Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

International Canada, England, and other countries

Old 06-08-2002, 08:42 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing Hi from Beautiful B.C.

Hi,
I am presently living in the Thriving Metropolis of Rolla, LOL ( for all you Vancouverites, Victorians and Thoses living behind the "Tweed Curtain" in Oak Bay, that's about 22 kilometers n/e of Dawson Creek) . Hope to here from many other B.C'ers.
Looking forward to moving to Creston B.C. , sometime soon, if the house sells.
Old 06-09-2002, 07:34 AM
FamilyCorner Groupie

HI

Grandma Annie,

I am also in Beautiful British Columbia. I am closer to Harrison Hot Springs though . I didn't think anyone else was on here from B.C lol

I have lived in BC for 24 years ( originally from England) and i just love it here. The mountains are right in my back yard and the scenery is just so beautiful.;-)

Just wanted to let you know that there was a fellow BCer on board too

Sue
Old 06-10-2002, 11:57 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Sue,
I know where you are. I was born and raised in Vancouver, B.C.
Later lived on Vancouver Island and then moved north to work at the facility I am now at.
We are looking forward to being able to move to the Creston area one day in the not too distant future.
Glad to see someone else from B.C.
Old 06-11-2002, 06:38 AM
FamilyCorner Groupie

gramma annie

I dont think i have ever been to Creston before .... i will have to look it up on the map and see where it is. I know it is a nice place but i am not sure where it is lol

Thank you for starting this thread . So many times you will belong to a group on line only to discover that everyone is from the USA and no one is ever from near where you live Lets hope we see lots more BCers step up and show themselves

Nice to hear from another BCer

Sue
Old 06-11-2002, 08:08 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Sue,

Creston in between Trail and Calgary. small town, but I think a beautiful (and warm in summer ) place. Not quite as hot as the Okanagan, but small valley with similar climate and many fewer people.

What kinds of things do you like to do? right now I'm doing a lot of gardening, as we get a short summer but just now about 19 hours a day of daylight. After September the days get short fast.

Today I took a day off work, and I'm meeting my Daughter and then going to see my Grandaughter's year end do at school. She is in Kindergarden in the French immersion program. It's unbelievable how far she has come in 1 year of parttime classes. She is even teaching her sister the alphabet and her numbers in French. My youngest Grandaughtrer is only 3. I missed all this with the other 3 Grandkids as they all live in Edmonton.

Well will run for now. So glad you answered and I hope well meet a few more fellow BC'ers.

Pat
Old 06-11-2002, 06:17 PM
FamilyCorner Groupie

hi

Hi there Pat,

Creston does sound liek a very nice place to live. Maybe one day i will actually get to visit the area We live in the small town just before Harrison Hot Springs

We are actually going to the Okanagan on the July long weekend camping with my parents. It should be very hot that weekend as last year it was a scorcher up there lol

You asked me what I like to do... well i like to do crafts ( x-stitching , sewing, fabric painting , etc) ,collect angels and unicorn items, read , meet new people on the internet, write snail mail letters to pen friends, cook umm and a whole whack of other things

How did the year end event at your granddaughters school go? i am guessing it was like a graduation. My middle daughter is in grade 6 and she is having a graduation this year as she is moving up to the high school .Next year it will be my youngests turn to graduate from grade 6 into highschool. WOW time flies huh lol

Well, i should get going and finish helping with the dinner dishes .
Talk to you soon

Sue
Old 06-12-2002, 11:50 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Sue,

Late here, I've just got home from work. Megan's French Immersion Kindergarden program was priceless. The two classes joined together and sang about 8 french songs, this was held in the gymnasium. Of course they were simple songs, but I was impressed with the amount of French they had learned and the variety of subjects their songs covered. Back in the class room we were treated to tea of coffee and baked goodies. All around the room were their art projects that followed different artists styles. So they had learned about impressionist painters, and many of the great artists, even one section was their interpetations of picasso! I never had such a good amount of time spent learning about the different art styles in all my school years and it wasn't till I started learning on my own that I started to understand what the artist were trying to do.
I am just getting back into sewing. I'm the kind of person who needs uninterupted time to sew. Also I'm jetting odds and ends together so I can practice painting when I retire. I have done a small amount of acryilic painting, and would love to get into trowing clay and having a kiln and potters wheel, but just now that's too far out of my budget.
Well, I will close for now and go to bed.
Take care,
Pat
Old 06-13-2002, 08:29 AM
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi :)

Hi Pat,

Your granddaughters graduation sounds just awesome. Even though my kids arent in French Immersion i do know lots of parents that have kids in the program... you are right it is amazing how much they learn in the first year of the program. I used to babysit this one little girl who was in the french immersion program lol it was funny because i am British and only know very very few words in french ... and this little girl would have whole conversations with me in french until she realized that i didnt understand a word she was saying then it became a game for her to get me to guess what she wanted to do lol I was taught a few french words from her while babysitting lol

My mom and I enter craft fairs locally and sell our crafts there. We have sewn thousands of things together. It is a time that we can spend together doing the things that we both love to do without the men in our lives bugging us

I dont know about the weather where you are but the last few days here have been HOT... so hot that i have been putting ice infront of the fans to cool the house down ( we dont have an A/C )

Well, i suppose i had better go and get my day started by doing laundry and all the other lovely things moms have to do when the kids are at school lol

Talk to you soon . Have a wonderful day !!

Sue
Old 06-17-2002, 02:35 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Good Morning, Sue.

Are your craft fairs you go in year round or just winter ones? Your lucky to have your Mom to craft with, my Mom died last year, She had Alzhiemers, I miss her but the last while she lived she had so little quality of life. I have two friends and we usually go in 2 craft fairs near Christmas time. I don't do many crafts, some jewlery items ( only simple things, and a few ornaments, but they do a lot of things like sewing, dried floral arrangements, dried floral pictures, one of the ladies husband does wood worked items, like plant stands and picture frames. It's hard to know what will sell, some times it's one thing sometimes another.

I don't craft in the summer, if I can be outside gardening then that's where I'll be. Last evening I was pruning all the branches on our roses, and a bush ( I have no idea what it is, it has pink little flowers on it that turn into translucent orange tiny fruits - ) anyway anything that didn't have new growth on it has been cut away. We have a double lot, and there is lots of yard work. My main garden is just starting to take off now and will grow fast till the end of agust then gardening is finnished, mainly just clean up till next spring.

Hope, your having good weather, we have finnally had some much needed rain. Now, we're ready for more sun, never pleasing a gardner, we always want just one more flower, or rain or sun or??????

talk to you again soon,

Pat
Old 06-30-2002, 11:12 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

another BC'R!

hello to my fello bc'rs!!

I live in Port Alberni, on Vancouver Island. I grew up in Coquitlam, moved to Nanaimo when I got married, then on the Port Alberni in 1983. I did not want to move here. I thought it was going to be awful, but it has turned out to be a wonderful community to raise a family in. We love it here for many reasons. It is beautiful, especially when the sun comes to visit......I suppose if you want to live in a rain forest you must expect it to rain! There've been many times when I thought I we would need to build an ark....
I have two children. Becky, age 20, who is actually returning today from a two month trip to Vietnam and Bangkok!!!
YAHOO!!! She is in her second year of nursing at Malaspina College in Nanaimo, and this trip was a work exchange program. She got to work in orphanages and special facilities set up to treat those still effected by Agent Orange used in the Vietnam war.
My son Andrew, age 18, has just graduated and is looking for summer work. He's not in such a hurry to see the world and will hopefully stay home with his mummy for a couple more years:p
I also joined another thread on this site about "un- frumping" I believe you are also there Sue. I recognize "crafty-Sue"!!!
This is soooooooo wonderful to find this wesite. I'm looking forward to getting to know many new friends!

Enjoy the long weekend
beth