Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Healthy Living > Beauty > Inner Beauty

Inner Beauty Self esteem, spirituality, mental health...

Old 01-01-2003, 09:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Empty slate

How do you plan on filling your new, empty slate for 2003?

peace,train
Old 01-02-2003, 09:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I intend to be more creative this year in as many areas of my life as I can. I'm don't plan on stressing myself over it, I just plan to recognize creativity in my little world when I see it.

What about you?
Old 01-02-2003, 10:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

First of all my empty slate needs a job...that is my #1 goal. We have BILLS TO PAY!!
Once I have a job I will plan on filling my time with other activities depending on what my schedule is. Ideally I would like time to go to a gym that teaches yoga and be able to fit in a little volunteer work...something involving babies would do my heart good.
Peace,train
Old 01-10-2003, 04:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I would like to work on finding more patience. I'm short tempered and quick to anger this past year. I think it's hormonal but it's no excuse to be an "ugly person". I hope to find myself with at least an occasional day to myself to work on "just me" time. It's hard to be on 24/7 without some down time!
Spiritually I want to become more involved with my church and spend more time in quiet devotional time.

It's so nice to dream.

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 07-10-2003, 06:13 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well, it's now July--how are the slates coming? Mine is going well, I think. My goals were to lose weight and de-stress. Well, I've gone from a 22 to a 14 and have been meditating in the evenings, also practicing yoga. I've been working on seeing the positives in any given situation, and just SMILING more lol!! Everyone has noticed the changes--even me. A friend of long standing summed it up. He said, "You are so quick to laugh now." I never realized that I was so negative all the time. But I figured out(finally) that walking around with a frown and holding grudges wasn't changing anything. Dh still hasn't changed his ways, the kids are still little terrors, we still don't have enough money...but I cannot control that. I can only control my reactions to it--and mastering this skill is what's important to me right now. And yes, I do believe the amount of weight I've lost is a contributing factor lol!! If I can discipline myself to steer clear of junk food and excercise daily, that I can discipline myself to not start screaming and creating stress in my home when something comes up!!
Old 07-10-2003, 06:28 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Mrs.Maniac,
Good for you! Sounds like you have come along way this year!
Leighann
Old 07-10-2003, 06:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Mrs Maniac I am SO proud of and for you! WOW that is an incredible accomplishment on the weight loss alone. HOW are you doing it? I need so badly to lose--had lost 42 pounds at one time then suffered a set back and have not been able to find the motivation or will since. (I gained all plus some back). Please do share if you can. My health is definitely dependent on losing--I'm a diet controlled diabetic.

As for the attitude change bravo again! I am so completely hormonal since entering menopause that I can go from smiling to screaming in 0.0 seconds. My poor dh was the victim recently. We had been talking and relaxing, discussing smoenthing I don't even recall now. It wasn't an unpleasant subject though so it wasn't what set me off. We got up to start dinner (I do recall we were grilling hotdogs) and he casually mentioned that there were open bags of chips in the cabinet to please not open more. I went nuts! I knew they were getting stale but he didn't. I also knew that the bags contained mostly crumbs. Instead of pointing this out I just grabbed the bags and threw the crumbs in a bowl and crisped them in the microwave, all the while saying "You want crumbs we'll HAVE crumbs!". My poor husband came back into the house from the grill and said "WHAT is your problem?!" I let him have it over the "forced" eating of stale crumbs.
I know this is hormonal so I hope my family can stand me until I get through this. I can't stand myself most of the time though! :p

I have decided that I am going to set mini-goals for my weight loss. My first goal is to lose enough that my face doesn't look so "doughy" the only term I can find to describe it. It doesn't look like this when looking straight into a mirro (those thigs are such liars! ) but when I catch a glimpse of my face in a car side mirror there is no denying it.

Once again--bravo and congratulations! You are an inspiration.

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 07-10-2003, 08:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I echo Nagymoms words....congratulations to you Mrs. Maniac! You are an inspiration to us all!!!

It seems I have gone backwards, rather than forwards in my goals this year. My #1 goal was a financial one. We are still in debt from my husbands layoff last year even tho he IS working now. The unemployement rate is horribly high here in California and I too was unemployed for 9 months until I could find work (We had just moved here from Texas...which is why I was out of work in the first place.....)
I AM working now but I HATE the job. I stay overnight with a disabled woman who requires around the clock care. She sleeps well so it is not the work itself I hate . It is the neighborhood which is in the most dangerous side of town. One of our clients was murdered 3 weeks ago. Just last week was an attempted breakin right next door to where I work at 3 in the morning. I can't repeat the language that was being said on this forum so I will leave that to your imagination. The men trying to break in were caught in my front yard and arrested....not related to work, but along the same line, 5 family members were slain just 2 nights ago here in Bakersfield. That is national news now so I am sure some of you have heard about it. A grandma, her daughter and 3 babies shot to death.
I have had nightmares the past 3 weeks. We NEED the money so I can't quit but we are very close to going back to one paycheck until I can find something else for the sake of my sanity.
It took nine months to find THIS job.

I have also, like you Nagymom, been extremely moody except for I cannot yet blame it on menopause.

I TOO need to lose some weight...25 pounds...........what has worked for you Mrs Maniac? You know, I've always loved that name!!!!

peace, (tho I'm not feeling much of it), train
Old 07-10-2003, 09:19 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks for the encouraging words, ladies . Train, omg, I don't see how you're doing it! That's a bit too close to home. I grew up in a dangerous part of town, so I know ho scary it can be!! I'll be praying something works out for you!! Financial goals are sometimes the toughest because they never stop--bills keep coming whether the money is there or not. It took me a few years to catch up from being laid off, and that was with finding a cheaper place to live, carpooling to work, and getting a better job. Hang in there--it WILL work out!!

As far as my weight loss goes--I can tell you it's been a long road lol!! For the first few months nothing happened. I actually gained and got bigger:mad: . But I kept plugging away at it--joined a gym(Curves) and tried to be careful about what I eat. I'm diabetic, too, and try to stay away from the junk. Don't usually succeed, though hehe! Then one day I weighed myself and 20 pounds were just gone! A month later I'd dropped another 7. It was hard to notice because with it being so cold I was always in baggy clothes(sweats, sweaters, etc). Now that it's summer, the diference has attracted a lot of attention lol!! I do at least 15 minutes of aerobics a day, whether it's walking fast around the block or just dancing like a fool to the radio while I clean the house. I do more if I have the time and/or the energy. I also lift weights and do spot toning--I literally started with a can of tomato sauce in each hand and went from there lol. I did some research on spot excercises and do two sets of the ones I picked every day. It takes me less time to work out than it does to shower and have breakfast. I had to quit the gym for financial reasons, but have found that now that I'm seeing the results every week, it's easier to keep going at home!

My diet? Don't have one. I gave up and basically eat whatever I want, with a few exceptions that wreak havoc on my sugar level lol!! If I want ice cream, I have some. But not a banana split. Now I've found I can cut down even more if I use a cone instead of a bowl. I try to stick to healthy choices, but if I flub I just add a few more minutes to my workout. Helps with the guilt so I don't get depressed and quit. Though I have been using those Stacker2's and they help a little. I pretty much just use those on days I completely trash myself--loads of junk and no excercise.

I'm still working on my attitude--I fly off the handle too often. But I'm getting there. What's that saying, "Don't sweat the small stuff. And it's all small stuff."

Good luck to you guys--it will happen!! If I can do it, you guys can, too!!
Old 07-15-2003, 09:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Mrs. Maniac,
Thanks for your kind thoughts and prayers. I appreciate them.
I am looking for other work but am keeping this job in the meantime because we desperately need the money. I am thinking of getting some pepper spray to take to work with me.
I am hanging in there.

What did you think of Curves? We have one here and I have been thinking of maybe joining....unless I quit my job.....so have kind of been putting it off until I know I have a stable job.
I think your idea of just eating whatever you want and watching the portions makes good sense. My problem is my sweet tooth, it's a daily thing, I've GOT to have candy or cookies or something sweet. I will look back at this post when I am ready to start losing my extra weight because your words are very motivating. Thank you.

Jayne. HOW are you doing??? Did you throw out all those old chip crumbs???!!! Hang in there, girlfriend! (I don't anticipate menopause for a couple years yet but I will be writing to you when I get there ... for your advice and stories....they will all seem so funny to you down the road....on your postmenopuasal days!!!)
I say give your husband the crumbs and save the good chips for YOU Love, Donna

peace,train