now! I think I've found a nice balance to my routines (thank you Flylady! ) And now I just feel the only thing missing is friends!
Old 05-15-2002, 04:25 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

New Here

I love it here!!! I love finding new ways to be frugal. I've been lurking for a few days just to see what it was like (many boards are not what they seem, or they don't pertain to what they say they do. Know what I mean?)

Anyway, I can't wait to jump in!

Trish

Closed Thread