Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Inner Beauty Self esteem, spirituality, mental health...

Old 06-15-2002, 03:08 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Spiritual Growth

I am finding that as I get older and focusing more on religion with the children, that I am becoming different on the inside as I read either books or posts on the internet dealing with spiritual growth. It is a nice feeling to know that I am strengthening my relationship with God that makes me a better person. I have always been an empathetic, caring and giving person, but I seem to get a lot more joy out of "random acts of kindness" these days.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi postey,

I am feeling the same way lately! My Dh and I are currently trying to find a church home. We haven't attended in the past few years, but really feel the need to go back. We think that alot has changed since we regularly attended. It seems that every church we try has very modern music, no hymnals, no communion and the services seem very over-produced. We are looking for something alot more traditional. I love the old hymns! I am a terrible at it, but I love to sing! As a matter of fact, I am listening to gospel music and singing right now! LOL!

We are praying and expecting that exactly what we need will come along for us. Lately, I have found myself praying for complete strangers. Sometimes, it's because I see them in some sort of incident, but usually, I just feel that they need my prayers for some reason or another.. so I do.

Jenna
Old 06-21-2002, 05:26 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

That's great. I hope you find what you are seeking soon!
Old 08-22-2002, 04:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Oh, my spiritual life has always been the most important part of my life! Without God and my faith nothing else really matters!
I grew up and remain a Catholic...my early school days started at St. Hedwigs school in Milwaukee Wi. It was there I made my First Communion.
My family moved many times in my life but my faith always remained my constant.
I have spent hundreds and hundreds of hours on my knees in the church chapel which is my favorite quiet place to be! Wooden pews, candles, stained glass windows and silence. I especially love being there when it is raining, listening to the raindrops on the roof.
I married a Baptist man. We have been married 10 years and every Sunday we have supported each other by going to each others services together. Same God. Different buildings. I feel doubly blessed! On the Catholic side I receive quiet contemplation, the eucharist, reconciliation and 42 years of roots. On the Baptist side I receive hand clapping music,a baptism of immersion (I was "Dipped" as a baby...and immersed as an adult!) and wonderful potlucks and felleowship!!!
When people ask my denomination I tell them I am a "Bapolic"!!! LOL!!!
Denomination is just what I grew up with, that is not as important as having faith...and without my faith in God, his forgiveness and second chances, I wonder where I would be!
Have faith and be at peace!
the trainlady
Old 08-23-2002, 02:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Something I forgot to mention yesterday is that my husband and I pray together, out loud, every night before we go to bed. I am glad this is something we started at the beginning of our marriage 10 years ago, because now it is a natural.

Our prayers are simple, sometimes even lighthearted, but always from our hearts. We pray for whatever is going on in our lives and for family and friends.
I think this is one of the best "traditions" we have. 'Just wanted to share.
Peace, train
Old 08-24-2002, 08:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Trainlady, I just read your post to my husband (the one about praying with your husband outloud before bed). He said awww, just like I did. How beautifully wonderful. Our circumstances are a bit different than yours but I would hope that someday soon we too can do this.

Right now, we pray outloud with our four year old. I love his spontenity!

Interestly, I was raised a Baptist and converted to Catholicism Holy Saturday, two years ago. Because my husband had children from his first marriage and I had from mine, we each stayed in our own denomination with our children; frequently visiting each other's churches.

When God blessed us four years ago with our son, you can imagine the struggle over how to raise him. We left it up to God and one night three years ago, he spoke to me in bed and told me to try it (Catholism). I thought my husband was going to have a heart attack when I told him what God had placed on my heart. I felt so at peace about it though because of the clear message from God. Midway through the RCIA process, sitting in mass one Sunday morning. I felt the Holy Spirit literally push me to my knees. I cried from joy ( my husband was trying to figure out what in the world was the matter, poor guy). It took me probably 20-30 minutes to get myself composed (I just stayed on my knees). When I told him that I had definitely decided to convert, he was, of course ,overjoyed and appreciative. I was so at peace and so humbled. Telling my family was difficult, my mother still has some problems, but she was very glad that it was a God move for me and not "just because we had a baby".

Our son was baptised after I converted. My older son is almost 18. He says he doesn't feel abandoned by me and knows I will go to church with him whenever he desires. He attends church with his girlfriend now, for which I am very grateful.

Peace be with you.
Old 08-26-2002, 04:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Julie, What a wonderful, blessed story! Thank you for sharing about your faith!! God is with you in whatever building, or in whatever place you choose to worship Him.. He is always there for us!!! That is so true for me since I do, literally, worship in 2 different places!!!
I know you made your husband very happy!!!
peace,train
Old 08-27-2002, 09:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Train, thanks for the kind words. I want to say how marvelous it is to me that you guys worship with each other in both churches. I agree. God is with us wherever we are. I really don't think that there is a Methodist room in heaven and a Catholic room and a Baptist room and so on. We are all there together in the presence of our risen Lord and Savior in one great, glorious space.

Peace be with you.
Old 09-09-2002, 10:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Julie, What is the church like that you attend? What kind of church activiteie are you in/or interest you?
We go to a very old church which I love with all the stained glass windows and candles. I tend to not feel as prayerfull in more modern catholic churches as I am a very visual person.
I just started a nine week bible study last week. I am a Eucharistic minister and love to help with Church retreats!!
I usually go to all the Womens ministries type activities at both churches!!!
We had an awesome memorial service for 9-11 on Sunday. The Colr Guard walked down the aisle with the flag, we sang the Natinal Anthem and then listened to memories and stories of 9-11. Not One dry eye in the whole church.

peace,train
Old 09-10-2002, 09:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Our church is one of those new ones. We live in a "blossoming" suburb where everything is less than 20 years old. Having grown up in a old small town--I much prefer the old--but this is where God planted us.

Anyway, right now I only go to mass. Our four year old has behavior problems that make it impossible to get care for him so that I can be freed up to join in the Women's Ministry, etc. I know from having older children that this time passes quickly and my time will come to be involved in more things.

In case you are wondering why my hubby doesn't care for him for me, well he works two jobs so that I am able to stay home with Rob. Our teenagers both have jobs and social lives and Rob just isn't their responsibility. I know that you can't have children and so I know you understand how important it is for me to spend my time doing the job God has honored me with now. My time will come soon enough.