Empty slate - Page 2 - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Inner Beauty Self esteem, spirituality, mental health...

Old 07-15-2003, 10:35 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Train, look around your area for this stuff called "Cap-Stun"--it works like mace but instead of burning it causes breathing passages to swell and knocks out your attacker for 45 minutes or so. I have some and love it. I got it at a uniform store.

I would really recommend Curves--it's a good basic all-over workout that only takes 1/2 hour. The machines are hydraulic, so you can control how much effort you're putting into the excercises. Plus, it's not a meat market--everyone there has a weight problem, or at least had one. There were times when I was the smallest person there!! Also, upon reading about you're sweet tooth...if you have to have it, go ahead. I spent so much time fighting the urge to just eat the stupid cookies...and then I'd be mad because I had the urge to start with, upset because I knew they'd be on my hips with just a nibble, depressed because I was so fat I didn't dare eat them.... trust me, a sweet a day will not hurt if it keeps you happy. Just be sure to balance it out with better choices throughout the day. One thing I have found--the longer you go without the fat and sugar, the less you want it. If you always eat the good stuff, sometimes eat the so-so stuff, and never eat the really bad stuff(like the WHOLE BAG) you'll do fine.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi MrsManiac,
Thanks for the recommendation on the Cap Sun; I Will have to look for that.
The past week at work has been real quiet...good for my nerves after the past couple weeks!!

I am going to check out Curves...........do you remember what it cost to go?
Oh yes, I LOVE sweets, last night we were at some friends house and she had made a marionberry pie!!! YUM!!!
I like the last line you wrote........"If you always eat the good stuff, sometimes the so-so stuff and never eat the really bad stuff (the whole bag) you'll do fine!!!
Makes sense, wish I could do a better job though!!

take care, Donna (Train)
Old 07-22-2003, 09:59 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Curves

Donna--when I joined they were running a special that waived the membership fee, so I don't know how much that is. But they ran specials all the time for new memberships, so even if they're not having one, they probably will be soon lol!! The monthly fee was $29 if they took the money directly from your checking account, $39 if they didn't. And you can pay per month instead of kicking out a few hundred bucks all at once. Plus, you can work out daily--some places only let you work out every other day.

If there's one near you, talk to the manager and see if you could try it for a week and see if you like it. They do that for people here all the time!
Old 07-24-2003, 08:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks, Mrs.M.!
Have a great day!
Train
Old 05-19-2004, 03:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I can't believe I started this thread back in 2003........the time just goes so fast.
My Slate is Empty Again. I quit my job this week. The woman I took care of went into the State Hospital and the company wanted to put me with someone who was just WAY to challenging for me. I don't feel like going into the details again but IF you are interested...go to the prayer partner thread. I just posted there.

My Question. What would YOU do, given an empty slate to fill, keeping in mind you had to find another job, and you had to be frugal with any activities you did in the meantime. But just in general, too? How would you spend your time?

I plan on watching daytime TV!! That ones a biggie with me!! I havn't seen Oprah in over a year due to the fact I worked nights and slept days!! I like Strating Over, Oprah and Ellen Degeneres. I am not really into soaps. I do enjoy going to the library but I wish they had videos too. We do have a "dollar" theatre and I guess renting an occasional movie won't break the bank. I can work on my scrapbooks as long as I don't have to buy anything. I am going to focus on NOT spending any money on eating out, to make sure I have lunch before I go do any errands and to bring a drink/ snack with me. I know I can easily spend too much at Taco Bell!

We will do alright on one paycheck but we really need 2......we are in a lot of debt due to my husband being laid off 2 years ago and due to things beyond our control like the dog breaking her leg....the washer breaking in the move.....pipes bursting in the yard...plumbing problems....spiders.......does it ever end!!!!!!
We will just have to cut out all the extras like our bowling league, dinners out, weekend trips and the retreats I like to go on a couple times a year..........until I find something else.
Work is hard to find in our area. Took me nine months to find my last job when we moved here from Dallas.

So, My slate is empty. Sometime start overs can be good.
How would you fill an empty slate?

hugs,train
Old 06-04-2004, 08:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I am just feeling very in the dumps today. An empty slate can be a good thing if you know what to fill it with.
I am not a mom. I do not have a career. I don't even have a job. How can it be possible to be 43 and still be wondering what in the world I am supposed to be doing with my life.

Donna
Old 06-16-2004, 11:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I'm feeling better now, just get a little bit dumpy and frumpy sometime!!

I have applied for a few jobs, so will hopefully be working again soon!!

hugs,train

Old 01-30-2006, 09:51 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Trainlady...
You're not alone. Although... I think I read a recent post from you stating you just got a new job? I am still too new at this to know "when" a post was actually posted so that when I read them from different threads I am confused. How is it going with you? I am at this same spot in my life right now... we should talk maybe. We seem to have alot in common. My husband spent 2 1/2 years laid off and just began a new job in October. We ended up selling our home that we built and was blessed to live there 6 years. During the time of his layoff... Both of our daughters graduated high school, both started college, the oldest has gotton her associates degree in Elementary Ed., the younger is in her first year of community college going for phsycology, lost two very close friends (Linda & Kathy) to cancer (I was holing Linda's hand as she passed). I have also learned (sadly) that many of the friends I "thought" I had- I really didn't and friends can hurt & disappoint us... but one thing that has never changed... that has been God's love & care. I feel sad many times throughout my day and wonder "What is after the "..." for me?" ~~TeAnn

Last edited by teann; 01-30-2006 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Teann,
You have a really pretty name!
I am glad you have joined Family Corner and hope you are enjoying your time here as much as I do!

First I want to say how sorry I am that you lost two friends to cancer. That is just heartbreaking. (((hugs)))
I am sorry about your husbands past layoff. You are right, it can sure cause havoc, can't it!
And, am so sorry you had to sell your house. We downsized quite a bit in getting a small house. (I am a clutterbug though so can't say I am a downsizer INSIDE the house!! LOL!!)

I hope your family is doing better now. What about you? What kind of work have you done or/enjoy/ or would like to do? What do you like to do for fun?

My New years resolution LAST year was to spend more time with my friends. That made a huge difference with two girlfriends whose relationships I think I was near losing............so I can relate to the friends thing!

Other than a very short stint at Denny's (that is the thread you read where I "got a job."), I havn't worked in two years.
We could USE two paychecks, who couldn't! But we have cut down drastically on expenses and I have really enjoyed being home and taking care of our little cottage!! We live in a little two bedroom cottage across the street from a park and close to downtown where I take my walks. Notice I didn't say DAILY walks, which is what I SHOULD be doing!! LOL!! I have pretty much readjusted my attitude from when I first wrote this thread! I still have those bad days when I feel low about myself but most of the time now I feel I am enough, if that makes sense!! It was, like, for years I was looking for what my bigger purpose was, so I could fill up my slate, so to speak!! I realize now we aren't all meant to be important or do big things and I fit in that category. I was forever looking for the "Big Whoohoos" and now I just enjoy everyday simple things and that, in a nutshell, has made all the difference!!

Now , my friend, I hope I have made atleast a LITTLE sense and not TOTALLY confused you!!
It was interesting for me going back and reading this thread to see where I was, emotionally, a few years ago!!

My slate is NOW filled with taking care of our home, spending daily quiet time with Jesus, Date nights with Mark, our feeding ministry to the homeless, helping my parents, spending time with extended family and being a good friend!

hugs, train
Old 02-23-2006, 05:58 AM
Nine Year Member

Hi train and teann and the rest of the thread,

My slate is supposed to be filled with finishing craft projects for the house, friends and family, and doing home repairs but for some reason I find myself gabbing on the internet and watching old movies while folding laundry.

I do manage to get started by 8 am, have the house redded up by noon, get dinner out, keep doctor visits and appts and the calendar going being the director of activities, and also manage to do all the things train and you do, helping family, helping friends, save money by not spending any (hard and easy at the same time).

So while many long term things still stand and my goal of two per week is not realized, I also am doing gel time. Gel time is where a person stops and thinks instead of always moving. Gel time allows the brain to process and analyze and make smart conclusions about where time is best spent. And gel time also gives me energy so that when the kids come home and the husband comes home, the evenings activities are not draining.

So for 2006 more of the same. I fantasize about what job to go to when the time comes (dds out of high school?) but for the most part, being a homemaker is the job for me for now.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."