Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Infants Every little coo, every little finger and toe. Who can resist babies. What are your thoughts and concerns?

Old 08-12-2002, 05:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Any breastfeeding mom's out there?

Hello Everyone...Just interested to see if anyone out there is breastfeeding? How is it going? Are you weaning yet? How long have you done it for?
Old 09-29-2002, 06:11 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My dd and I are a very happy and contented breastfeeding "couple". She is 10 months old and just starting to get interested in solid foods. She has been nursing a bit less as she eats more food, but still often during the night. I'm planning on letting her take the lead with weaning and not rush into anything.
I always planned on breastfeeding, but never knew what a magical and extraordinary experience it would be. I'm currently studying to become accredited as a Le Leche League leader, and working towards getting certified as a Lactation Consultant. More than anything, I'd love to help women to discover and use this incredible gift we posess. It seems like such a shame to me that we see artificial formula feeding as the norm, and let the big chemical/formula companies brainwash us into thinking this is an acceptable ideal.
There are many breastfeeding moms out here, it seems. Check out the thread titled "Boob biting", if you are interested.
Glad to find you.
Old 12-27-2002, 03:47 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am breastfeeding our 2 week old and am amazed at how wonderful it is. We have a 7 year old also and there was no support to breastfeed him then and I formula fed. It breaks my heart that I didn't breastfeed him. I'm glad I'm getting a 2nd chance to do it. It's been somewhat of a challenge at first but I'm finding that every day it's getting easier. I even breastfed in public today. I still have a lot to learn, but am finding that it's such an incredible thing to do.
Old 12-27-2002, 08:13 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Congrats on your new baby, and making it through those tough first weeks! Isn't it just overwhelmingly awesome how such a tiny person can inspire such great love?
Breastfeeding is hard work, and you may find you need some support if you reach a rough patch. Although it sounds like you are doing a terrific job. Please reach out for help if you find yourself in an uncomfortable or unfamiliar situation. Often another breastfeeding mother can offer some info or sympathy or experience that is just exactly what you need (which is why LLL works so well for many women). There are also several excellent books (and websites) for breastfeeding families. I'm happy to help, as well. Feel free to pm me, if you ever feel the need for a sympathetic ear. It's sometimes hard to find a nursing "mentor" in our formula-happy culture, and people are too often encouraged to wean at the first sign of trouble.
Blessings to you and your family in the new year!
Old 01-16-2003, 04:32 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks Karin! Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I couldn't get in to post and had to contact tech support to help me. Strange...

Anyway...Owen is now a month old. When we left the hospital, he was 6lbs 4oz and he is now 10lbs! We are doing very well in the breastfeeding dept.

How do you become a certified lactation consultant? Sounds like a wonderful job. I wouldn't mind getting involved in supporting breastfeeding mothers somehow.
Old 01-16-2003, 07:22 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Way to go!

Way to go! Sounds like you two are doing terrifically. Doesn't that make you feel wonderful and proud, to look at his chubby thighs and rosy cheeks and know you "made" that?
Honestly, the best way I know to help support nursing women (including yourself) is to get involved in LeLeche League. There are groups and chapters in most counties throughout the US, and in lots of different countries. Personally, I find my LLL group an important lifeline for all sorts of parenting and relationship issues, not just for breastfeeding. I've met some wonderful friends and received lots of love and guidence there. If you are excited about your wonderful nursing adventure, and want people to share it with, LLL is definitely the place to be!
Ususally, you can find a local chapter by looking in the phone book, talking to your OB/GYNs office, hospital delivery staff or Lactation Consultant, or by checking out their website:
www.lelecheleague.org
another great site, for breastfeeding and parenting help:
www.askdrsears.com
Again, congrats to you and your new nursling! I'm so glad to hear how well things are going.
Old 03-04-2003, 05:37 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks again! I'm SO sorry it's taken me so long again to come here and reply. I got a new email addy and for a while I couldn't post at all...now I'm not getting any emails from this site telling me there's a new post. I'll have to dig around and see why this is.

Well...my breastfed baby is almost 3 months old now and is a CHUNK! I love it! We do very well. He hasn't taken a bottle yet, in fact I had a hair appt. last night and left a bottle of expressed milk for dh to feed him, but he didn't want it. Are there bfeeding women out there like me who don't mind if their babies don't take a bottle? Every mom I run into seems to look at me as though I'm an alien when I tell them that he doesn't take one. Maybe eventually I'll change my mind, but for the time being I'm fine with it. I DO have plenty of frozen breastmilk just in case--mostly I just pump when I'm too full, but I freeze it because I can't bear to waste good milk! LOL!

I've wanted to get involved in LLL, but the closest one is a little too far for me right now.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:11 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Extended breastfeeder here... My DD is 21 months old and still nurses! My first only nursed for 7 months.

I have always loved breastfeeding my babies. I always loved when they were newborns, getting them weighed and realizing that I was making them grow... it was all me! Plus all the health benefits! I have noticed the difference "benefits" between both daughters with their different amounts of nursing time. My youngest has never had an ear infection, while my oldest has. My youngest will eat anything and everything, my oldest won't... I believe that to be b/c youngest spent more time on the breast, getting more "flavors" than older. Just this past week, younger DD had the flu... I swear if she still wasn't nursing, she would have become dehydrated and ended up in the hospital... the only thing she would keep down was breastmilk.

My only real problems is the other people who say "You're still nursing her?" and all that crap.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:14 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello all. My daughter is 3 months old. My husband use to give her a bottle of formula before she went to bed, so she'd sleep through the night, also I thought I wasn't producing enough milk. But its been over a month since we gave her formula. I was producing enough milk and there is no reason to give her any formula. Only time she's getting a bottle is when its full of expressed breastmilk. And everyone tells you to not introduce a baby to a bottle before 3 weeks of age, not true. My baby knew the difference between breast and bottle.

Sometimes I'm kinda shy to breastfed in public. So I would pump before we go anywhere. She's a cute chunky baby, her daddy calls her "Chunk", I would call her "Piglet", chubby babies are so cute. Breastfeeding is wonderful, seeing my little one suckling at my breast warms my heart. It brings mother and baby a little closer.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:13 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am a breastfeeding mother too! When my DS was born a year ago he would not nurse at all, so I pumped. But within 30 hours of birth he was diagnosed with a brain hemmorrage and had to be taken to our area Children's Hospital for emergency brain surgery. He was in the hospital for 2 weeks. My mind set was that I pumped every 2 -3 hours. Since there was really nothing I could do for him to help him recover, I knew this is what I HAD to do. He is now just over a year and still nursing like crazy. He just started some jarred foods, so he nurses just a little less. You always know your kids need you, but they way grabs me tight and won't let go until I nurse makes me so happy and lets me know I made the right decision for us.