Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Infants

Infants Every little coo, every little finger and toe. Who can resist babies. What are your thoughts and concerns?

Old 06-07-2014, 09:36 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Diaper Rash Remedies In Your Home?

Tips, tricks, remedies...
Old 09-09-2014, 08:44 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

When/if the rash was bad, two diapers folded together sans rubber pants (through the day), with a dusting of browned flour/corn starch as a diaper powder. Vaseline (overnight).
Old 11-14-2014, 11:01 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Another practice I did, was pull a little of the diaper out through the elastic leg holes of baby's rubber pants, which helped pad sensitive skin on tender little legs.

Yes, I know, a mother risks leaking and wicking when diaper material isn't completely tucked in and under rubber pants elastic openings, but sometimes baby's comfort is more important than worrying about diapering the proper way.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:47 PM
Head Moderator
FamilyCorner Addict

I used A & D ointment on both of my boys as babies. Never had any problem with it and cloth diapers. Now with all the new style cloth diapers (which I am slowly getting into sewing) they say any petroleum products make the cloth diapers non absorbent so looking at the newer diaper rash things. There is supposed to be a protecting powder called Caldesene, and another item called California Baby sold at Target.

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life
Old 11-16-2014, 03:52 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Yep... good old A&D Ointment! Never used it in my own home, but still remember the scent of it from my babysitting days.

I used Desitin and Diaparene... plain old Vaseline, too... never worried about the diapers becoming greasy, however, I do remember how icky the elastics on the rubber pants would get!

For diaper rash, I loved using plain cloth diapers (sans rubber pants). I found when my kids had a diaper rash and I was using rubber pants, changing their diapers always made them cry, because the elastic legs of the rubber pants would irritate their chafed legs when I pulled them off/down, so plain pinned-diapers worked out best in my home, though sans rubber pants wasn't always possible.

CL. Thanks for mentioning the powder and ointment recommendations.

Last edited by Miss Money Penny; 11-16-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:59 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

CL. How about rubber pants when diaper rash was present... did you still use rubber pants?
Old 11-17-2014, 06:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I love using A&D and cornstarch baby powder. I really don't need anything else. They are tried and true.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:44 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I remember using plain old cornstarch, too, Mom, and it worked. Pan-browned flour works wonders, too. Doesn't get anymore frugal than that.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I was a Desitin user (and still am when hemorrhoids act up!). A&D never really worked for me, must have been our limestone water maybe? Once I was up all night and my dh watched me bring the toothbrush to my mouth with Desitin on it, and no, he couldn't stop me in time. Took most of the day to get it off my teeth and lips.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 11-17-2014, 11:01 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I never gave thought to the hemorrhoid medicinal qualities of Desitin! Thanks for the tip, Ellen! Both me and my husband are occasional sufferers.

LOL... Re: your tooth-brushing incident! Yes, most definitely, I can see what a challenge it would have been to remove the film on your teeth and lips!